The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Samhain Night (v.3.3 update) by PranQster (2020/03/01)

PranQster

Just finished playing this, very nice Pranqster, that graveyard was very atmospheric. But the triggered traps, that both made me jump and laugh at the same time.

Found a few visual bugs and the mission didnt complete when

I got to the top of the well

, but I scored it 4, 4, 3.

Cool :) But I wonder why

the mission didn't complete at the top of the well. I put quite a thick brush there and tried it out several times with no problems. I guess on occasion it takes extra time crossing through the clip brush to trigger the mission end.

A bit of explanation as to why I gave it poor "Gameplay" marks in particular:

Too many "gotcha" type moments the first time I played through the mission. I was expecting the water ride when I grabbed the jewel, but I wasn't expecting the monsters to teleport in when I entered the king's tomb or when I reached the middle of the maze. I had to "notarget" and "noclip" to figure out the mission the first time.

The second time, I played on "easy" rather than "medium" difficulty, and was able to sneak past both rooms of early spiders, and the skeletons in the main "tomb" room. I managed to defeat the enemies in the King's tomb (just barely), and grabbed the scepter and ran away from the center of the maze and over the cliff to the end area. I was also able to sneak past the lizards. (A lot of times I would set up a mine but it wouldn't go off even though the monster passed near by. I only successfully used a mine on a lizard once.) So, the second time, I was able to complete the mission without cheats, but I didn't love it. Also, I had game crashes several times during the second playthrough, especially by the lizards near the end.

Sorry to hear that. Also,

those 'lizards' are werebeasts (werewolves).

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

prjames' post showed me something interesting which I should mention to all, concerning spoilers...

If you make your spoiler tags with capital letters, the spoiler tags work in the original post, but not in a quoted reply... all of the spoiler text shows up in the quoted reply. So, spoiler tags should be all lower case. Then they work both in the regular post and in the quoted reply.

Finished up again and found all but 125 loot and I bet I know where it is but can't get back there so will wind this up.

I liked this mission even though I hate spiders (hate them so much had to get my son to do some) so the creepyness was there. I'm sorry I didn't get a feel that it was halloween even though there was just about every creepy creature that I've ever seen in any mission so that counts for something towards the theme I'd say. At the beginning in the cemetary I found it hard to get out of the light because I was walking on the tops of the flowers until I got off to the side. I had some difficulty spotting things ie: the book, pathways in both the tunnels and maze.

I liked the random path of the skeletons - added a little extra challange to things. Now you did get me with the "gotcha" moments, the flash of lights etc. but could of done without the spiders. Just sayin :laugh:. I really liked how this mission seemed to keep going everytime you completed one objective a new room would open up.

I had a few crashes also. One was when I came back from the kings tomb and the other two were in the maze and tunnel. The last two I've had on other games so don't thing they're related to yours.

Thanks for all your hard work PranQster. Will probably play again to get my missing loot but I think I'll pick easy next time :) . Whew!!

Finished up again and found all but 125 loot and I bet I know where it is but can't get back there so will wind this up.

I liked this mission even though I hate spiders (hate them so much had to get my son to do some) so the creepyness was there. I'm sorry I didn't get a feel that it was halloween even though there was just about every creepy creature that I've ever seen in any mission so that counts for something towards the theme I'd say. At the beginning in the cemetary I found it hard to get out of the light because I was walking on the tops of the flowers until I got off to the side. I had some difficulty spotting things ie: the book, pathways in both the tunnels and maze.

I liked the random path of the skeletons - added a little extra challange to things. Now you did get me with the "gotcha" moments, the flash of lights etc. but could of done without the spiders. Just sayin :laugh:. I really liked how this mission seemed to keep going everytime you completed one objective a new room would open up.

I had a few crashes also. One was when I came back from the kings tomb and the other two were in the maze and tunnel. The last two I've had on other games so don't thing they're related to yours.

Thanks for all your hard work PranQster. Will probably play again to get my missing loot but I think I'll pick easy next time :) . Whew!!

Good to hear that you finished it. Sorry for

creeping you out with the spiders so much. I must admit that when test-playing they made me jump a couple of times, even though I'm the one who put them there and set up the traps. And I'm a person who actually likes spiders... real ones though... not huge Mirkwood-style monster-spiders or the likes of Shelob and Ungoliant.

Originally, the spider king was going to be the rat king. I wanted to swarm the player with 6-10 or so rats, but I couldn't get the little buggers to attack so I had to swap them out for spiders.

As far as walking on the tops of the flowers goes... That seems to be a side affect of using the new-ish 'SEED' system used to generate those flowers. I had to make a delayed player drop-in start to keep the player above the flowers at game start. Else the player would often start out stuck in place. Now the down side is that the player walks on top of the dandelions until they get to the next section of SEED, where they drop back to ground level.

And getting out of the light in the cemetery is not important. Those pagans are not hostile to the player (even though you are there to steal from their dead relatives), and they generally will have left the cemetery before the player enters the tomb. They are mostly there to show off Nosslak's new plague mask, though they are part of the story in the fact that they are there to honor their dead.

Yes, easy is a nice way to play :)

Expert mode with the no-kill difficulty can be a downright pain, especially if you are to get every piece of loot. One must be very sneaksie and quicksie-like to get through and still you will...

be seen by the revenant while making your exit after grabbing the scepter. If someone can truly ghost this mission I will be very, very surprised.

Edited by PranQster

Good to hear that you finished it. Sorry for

creeping you out with the spiders so much. I must admit that when test-playing they made me jump a couple of times, even though I'm the one who put them there and set up the traps. And I'm a person who actually likes spiders... real ones though... not huge Mirkwood-style monster-spiders or the likes of Shelob and Ungoliant.

Originally, the spider king was going to be the rat king. I wanted to swarm the player with 6-10 or so rats, but I couldn't get the little buggers to attack so I had to swap them out for spiders.

Yes, easy is a nice way to play :)

Expert mode with the no-kill difficulty can be a downright pain, especially if you are to get every piece of loot. One must be very sneaksie and quicksie-like to get through and still you will...

be seen by the revenant while making your exit after grabbing the scepter. If someone can truly ghost this mission I will be very, very surprised.

I know they have thier place in the world (outside in the garden killing mosquitoes) and as long as they stay there and stay very small I can deal with them. Maybe. :laugh: I can't imagine ghosting this. I only did medium and I might as well of been carrying sparklers and blowing a whistle as far as my stealth score goes. :rolleyes:

Again top marks for spookyness factor. Look forward to more from you.

Yes, nice mission. I liked the masks of the people. And of course the surprise entrance! Then, just repeating myself, I don't like zombies, especially not in masses. They are annoying (IMHO, of course).

But, after playing the mission, the only thing to complain for me is: Why are spiders and zombies persons (I'm referring to the "kill no one" objective)? Dammit, zombies are already dead! So technically you can't kill them...

*grumble*

Yes, nice mission. I liked the masks of the people. And of course the surprise entrance! Then, just repeating myself, I don't like zombies, especially not in masses. They are annoying (IMHO, of course).

But, after playing the mission, the only thing to complain for me is: Why are spiders and zombies persons (I'm referring to the "kill no one" objective)? Dammit, zombies are already dead! So technically you can't kill them...

*grumble*

Ok, the objective for the expert mode needs to be re-named. I used a pre-made template which included that objective. I should have edited it to say "Kill nothing". And yes, that difficulty level is supposed to be that way. Otherwise, play it on medium and kill what you want. The total loot available is the same for all three levels, just a difference in how much must be found. The monsters are all the same for each level too.

• Like 1

Very nice, smooth flowing mission. thanx.gif

Also. Thanks :)

I look forward to making more missions. I'm already a few days into a new one... I'm thinking city>forest>pagans... a little adventure.

Edited by PranQster

I gave you 4/3/4

I did not like the way to play (I prefer having more defeat able guards ;) ) - it was also quite challenging, sometimes a bit unfair.

But: Visuals are very good for your second mission. Also the updating mission goals. I like that, I also like good skript events. I'd like to see a city or mansion map of your style (with scripts, changing goals and secrets ;) )

EDIT:

I'm thinking city>forest>pagans... a little adventure.

Sounds good - looking forward to it

Edited by Berny

I gave you 4/3/4

I did not like the way to play (I prefer having more defeat able guards ;) ) - it was also quite challenging, sometimes a bit unfair.

But: Visuals are very good for your second mission. Also the updating mission goals. I like that, I also like good skript events. I'd like to see a city or mansion map of your style (with scripts, changing goals and secrets ;) )

EDIT:

Sounds good - looking forward to it

Yeah, not everyone likes playing against spiders and undead (blackjacking guards is my favorite, personally). But that's why I did it that way, to provide a challenge not everyone is comfortable with.

My next one likely will include a scenario I've been experimenting with recently. I've only done a small amount of forest so far, but plan to expand that out into a city (where the player starts). A series of events will unfold to take you from the city out into the forest.

Yeah, not everyone likes playing against spiders and undead (blackjacking guards is my favorite, personally). But that's why I did it that way, to provide a challenge not everyone is comfortable with.

My next one likely will include a scenario I've been experimenting with recently. I've only done a small amount of forest so far, but plan to expand that out into a city (where the player starts). A series of events will unfold to take you from the city out into the forest.

Looking forward to it!

When the quality stays it will be a very good (traditional) mission!!

Edited by Berny

Could I please get a hint on how to find that

hidden fourth entrance in the crypt? The hint given in an earlier post was "check around the sarcophagi"

but I can't seem to find anything...

In the room with many sarcophagi try looking behind one.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Thiefette

Super extra double-secret extreme spoilage extravaganza!

Thanks, in the meantime I already found it and finished the mission! Actually I had been looking

behind the sarcophagi, it's just that the switch was exactly behind

the one that the guard of the scepter was standing in front of (I had lured it out into the central area beforehand).

Very nice mission! I enjoyed it so much that I didn't even mind all the arachnid wildlife and the undead hordes too much, even though normally those things tend to annoy the hell out of me.

Edited by poronty

Thanks, in the meantime I already found it and finished the mission! Actually I had been looking

behind the sarcophagi, it's just that the switch was exactly behind

the one that the guard of the scepter was standing in front of (I had lured it out into the central area beforehand).

Very nice mission! I enjoyed it so much that I didn't even mind all the arachnid wildlife and the undead hordes too much, even though normally those things tend to annoy the hell out of me.

Right on! Good to hear :)

I could finally find the time to play this mission, so here are my impressions:

The visuals are nice, although, even if not completely realistic, some more light could have helped bring out the details (the lantern was a no-no since there were two many AI to bust you). For some reason, a lot of FM creators in both TDM and Thief tend to use high gamma and few lights, which makes it easy to see, but washes out contrasts. I prefer the opposite approach: dark environments, brighter lights to illuminate larger areas. That said, the architecture here was nice and varied, about what a mission needs.

Progressing through the areas was nice, since parts of the level had different themes and challenges, some pretty nasty. That said, the linearity made the loot goal problematic - too easy to miss something important and not have enough in the end. You can also get stuck if you waste your rope arrows, in a pretty nasty way.

The Halloween element/mood is where I gave a mission four stars: creepy but not horrific, which is just fine for this occasion. Something I was surprised by was that, starting at the beginning,

I expected a cultist mission, and kept believing I would find a ritual area sooner or later. Surprisingly, it became a pure tomb looting expedition! :D

All in all, I enjoyed it and am looking forward to your next one. :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved