The Dark Mod Forums

[DR1.6.1] white model textures

SeriousToni

Hi all :)

Due to Baddcog, who helped me out very nice and patient with the first problems while creating my very own models (and many hours of trial and error) I got the first models working nicely ingame since yesterday and I'm working diligently on new ones.

Since I'm creating complexer models, I got the issue, that the textures are not showing properly in Dark Radiant. They are simply white. In The Dark Mod the models (and textures) work fine. It's the thing only with new created shaders and only partly (not every new texture I create is white and not the whole model).

For the .dds I use DXT1 compression and for the .tga (normals) I use 24-bit.

3ds Max is my software.

It's not one of the "My object is completely black ingame!"-errors I read on the internet (and encountered myself sometimes before).

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

My little helper.. :D

But diffuse, specular and normal maps are definately working ingame (can't make screenshot)!

Here's a screen out of the editor Dark Radiant whith two different custom models. (one also in model viewer)

post-3542-131647030204_thumb.jpg

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

If you are using ASE, I will take a guess.

Make sure that the material name is not "_white" or "white", rather set it to something which cant conflict with an internal texture name. Doom3 uses the BITMAP path for the texture, however iirc the DR ASE loader uses the material name if it's there, else the BITMAP name.

you need this

qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/<path_to_texture_file>/<texture_file>_ed

in the material file

and the <texture_file>_ed is a jpeg file, a version of the dds file. replace the text between the <> with your text names.

else the model appear white in the editor.

Edited by stumpy

Well, not sure if he's using ed images or not. I think I told him to forget about it, as half the time they just show in editor as 'shader not found'.

And if that's not there it will just use the regular material. ed image isn't required, it's just low res for better editor performance.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Hello there - wow what a great reaction! :o

I didn't use "white" in the texture names for my material.mtr or the .ase files. But good hint, didn't have thought about that yet!

As Baddcog wrote above, I commented all editor images out, since it ended up in "shader not found" for the editor :-/

The strange thign is, that this happens quiet a time for all my new models and my older ones. But the older ones weren't affected before. What I mean is: sincethe white textures approched, they approached on NEARLY all of my models using custom textures, even the ones, who used to work before. .. but still not all..

My guess is that's something wrong in the serious_toni.mtr (my shader file) but I can't figure out what!

It sounds more like the model tbh, upload it somewhere and I'll check it out, pretty sure it's just using the material name.

For example:

*MATERIAL_LIST {
  *MATERIAL_COUNT 1
  *MATERIAL 0 {
     *MATERIAL_NAME "wood" // make sure that's not a shader name
     *MATERIAL_CLASS "Standard"
        *MAP_DIFFUSE {
           *MAP_NAME "Tex.001" // make sure that's not a shader name
           *MAP_CLASS "Bitmap"
           *BITMAP "\\base\textures\smt\tony3" // your material
           }
     }
}

Well, if you are using the basic shader I gave you that's just a standard TDM shader with your textures in place. So that shouldn't be it.

If you had made a typo, then it wouldn't work in game either.

Have you upgraded DR, drivers or anything like that lately?

Which modelling program? (though an .ase should be an ase)

it Serp's example it really doesn't matter if those slots have you material name. The main thing is that would be confusing, but those names really don't matter. The first one 'material name' is just whatever you name it in 3d program. Typically I use wood/ metal or whatever in 3d, then if I have to edit the ase it's easy to know where to put MY wood materials name.

-----------

I'm really leaning towards a DR renderer problem here. If it was the model or material it should be wrong in editor AND game. If it was the model the old ones that worked fine should still work fine while new 'bugged' models wouldn't. It's not in game, only in editor 3d render view and model viewer. Something is wrong there.

List specs, version numbers, any info on graphics/updates, etc...

Again, those fields do matter to DR.

They are used by other engines, which DR caters for. Doom3 only uses the BITMAP string, DR has a few situations in which it will use the incorrect one if both are valid.

But yeah, just upload the model+texture+material somewhere and I'll be able to tell you what's going on, until then it's just needless speculation.

The problem is that the DDS textures have non-power-of-two dimensions, which graphics cards/drivers don't like. Downscaling them to 1024 fixes the problem for me.

Really? No, they all are divisible by 4 because of the DXT1-format from the .dds compressor. And so they are divisible by 2 as well. Or did I understand it wrong?

Here is the link to the model including all necessary files like material and textures:

<<x>>

password is: <<x>>

Hope this helps :)

Edited by SeriousToni

The dimensions need to be within the 'power of two' ( 2n ) set, {1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048,4096}

While DDS can store arb dimension data, it's very slow to work with as it means that you cant use block decoding for large sections of the image. It's also something that is problematic as drivers handle this very differently and hardware/software fixes to deal with it often clash and cause more problems, avoiding them by using PoT is far easier and more efficient. You can still use non-square images, dont worry! i.e 64x1024 is fine. However 192x512 is not.

Looking through your mtr file made me hungry, lol :D

Yeah size is your problem.

mk_k_1f_d.dds is 2564x1664 pixels. Odd size and probably WAY bigger than you need.

1024x512 should be fine for that imo. But when I shrank it to 1024 wide it was 665 high.

I shrank it to 512x256 and I don't think in game you'd notice any difference. Textures take a load of memory to load, If this is a cupboard then total I would use more than 512x512 space. (Divide it up into 256x 256, 64x128... textures.)

But that'll create a draw call for each one, so if you can combine them all into one tex it will be better on resources and in game perforamnce anyway.

Oh holy trickster, guys! This was something I didn't know. As I am new to the whole model thing, there are so many things I have to learn and so many problems I encounter..

I apologize for taking your time on this simple problem!

The thing is, that I took photos and made them to textures by myself, which caused these "unnatural" resolutions. I am now aware of the format restrictions and I understand what "the power of two" means (I did not find a correct translation so I thought the wrong thing).

I hope I don't have to remodel all the objects when I must stretch all my textures now :(

When I am done, I can make an ingame screenshot and post it here, so that you can see what I created with your help.

Apologies and gratitude to all of you, who took part in this discussion! :laugh:

Nah, the one tex is already square so you're just shrinking it evenly to a proper size.

The other one will get squished vertically a little bit, but it's not noticeable.

And the model UV's just account for the corners of the texture, not actually what size it is. So all your uv mapping will stay properly aligned.

You'd only have to adjust the uv's and combine them IF you combine both textures into one. But if you make them quite a bit smaller a few draw calls on one model isn't bad anyway.