The Dark Mod Forums

Pro Vocals need redoing

Springheel

Was wondering how the voice recordings have been going, since it's been some time now, are there new sets for all the types and varieties of guards, nobles and so on?

The latest update had a new Moor vocal set. I never did find anyone to redo the pro vocals, and we still have a big need for more female vocals.

The latest update had a new Moor vocal set. I never did find anyone to redo the pro vocals, and we still have a big need for more female vocals.

If you're interested, I could give you some female vocals. I've been discussing with SeriousToni about having you come up with a vocal script which suits Liz Shaw's personality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRdyBgO3OCc

Or alternatively, I could provide a vocal set similar to the "Average Jack" voice. That could come in handy for the FMs I'm planning, especially since I'm thinking of adding lots of custom conversations.

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

Popping can be avoided by "working the mic", mainly by replacing syllables (pronounce P more like B as one example, adding a slight lisp on S to avoid piercing high end as another). Or, one could invest in a USB condenser mic and a simple pop filter.

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

Hm no I meant the vocal seem to be very much comprimated (low bit rate maybe?) or it is your microphone which hasn't such a good quality. But I think it's mostly your wmv. Why wmv? With which software do you record yourself, Spy?

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Hm no I meant the vocal seem to be very much comprimated (low bit rate maybe?) or it is your microphone which hasn't such a good quality. But I think it's mostly your wmv. Why wmv? With which software do you record yourself, Spy?

It's because I use a Windows 7, hence I use its Sound Recorder.

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

@Spy:

If you're going to record vocals, it would be a good plan to grab a copy of Audacity (free).

The program is LOADED with features to help you get the best sound quality. You can remove background hissing, amplify your recording so that it is at 0 db and thus not quiet, and more. Always record to wav and then save as a lossy format (vorbis/wma/mp3) when you are finished editing. If you convert from wma to ogg or vice-versa, you reduce quality further unnecessarily.

Also, TDM does not use WMA.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Yes Audacity is nice for sound recording.

If you want to spare some dime I recommend MAGIX software which is really beginner friendly and cheap.

You also may want to read about what's the difference between WAV and WMA ;)

C'mon, you can do it! :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Too much volume is being thrown at the mic and you are overmodulating it and causing clipping. Between that and the mic that you are using it seems that's where the pops are coming from.

You might also try moving the mic into a position where it doesn't pick up the nasal part of your voice as much. Try aiming the mic toward your chest and see if that helps.

(Man, my first post on these forums in years! It's good to be back here.)

• Like 1

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

Pop shields are less for excessively-loud sounds and more for wind. As a mic is sensitive to pressure, unfortunately it picks up air currents as well as sound waves. Sometimes when you talk (such as pronouncing 'p' or 'f'), you expel a little puff of air, in addition to the sound. The pop shield blocks the wind but not (much of) the sound.

However, a real pop shield (that is, a disk on an arm mounted independently from the microphone stand) is pointless overkill unless you're using a high-end mic (several $100 at least.) For cheap mics, use a windscreen, such a little foam covering on the end of the mic, or just throw a sock over it (seriously.) It can also help to speak past the mic rather than directly into it.

IMHO, windscreens (improvised or otherwise) have a number of advantages over pop shields (unless you have a high-end, professional recording setup):

1. They block wind from all directions instead of only one, so you can take the mic outside. (Although, in high-wind conditions, you'll also need a dead cat.)

2. They take up less space and are more portable - you don't have this gangling arm flopping around.

3. They keep dust out of the inside of your microphone. This is key at my place.

Hey guys,

A friend of mine has been doing v/a work for the fan mission I'm halfway through, and has offered any talent he may or may not have for use in the mod. I don't think there's any shortage of male voices, but another one can't hurt I imagine. Samples are below - he has considerable range (he somehow manages to hide a thick Swedish accent) and is more than competent with editing audio. Do bear in mind that these are just improv lines spliced together from a Skype conversation, so there's bandwidth-related artifacting in the silence, but no editing aside from stitching them together. In other words, they can only get better.

http://puu.sh/aCotJ/1062be3f29.ogg

http://puu.sh/aCo65/b22748de24.ogg

http://puu.sh/aCoAp/d6c84f5e83.ogg

Edited by Airship Ballet

Alright, here is my take on the "relaxed" lines for the pro guard, as per the script earlier in this thread. Currently, they're all normalized to the same volume, with no compression or reverb. I'm open to all kinds of criticism, on both recording and vocal skills. If these are generally satisfactory, my plan is to power through as many lines as I can tonight, and finish the rest in the near future. What say you?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mcmw5xny93rhnz7/tdm_pro_relaxed.zip

I have a few questions. Is the script earlier in this thread the most up-to-date version? Are the names in the script the filenames you want (idle_1, idle_2, etc)? If so, what should I name the coughs, sneezes, and such?

Hey guys,

A friend of mine has been doing v/a work for the fan mission I'm halfway through, and has offered any talent he may or may not have for use in the mod. I don't think there's any shortage of male voices, but another one can't hurt I imagine. Samples are below - he has considerable range (he somehow manages to hide a thick Swedish accent) and is more than competent with editing audio. Do bear in mind that these are just improv lines spliced together from a Skype conversation, so there's bandwidth-related artifacting in the silence, but no editing aside from stitching them together. In other words, they can only get better.

http://puu.sh/aCotJ/1062be3f29.ogg

http://puu.sh/aCo65/b22748de24.ogg

http://puu.sh/aCoAp/d6c84f5e83.ogg

I find as a general the Swedish have some of the best English accents in Europe, no idea why but it seems to be like that... but his voice sounds great! That is how I would expect a pro guard to sound.

So +1 to this