The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Samhain Night (v.3.3 update) by PranQster (2020/03/01)

PranQster

Thanks! I must have been crouching and not known it. It was very easy to mount while standing.

Great mission. The tombs looked really nice and were never repetative which is something I find hard to do when making tombs. Some very nice choices on ambiet sounds too. I'm very arachnaphobic so I found a tomb woith lots of spiders very creepy.

Only negative point is that I found the ambinet world light too bright. I think if it was darker with more torches it would have added to the atmos. If it got too dark the lantern found at the start could have been used. I never had to use it once.

Did I miss something but I have no idea why the people in the graveyard were wearing plague masks?

I played this on the medium setting. I'll replay this on the hardest setting. I think I can get all the loot and complete it without having to kill anyone. Will be more of a challenge though.

I had lots of fun playing this. Thanks for making this and well done on a fine FM!

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

The plague masks ended up in the game because I was building the map when Nosslak released the mask and requested that somebody put it in a map and take a screenshot. I had put it on one wench and then decided to put it on the rest of the pagans, just to make a screenshot or two. I decided to keep the masks on the pagans in the spirit of the holiday to make it seem they were using it for ceremonial purposes... or to hide identities.

Good luck with all loot on the hard setting :) It can be done, but it's very tricky, especially

getting the ring from the king's skeletal finger without having the ghost attack you. A distraction comes in handy there, but you may need to plan that move carefully.

Also, in the room with descending spiders... better be quick :)

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I didn't want to wade through the previous comments on this thread and spoil my enjoyment of what looks to be a terrific mission but......

I climbed the thread to the grating from the spider area , got past the skeletons and opened the secret door. Going down the steps , I seem to get hit immediately past the doorway by the phantom in the stone tomb plus a load of spiders which appear with a flash. Each time I've tried he's got me fast.Is there an easy way through. I've also closed the secret door to stop the skeletons getting in. Is there another way out?

I didn't want to wade through the previous comments on this thread and spoil my enjoyment of what looks to be a terrific mission but......

I climbed the thread to the grating from the spider area , got past the skeletons and opened the secret door. Going down the steps , I seem to get hit immediately past the doorway by the phantom in the stone tomb plus a load of spiders which appear with a flash. Each time I've tried he's got me fast.Is there an easy way through. I've also closed the secret door to stop the skeletons getting in. Is there another way out?

That room can be rather tough, it depends a lot on luck.

When those creatures warp in, there is a flash of light and thunder. If you are crouched and enter the room slowly and stay in the very center, you may be lucky and the ghost won't see you and you can continue sneaking. You may get unlucky and he notices you when he warps in. You might have to back out of the room and try to lure the spiders out to kill them (unless on expert), or at least back out to the stairs to fight the ghost without the spiders seeing you.

I know that room can be entered without the ghost seeing you because I did it many times when testing. But I did try to make it difficult to sneak, preferring to deliver tricks instead of treats.

I made a mistake with the torch lever and didn't think players would use it to shut the door behind them. So, unfortunately, I didn't make a lever inside the room to exit. My mistake. I'm sorry about that.

Keep at it because it will work sooner or later.

• That room can be rather tough, it depends a lot on luck.

When those creatures warp in, there is a flash of light and thunder. If you are crouched and enter the room slowly and stay in the very center, you may be lucky and the ghost won't see you and you can continue sneaking. You may get unlucky and he notices you when he warps in. You might have to back out of the room and try to lure the spiders out to kill them (unless on expert), or at least back out to the stairs to fight the ghost without the spiders seeing you.
    I know that room can be entered without the ghost seeing you because I did it many times when testing. But I did try to make it difficult to sneak, preferring to deliver tricks instead of treats.
    I made a mistake with the torch lever and didn't think players would use it to shut the door behind them. So, unfortunately, I didn't make a lever inside the room to exit. My mistake. I'm sorry about that.

Keep at it because it will work sooner or later.
    Thanks , will give it another go along those lines.

Finished! Looks like this mission reflects the speed mapping theme most. Because of the short time period, you had to sacrifice some parts such as world detail, but it's okay. Although there were some rough enviromental details, they didn't spoil my fun. However, I think you could have polished it, because there was still time. On the contrary, I should say there were some nice details too.

Such as a loot on walking zombie body. Oh, and the maze was gloomy ! I remember that I kept going on the left, and found the exit without any trouble at all :D. Is this just my luck or intented in this way?

Rating:

Halloween -> 4 : Zombies, pagans, traps were cool.

Gameplay -> 3 : There could be more interaction for the player with objects. There wasn't serious bug except unable to open the stone passage from inside. I simply noclipped for that. No trouble at all.

Aesthetics -> 2 : I know some parts were lookin good such as spider cave but in general there were some very rough geometry such as maze. Well, it was on the limit for me to consider as playable. :P

Thanks for the big effort :)

Finished! Looks like this mission reflects the speed mapping theme most. Because of the short time period, you had to sacrifice some parts such as world detail, but it's okay. Although there were some rough enviromental details, they didn't spoil my fun. However, I think you could have polished it, because there was still time. On the contrary, I should say there were some nice details too.

Such as a loot on walking zombie body. Oh, and the maze was gloomy ! I remember that I kept going on the left, and found the exit without any trouble at all :D. Is this just my luck or intented in this way?

Rating:

Halloween -> 4 : Zombies, pagans, traps were cool.

Gameplay -> 3 : There could be more interaction for the player with objects. There wasn't serious bug except unable to open the stone passage from inside. I simply noclipped for that. No trouble at all.

Aesthetics -> 2 : I know some parts were lookin good such as spider cave but in general there were some very rough geometry such as maze. Well, it was on the limit for me to consider as playable. :P

Thanks for the big effort :)

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it, for the most part. Yes, I could have taken 3 more weeks to do a lot more with it. Instead I opted to make it simple and playable, without too much concern for the details, and get it out so I could focus on something bigger and better. I kept the geometry super-simple and focused instead on making the traps, learning as I went.

Yes, the maze was designed to be solved by walking to the left. That way I could maximize the floor space in the pentagonal room so the scepter room would be in the center. My first idea for that room was not a maze, but rather a single empty room with the scepter at the center. Of course the player would be expecting a trap.

I was going to have 5 wraiths enter the room at the corners, and converge on the player. Obviously no player can fight 5 enemies at once in melee combat, so I was considering having them change teams just as the player was pooping their pants. But I couldn't figure out how to make that make any sense... should the player being in possession of the scepter take the aggression away from the wraiths?? So I decided to make the maze instead and put loot and/or player tools at each of the 5 corners.

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it, for the most part. Yes, I could have taken 3 more weeks to do a lot more with it. Instead I opted to make it simple and playable, without too much concern for the details, and get it out so I could focus on something bigger and better. I kept the geometry super-simple and focused instead on making the traps, learning as I went.

Yes, the maze was designed to be solved by walking to the left. That way I could maximize the floor space in the pentagonal room so the scepter room would be in the center. My first idea for that room was not a maze, but rather a single empty room with the scepter at the center. Of course the player would be expecting a trap.

I was going to have 5 wraiths enter the room at the corners, and converge on the player. Obviously no player can fight 5 enemies at once in melee combat, so I was considering having them change teams just as the player was pooping their pants. But I couldn't figure out how to make that make any sense... should the player being in possession of the scepter take the aggression away from the wraiths?? So I decided to make the maze instead and put loot and/or player tools at each of the 5 corners.

haha, you succeeded then. I didn't expect for a trap at the end which was more scary for me. :)

5 enemies?? It would be overkill seriously.

Man, sometimes I think this halloween contest shows sadistic side of mappers. lulz

Edited by SiyahParsomen
  • Like 1

I enjoyed this a lot. Thank you PranQster. The only problem I had was

getting the crown to highlight. I see Thiefette had the same problem. I managed it after quite a few attempts , Not easy with a haunt hovering over you !!

Glad you enjoyed it :)

Yeah, that can be tough. Even harder is

to get the ring on the king's hand to highlight, especially if you are sneaking and have the ghost right there. I found a noisemaker shot back to the stairs works well. But then the candles there need to be doused too or else you will be seen when you stand and lean in to get the ring.

I really enjoyed this mission but I seem to have found a slight glitch.

In the chamber where there are two spiders which is found by pressing the hidden lever in the sarcophagus chamber there is what appeared to be a spider thread above both spiders.

I would have attached a picture but I can't find the "add to post link" to hide it

Edited by Oldjim

Ahh... that was on purpose (I hope) :)

I had tried to make the spiders descend from the ceiling "head-first" (cephalothorax pointing down). I could not force them into that position no matter how hard I tried. They always appeared legs-down, right-side-up. The thread lowers with them to give the appearance that it is extending from the back of their abdomens. I was hoping to make the threads thinner, but they rendered invisible if those cylinders were made with any smaller diameter.

In all my testing, the thread stayed in place and the spiders could move about freely after descending.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

This was like a small version of the bonehoard. Even the tomb entrance looked simular. This is meant as a compliment. It would be great if someone did a huge network of tombs like the bonehard for an FM. But with less spiders. I hate spiders.

• Like 1

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

This was like a small version of the bonehoard. Even the tomb entrance looked simular. This is meant as a compliment. It would be great if someone did a huge network of tombs like the bonehard for an FM. But with less spiders. I hate spiders.

Thank you. I take that as a compliment since that was my intention.

Before the contest was announced, I had outlined ideas in my notes program for a Bonehorde style mission. That idea was fresh in my head when the contest started so, yes, I did actually make the entrance/graveyard with Bonehorde directly in mind. I almost made it with a hole from the upper tomb to be climbed down into with a rope directly to the tombs below. The underground water area was originally going to be a huge area just like in bonehorde, but I decided not to for the speed-build aspect of the contest.

Edited by PranQster

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll try to be back building missions soon. I really hope. I want to work more on my work in progress, but my (too) current linux system does not like building or running darkradiant. Going to experiment on a solution (manually install a build for a different linux distro) soon, maybe tonight.

• 3 months later...

Yes I enjoyed it although did have some minor problem of getting the aforementioned loot to highlight after giving him a bath, maybe I should have given him a rubber ducky?

Point being I will try to get this baby looted and ticked off. The visual design was creepy, its one of those missions that if only it was longer and more tunnel crypts I would have rated it much higher, with more realistic traps around the place. Bonehorde? I really should play the original thief games.

Although I will say that I saw the trap door coming a mile away

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Here is my quick review with spoilers:

Finished on difficult. With 3758 loot acquired.

Not a bad FM considering it took you 3 weeks to made. It's simple, but fun.

THE GOOD:

+Some very nice textures.

+The pagans with the masks are cool.

+I loved the loading screen.

+Secret room is cool and hard to find.

+Good map to play when you do not have much time! xD

THE BAD:

-I didn't like some textures, especially in the maze.

Bug report:

*Here are some glitches that I found: https://drive.google...bnc&usp=sharing

*Spiders tend to glitch a lot.

*I had 3 crashes.

*At the beginning of the maze, there is a sword in the ground that can be picked up, even though I already start with a sword in my inventory. Also the message "acquired shortsword" appears. Still, this looks like a TDM bug.

*I had 2873 loot, but the objective of "get 2800 loot" still didn't complete. Fortunately, after getting a little more loot, the objective was completed.

Thanks!

Edited by Jon Irenicus

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed, I had forgotten to change the args for the loot amounts. Fixed... 1600, 2200, and 2800, like it's supposed to. It was doing 1000, 2000, and 3000 before fixing.

Let me know if google drive does not share the link...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Um25brX9t4ZmVXamg2dXlUN0U/view?usp=sharing

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

This mission has one of the coolest final sections you can find, pretty tense stuff. Also, lots of diversity in scary situations, felt like a classic D&D horror mission for me. Everyone should try it.

• Like 1

Can you check the file size the old one was 7.39MB but the new one is only 4.72MB and the one via Google is 9.8MB

The original contained .pk4s with the plague-mask and jack-o-lantern models and textures, which have long since been merged into the official TDM. Also was an texture of an owl which I have removed. I think I had originally included a .pk4 loot-pack which had such items as a jeweled dagger and other fancy loot.

Edited by PranQster