The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Siege Shop 1.2.0 by PranQster (2011/09/21)

PranQster

11 members have voted

1. 1. I played version 1.0 of this mission and find this version...

• No better than the original
    • A little better
    • Noticeably better
    • A vast improvement
  2. 2. How enjoyable did you find playing this mission?

• Extremely enjoyable... thought it was a lot of fun
    • Moderately enjoyable
    • It was ok, but not a lot of fun
    • I'd rather be trimming my toenails
  3. 3. Did the atmosphere and story work well?

• Boring atmosphere
    • Boring story
    • Atmosphere was alright
    • Story was alright
    • Good story
    • Good atmosphere

I enjoyed this mission a couple nights ago. I really liked the balloon and the bot, as well as the overall setting. The workshop itself was quite interesting. I couldn't take your poll because it won't let me leave the first question unanswered. As I never played the first version, I have no opinion on that. :)

Thanks, I'm glad to hear it. Yeah I didn't consider that poll as well as I could have.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I look forward to playing this again , I was thoroughly enjoying it until it started freezing up in the hallways . Keeping fingers crossed this time !

I look forward to playing this again , I was thoroughly enjoying it until it started freezing up in the hallways . Keeping fingers crossed this time !

The lower hallway went from about 20fps (and lower) on my machine to about 60fps... and about 35-45fps in the center of the hallway where the drawbridge is (that was the worst spot in the game before).

I hope you enjoy it. The basics are the same but the setting and feel has changed quite a bit.

A super mission. I've finally managed to play it almost to completion. Typical of me I've finished all the objectives bar what presumably should be the most simple one.

I've only found 1200 loot. Is there a large stash somewhere? I've found every key under the sun and seem to have been everywhere so am guessing there's a big hoard I've missed..

A super mission. I've finally managed to play it almost to completion. Typical of me I've finished all the objectives bar what presumably should be the most simple one.

I've only found 1200 loot. Is there a large stash somewhere? I've found every key under the sun and seem to have been everywhere so am guessing there's a big hoard I've missed..

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it.

Did you find any of the following?

• Loot (lots) in the locked desk (near the desk with the captain's log book on it) in the office
  • Stash of loot hidden up high... need to climb for it... hinted to in a readable in a footlocker
  • wine bottle by the bathtub
  • wine bottles inside desk in the bedroom
  • Samurai swords in office on the wall
  • wolf's eyes, above the trophies in the archer's lounge

That's the hidden stuff which comes to mind right now.

Congrats on the release Pranqster! I'm on holiday the week after Halloween so I'm going to wait until then before I play any Halloween contest entrys. The clocks go back aswell so it will be dark and perfect for turning the lights out and playing tdm missions in the candle light. Creating the right environment to play TDM really enhances the atmosphere. Your screenies look V creepy.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Zip files should work (the package loader recognizes both types) but you can rename the file with a pk4 extension.

I tried the .zip file and it doesn't show in mission list. :/

I tried to rename the file in siegeshop.pk4, but it remains always .zip. One thing like this: siegeshop.pk4.zip.

Maybe because i have windows 7?:unsure:

You need to set your folder options to show common file types.

I think, however, that you might get past this issue by:

1) Delete the PK4 and Siege Shop folders from the FMS folder in TDM and the Doom 3 base install folder

2) Uninstall any current mission

3) Delete any name left in the "current fm" config file

4) Copy the SiegeShop.zip file into your darkmod/fms folder

5) Start TDM and check new missions

If the mission still doesn't show, close TDM then re-open and see if it shows in the listing.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I wonder where the .zip came from because the file I host is a .pk4. Is the in-game downloader bringing down a .zip? Or did you download it a while ago and only go to install it recently? I think there was a .zip linked on accident a few weeks ago, but that was all fixed.

It might also help to use a program like peazip. You culd open it with peazip and re-save it with pk4 extension and avoid windows preserving the .zip extension. But first I'd change Windows file and folder options to stop hiding file extensions.

Edited by PranQster

Thank you PranQster , a very enjoyable mission. :rolleyes:

Ok, I'm missing something. I've only found one key...

that opens the locked desk

... and I can't seem to get any further. I've rechecked all the bodies for keys and haven't found any. I'm not able to get into the siege shop area or the door on the left on the bottom floor as you get off the elevator.

Is this a bug or did I miss something completely obvious?

Thanks,

Richard

... and I can't seem to get any further. I've rechecked all the bodies for keys and haven't found any. I'm not able to get into the siege shop area or the door on the left on the bottom floor as you get off the elevator.

Is this a bug or did I miss something completely obvious?

Thanks,

Richard

Hint:

Check

around the bed in the Captain's bedroom.

Extra secret hint:

Check

at the headboard of that bed. Two pegs there hold a red key.

That should get you on your way :)

... or the door on the left on the bottom floor as you get off the elevator.

Wait a minute. Door by the bottom of the elevator? That doesn't exist anymore.. at least not next to the elevator. How long ago did you download this? It sounds like you got version 1.0.

Did your player start in a sewer or in a cave in the mountains?

It can be played either way, but version 1.2 is a vast improvement over 1.0. Better lighting, better sound, better visuals (except for 2 moons in the sky... oops), and a changed story... also much improved FPS throughout the map.

Edited by PranQster

Wait a minute. Door by the bottom of the elevator? That doesn't exist anymore.. at least not next to the elevator. How long ago did you download this? It sounds like you got version 1.0.

Did your player start in a sewer or in a cave in the mountains?

It can be played either way, but version 1.2 is a vast improvement over 1.0. Better lighting, better sound, better visuals, and a changed story... also much improved FPS throughout the map.

I suggest first: install a different mission in TDM, then delete 'siegeshop' from the /darkmod/fms directory as well as from the /doom3/ directory, and then let TDM re-download siegeshop, or get it from the first post of this thread.

:)

Yeah, that nail on the back of the bed in version 1.0 was not easy to spot... even after I made it poke through the headboard a little. When my map was in beta, that nail did not poke through at all and nobody ever looked behind the headboard. I have always been in the habit of checking weird places like that for loot and switches, etc. so I thought everyone else would look there too.

In version 1.2, I put the two small wooden dowels poking slightly through in place of that nail and it became much easier to spot for anyone who examines the bed.