The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Samhain Night (v.3.3 update) by PranQster (2020/03/01)

PranQster

BTW.

I had a small play-through last night. What I've seen shows an excellent use of tension and foreshadow. Visuals are very good but there are areas where some grime might help darken the corners here and there when relying solely on ambient light (eg. a little faked AO as has been brought-up ad-nauseum elsewhere... ).

I fully expect more clever stuff to happen as I progress. :)

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

BTW.

I had a small play-through last night. What I've seen shows an excellent use of tension and foreshadow. Visuals are very good but there are areas where some grime might help darken the corners here and there when relying solely on ambient light (eg. a little faked AO as has been brought-up ad-nauseum elsewhere... ).

I fully expect more clever stuff to happen as I progress. :)

Sounds good. I'll take the grime under advisement. I didn't use it much, except at the very beginning of the map on the tomb doors... mostly due to the fact that much of my textures were dirt or stone. I wanted to keep the marble looking clean in places which were either regularly maintained (except cobwebs), or had been sealed from the elements for a long time.

There are a few moments of cleverness, or so I hope. ;)

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Off-topic grime stuff...

If you are clever, you need not think of grime as "dirty" in all cases. It can just be a way to darken. I am pretty sure Fidcal showed off some "clean looking" grime work for his staircase in Manor Royale. Of course, that was EXTREME griming. You could get away with a little shadow here or there...no big deal. Alternately you could use very faint Ambient light to brighten surfaces closer to the viewer (etc).

Sotha's missions were virtually without any faked lighting effects and benefited immensely from the new Ambient and Interaction shaders... so there is an argument for staying "clean" and letting the renderer improvements add the "reality" to the look of the mission but you still need to be clever about light placement to achieve something like the look of Knighton Manor.

Basically, be careful about large swaths of Ambient lit areas where the same texture is used for large amounts of architecture ( Eg. marble columns and marble walls and marble floor.) or it becomes hard to visually distinguish geometry boundaries and and looks flat.

Edited by nbohr1more

Off-topic grime stuff...

If you are clever, you need not think of grime as "dirty" in all cases. It can just be a way to darken. I am pretty sure Fidcal showed off some "clean looking" grime work for his staircase in Manor Royale. Of course, that was EXTREME griming. You could get away with a little shadow here or there...no big deal. Alternately you could use very faint Ambient light to brighten surfaces closer to the viewer (etc).

Sotha's missions were virtually without any faked lighting effects and benefited immensely from the new Ambient and Interaction shaders... so there is an argument for staying "clean" and letting the renderer improvements add the "reality" to the look of the mission but you still need to be clever about light placement to achieve something like the look of Knighton Manor.

Basically, be careful about large swaths of Ambient lit areas where the same texture is used for large amounts of architecture ( Eg. marble columns and marble walls and marble floor.) or it becomes hard to visually distinguish geometry boundaries and and looks flat.

Ahhh... I see. I still have so much to learn. Looking forward to it.

Pretty steep difficulty curve has been hit...

Holy hell. I knew I sucked but never so much as when I am confronted with that many skeletons! I guess I need to replay on easy. Is there a good strategy to the "King's Tomb" area?

Thanks.

there a very easy way in the kings tomb :-)

because im still 2 stupid 2 use spoilers ill try to write it in white ;-)

u need 2 of ur 3 water arrow to extinguish the torches and the enter the room crouching through the middle. perhaps 1-2 spiders will follow u but they never really seen u and should not get u.

u can open the grave and grab the crown while the ghost is really close to u ;-)

have fun with my way ^^

greetz Mc

Pretty steep difficulty curve has been hit...

Holy hell. I knew I sucked but never so much as when I am confronted with that many skeletons! I guess I need to replay on easy. Is there a good strategy to the "King's Tomb" area?

Thanks.

Woohoo! that's the kind of feedback I was hoping to hear :)

The king's tomb. A few ways to do it.

• like Mc said.. douse the torches and be sneaksie
  • or, don't douse the torches and be more sneaksie... very slow creep down the middle
  • make a little noise to get the spiders slightly alerted and hunting... then back up the stairs and shoot broadheads at spiders, then melee the king ghost

Also keep in mind:

when the king warps in there is a light flash and thunderclap. The king ghost sometimes will see the player when that light flashes and will attack immediately. There is no way to avoid that, it's just the luck of the draw.

Also... extra spoiler... try not to read it:

If trying to ghost the mission or playing on expert, there is a small piece of loot which is very hard to get from the king's tomb... you may need to lure the ghost away to be able to reach it

Edited by PranQster

Thanks Mc & PranQster.

Thanks. It just seems that as soon as I climb that web-vine and open the grate that there's a circle of skeletons waiting for me. Maybe they're not as alert as I think they are but it sure looks like an instant ambush when you look around. unsure.gif I'll have to try my luck, I guess. happy.gif

I've played for a wile, but I haven't finished it yet.

I got myself stuck in the tombs by the zombies. I went in the king's chamber and closed the door behind me... then I couldn't get out. Also, that side of the door is not textured.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Thanks Mc & PranQster.

Thanks. It just seems that as soon as I climb that web-vine and open the grate that there's a circle of skeletons waiting for me. Maybe they're not as alert as I think they are but it sure looks like an instant ambush when you look around. unsure.gif I'll have to try my luck, I guess. happy.gif

hehehe :)

those guys are on animal_patrol, so their behavior is unpredictable. Sometimes you'll enter that room and they will all be in the far sides of the room and other times they will be swarming near the grate. :)

I've played for a wile, but I haven't finished it yet.

I got myself stuck in the tombs by the zombies. I went in the king's chamber and closed the door behind me... then I couldn't get out. Also, that side of the door is not textured.

oops...

I wasn't expecting anyone to be shutting that door behind them. You must have used the torch again and stepped inside the door as it was rising... to keep the skeletons away perhaps? I never concerned myself with the inner texture since I didn't expect anyone to see it. I should texture that door then and provide an exit lever on the inside somewhere.

thanks for pointing that out.

hehehe :)

those guys are on animal_patrol, so their behavior is unpredictable. Sometimes you'll enter that room and they will all be in the far sides of the room and other times they will be swarming near the grate. :)

Man, you're probably gonna hate me by the time you finish this mission ;)

Just finished with the latest update.

I thought that it was put together and laid out very well.

Its amazing what someone can produce in just 3 weeks.

But, I still hate undead. I am so bad at battling with them.

Nice job, and thanks for the great little mission!

Just finished with the latest update.

I thought that it was put together and laid out very well.

Its amazing what someone can produce in just 3 weeks.

But, I still hate undead. I am so bad at battling with them.

Nice job, and thanks for the great little mission!

Awesome! Thanks for your comment :)

Need help

I'm in the tomb with the spiders and I see a crown and a ring but cannot get them to highlight at all. Are they a decoration or should I be able to pick them up? Even on noclip I could not get them to highlight.

That's strange.

They should both highlight just fine, though the ring is more difficult. Make sure you are not standing on top of the candles, that might make you too high up. Get up to the side of the sarcophagus and lean forward and they will highlight.

Also, the crown becomes an objective when the ghost and spiders warp into the tomb, so yes, you do need it.

Edited by PranQster

That's strange.

They should both highlight just fine, though the ring is more difficult. Make sure you are not standing on top of the candles, that might make you too high up. Get up to the side of the sarcophagus and lean forward and they will highlight.

Also, the crown becomes an objective when the ghost and spiders warp into the tomb, so yes, you do need it.

I've got it now

Was it tied to the book? I missed the book so reloaded and went back, found it and once back in the tomb they both easily highlighted.

Edit - Also played on med. and my loot objective checked off about 200 shy of what it should have.

Have finished now but missed alot so will go back in and comment later.

Edited by Thiefette

I've got it now

Was it tied to the book? I missed the book so reloaded and went back, found it and once back in the tomb they both easily highlighted.

Have finished now but missed alot so will go back in and comment later.

No,

The book's not tied into anything and the mission can be done without it. It's only purpose is to give some sort of explanation to the map I made.

You must have just had bad luck getting positioned properly the first time.

Also:

You may want to double-check around the sarcophagi.

Edited by PranQster

A bit of explanation as to why I gave it poor "Gameplay" marks in particular:

Too many "gotcha" type moments the first time I played through the mission. I was expecting the water ride when I grabbed the jewel, but I wasn't expecting the monsters to teleport in when I entered the king's tomb or when I reached the middle of the maze. I had to "notarget" and "noclip" to figure out the mission the first time.

The second time, I played on "easy" rather than "medium" difficulty, and was able to sneak past both rooms of early spiders, and the skeletons in the main "tomb" room. I managed to defeat the enemies in the King's tomb (just barely), and grabbed the scepter and ran away from the center of the maze and over the cliff to the end area. I was also able to sneak past the lizards. (A lot of times I would set up a mine but it wouldn't go off even though the monster passed near by. I only successfully used a mine on a lizard once.) So, the second time, I was able to complete the mission without cheats, but I didn't love it. Also, I had game crashes several times during the second playthrough, especially by the lizards near the end.