The Dark Mod Forums

malloc and the tears of salvation

lupus

i've tried everything I could find; Messing around with the doom config, Updating my drivers, turning off any extra processes. I just can't get tears of salvation to work. I have had no other problems with the other dark mod missions. It seems heart of lone salvation won't work on my computer. The game loads the mission but at the end freezes before the missions starts. If I wait a couple minutes it crashes and gives the text in the following .txt file. The mission never even begins. :( it would be greatly appreciated if anyone can solve my problem.

It appears i've combined to fan mission names. This topic is for the heart of lone salvation only. I apologize in my title confuses anyone.

error.txt

Edited by lupus

I had Malloc Errors in one map too, funny enough some of the map was mine... Could never get it to load. Nobody else had issues.

I unzipped it.

dmapped it

(console

dmap mapname)

then rezipped it, and it loaded just fine. Might be worth a try but it might take half hour to compile...

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Hmmmmmmm...

This is concerning. Malloc errors are when the Doom3 engine runs out of space, but with 8 gb of ram you shouldn't have any difficult playing the game :unsure:

My only guess would be an issue with the 64 bit O/S. Does anyone know any 64 bit related issues with D3?

IIRC the source code comes out next month. I can't wait till the team can dive in and find the problems behind these IDT4 issues.

Hmmmmmmm...

This is concerning. Malloc errors are when the Doom3 engine runs out of space, but with 8 gb of ram you shouldn't have any difficult playing the game :unsure:

My only guess would be an issue with the 64 bit O/S. Does anyone know any 64 bit related issues with D3?

Doom3 is a 32bit process, and these cannot allocate more than 2 Gbyte under Windows (3 Gbyte under Linux),the rest (up to 4 Gbyte) is reserved for the kernel.

A 64bit OS here means just that D3 can allocate the full 32 bit space, and there is still enough memory left over for other applications, not that D3 gets more memory.

The reason is that a 32 bit app can only addressare 32 bit (which translates to 4 Gbyte memory), and half of that adress space is reserved for the OS. So you only get 2 Gbyte left over.

IIRC the source code comes out next month. I can't wait till the team can dive in and find the problems behind these IDT4 issues.

Yeah, unfortunately, we also have first to merge the new source code and our source code, probably with heavy modifying because we changed a lot in our copy. I am not sure how easy that will be, or how long it takes (or who will/can do it, anyway).

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The first thing I suggest you do (which I forgot about before typing all of the below) is to patch your "Doom3.exe" file so that it can address more than 2GB as mentioned above. The util you need is called the 4GB patcher, this should stop those malloc errors - if it dosent and you need to dmap, see below.

how does one do that? is the editor used?

Easy, follow the following steps.

• Delete the folder/s called heart from 'Doom3' folder and the 'FMs' folder inside the darkmod folder.
  • Create a folder in the rot of your Doom3 folder called "Heart"
  • upacks the contents of heart to said folder.
  • Create a short-cut to the doom3.exe in the root of the Doom3 folder.
  • Right click on said short-cut and go to the properties and then find the target entry.
  • The add the following to the end of the text already in there ' com_allowConsole 1 +set fs_game_base darkmod +set fs_game heart '
  • Then rename this short-cut to what ever you like, I would Suggest "heart"

For me my target looks follows "D:\Games\Doom\Doom3.exe +set com_allowConsole 1 +set fs_game_base darkmod +set fs_game heart"

• +set com_allowConsole 1 = this allow the console to be brought up by only pressing the acute key (the one above the tab key) instead of the usual Doom3 method of 3 buttons (ctrl-alt-acute)
  • +set fs_game_base darkmod = this is to set the base folder for the mod itself, so doom3 know where theses files are.
  • +set fs_game business = this is to set the game folder for the mission, so doom3 know where theses files are (in this case Heart)

Now your probably wondering why I have stated all of the above, well heart along with lots of mission have custom content (in this case textures). i wont go into to details but put simply the map wont compile (dmap) without these textures.

• So now you have a new short-cut on your desk to Heart, but before firing up Darkmod there is one last step! go into the newly created "Heart" folder and find the "maps" folders and what you need to do then is delete all the folder in that folder bar "heart.map" and "heart.script" (again I wont go into to details why they are needed)
  • Next double click on your Heart short-cut and load up Darkmod.
  • Press the acute key to bring up the console and then type "dmap heart" - at this pint a load of text will whizz up the screen and will take upto 5 minutes to perform.
  • Close down TDM and browse back to the Heart folder and remove the following files 'config.spec' 'DoomConfig' 'gamex86.dll'
  • Then while still inside the Heart folder select all the files and click on the "send to" then "compressed (zipped) folder" option - this will create a zip archive.
  • Copy said archive to your desktop and rename the whole file to "heart.pk4"

And there you have a new compiled version of the Heart mission, copy the heart.pk4. to your fms folder in your darkmod folder. And finally delete the heart folder and short cut. Then play the Darkmod as normal.

If this is all confusing I can make a small video tut for link it etc

Verify that these cvars are properly set in your DoomConfig.cfg:

image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"

image_useNormalCompression "2"

image_useAllFormats "1"

image_useCompression "1"

image_preload "1"

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

the 4 gb patch worked like a charm. thanks biker dude. hopefully I have no further trouble.

Your welcome :-)

This is interesting. This is the first case I've known where the 4GB patcher is needed to play an FM rather than just compile. It suggests you have a lot of other stuff running at the same time.

Elo Fids, would you agree we should 'all' be patching doom3 with said patcher because its just good practice. This info should be in the faq as Im kinda getting ever so slightly tired of repeating this info about the patcher over and over again...-_-