The Dark Mod Forums

Where Do You Nicknames/aliases Come From?

Fingernail

Well, years ago....when I was around 18 or 19 and in the emotionally turbulent stage, I used to be known as Lost Horizon. I was a pretty sad, angry, angsty guy. The world was holding me down. :lol: Somewhere in my 21st year my whole perspective became clear on how I was the one creating that view to justify my own laziness and weaknesses. Essentially, I too responsibility for my own shit. So, I then became New Horizon. Ooooh, like a butterfly. ;)

Macsen was the spanish born Magnus Maximus, who served with Theodosius in the British wars and rose to high military command in the Island; in 383AD he invaded Gaul to oust Gratian the emperor of Rome. He himself was put to death by Theodosius in 388 at Aquilea.

The dream of Macsen is part of the Mabinogion, an ancient collection of Welsh myths.

Also, my cat is called Macsen. :ph34r:

Kristus was the nickname for that guy in israel that got crusified for being called king of the jews and stuff. I used to go by Ebola. for about 6 years or something. But after I released a 4 year long project I had had enough of that name and decided to change. For a while people had no idea who the hell I was and so on and so on. :P

Anyway, the reason I choose Kristus is to hopefully piss someone off and my real name is Kristian which is spellt "Christian" in other countries which means .. well christian. as in christianity if anyone still hadn't figured it out. :P So therefor I mock my own name and anyone who takes offence for using the name of "Christ" as my own. (people in real life actually call the "The Christ" aswell so it was partially therefor I choose it aswell.)

Phew, lots of talking. err typing.

On top of that I had a team that went under the name Unholy soft. :P

*walks away humming, Am I evil? yes I am.*

Edited by Kristus

haha as you might guess I'm absolutely not creative regarding names....

so I was sitting there about 2 years ago at the registration page of a german thief forum....sitting for minutes and I had no idea how to call me. two simple thoughts led to my nick - this is a thief forum - so call yourself "thief" - what attribute would fit to thief and myself? a thief is dressed black - I'm often dressed black and I hear black metal B)

I thought about changing my nick long ago, but I didn't want to register again etc, that's why I stick to this boring, nonsense name :D

I used to call myself Springheel Jack in the days of BBS's. That was the original name given to Jack the Ripper by the British Press before he wrote his first letter and named himself. Eventually I shortened it to just Springheel.

Interestingly (for those in the know), Springheel Jack is also a mythological creature that walks around in a hat and trenchcoat, with fiery eyes, who can leap over walls and do jedi mind tricks. Sound familiar?

Interestingly (for those in the know), Springheel Jack is also a mythological creature that walks around in a hat and trenchcoat, with fiery eyes, who can leap over walls and do jedi mind tricks. Sound familiar?

I was reading about Springheel Jack today. "His face was hideous and his eyes were like balls of fire. His hands had great claws and he vomited blue and white flames."

The name fits you perfectly Springheel. :lol:

Well, I was trying to think of something poetic, yet dark, to register with here. I wanted it to be along the lines of the shadows involved with Thief. "Darkness Falls" came to mind. I liked it; so I picked it. Kind've dark and mysterious to me.

Ahemm, I liked it up until I was in the video store a couple weeks ago and saw a movie with this as its title!!!!! Arrrrgh! Something about some evil toothfairy or something. It came out a couple years ago I think. I was crushed. I didn't know about the movie when I made my name; now I wish I had never gone to that video store :ph34r:

Hmm.. where could this have come from???

Nah, similar to BT. I jumped into the forums around when DromEd was to be released, and had no nick. Assuming that it would just be a matter of "grab the editor and disappear" I had no idea this awful choice of a name would be around for years. <_< Since then, I've had a few ideas for good ones, but how does one change? Bah.

Ishtvan is the phonetic spelling of the Hungarian name Istvan, which is equivalent to the English name "Steven." (I believe Russian has a very similar name, but I'm not sure)

From these two facts, one might infer that I am named Steven and am Hungarian. One would be wrong on both counts.

I got the name from that of a minor character in a novel written by Steven (Istvan?) Brust, who is a favorite author of mine. He "imported" a lot of Hungarian names into his universe, and sometimes changed the spelling to the English phonetic spelling. I highly recommend those books and take almost every opportunity to pimp them. :)

LOL. I guess I'm not so original either :P . I got my nick from a game - The Elder Scrolls Adventures "Redguard" - damn good game. There was a DarkElf Assassin there and his name was cool, hence why my name is Dram. Bloody hell, I already said this somewhere else in the forum (search if you need to :P ).

--Dram