The Dark Mod Forums

Let Sleeping Thieves Lie By Sir Taffsalot & Bikerdude (20/10/2011)

Sir Taffsalot

44 members have voted

1. 1. Appearance

• It made me want to tear my eyes out
    • OK
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Perfect
  2. 2. Gameplay

• Don't touch Darkradiant ever again
    • OK
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Perfect
  3. 3. Story

Nice mission. Like the other posters, I felt it was a bit empty. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed it. I got frustrated at one point, because my first course of action was to check out the streets. I got to the gates to the temple, shot a rope arrow up to a ledge, rappelled onto a gargoyle and then came up against an invisible wall. Don't taunt me with your climbable geometry! :-)

Oh, and it's "assassin," not "assasin." Two asses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great mission , loved it. Brilliant church area. Would have loved a few more Ai and areas to explore but guess this could / can be developed a lot more

i.e haunts etc in the graveyard.

Thanks for the experience !

Sotha: "Hi! It's me, Sotha, and I'd like to write a FM review..."

FMA: "AIEEE!" *flees in terror*

Sotha: "Aww, man. I just wanted to say that..."

FMA: *blocks ears, punches the big red button labeled: "block user messages"*

Sotha: "Just wanted to say it's a good mission.."

FMA: *Message blocked due to automatic filter.*

Down to business:

Objectives: The briefing text was clear. It related well with the objectives. It was clear what the mission wanted me to do. I felt motivated. The briefing was well written. Initially, I felt I needed a map to be able to decide where to go. But the area wasn't that big, so I got along without a map. Anyways, for the future, a map is always a nice extra touch. It gives the player possibilities to make decisions right from the start.

Appearance: Good. Some areas looked plain. Like the crypts. Some areas look very nice. Like the city.

The colors looked a bit washed out. The world ambient was a bit too bright. You can see it that the light gem is level one, when standing up. It should be totally dark if you stand in the darkness. I did the same thing with my first missions. I recommend you to do the training mission gamma room and maybe reconsider ambient lights. Saturation 0, hue 0, value 5 is a good starting setting. But of course, the ambient should take into account where you are. Well lit streets have a higher ambient than underground areas, which should be almost black.

I felt there was a strange change in proportions between the city and the church/crypts. The city and the sewers felt believable in size. The church and the crypts felt too big, almost gargantuan, like the people who built them were much bigger than ordinary humans.

Gameplay: Good. Some areas were very good. Like the city and the sewers. The difficulty was top-notch in those areas and I had great fun. Lights were well placed and patrols were interesting.

The crypts were a bit too easy. No lights, big corridors. I could just run around there without danger.

The revenant crypts were just about right. The corridor narrowness provided some interesting gameplay.

You might have wanted to use the AI relight behavior in the sewers. The light switch was a really good idea. Also I liked the candles you placed around. It was nice to wait for a moment to relit them. Relight behavior might have had something extra in here. But it was good as it was.

Story: Excellent. You definately excel in stories, that is obvious. The briefing got me hooked. The readables were very good. Interesting and well written. The clues were clear and intelligent. The destruction of the book was well though-of. Overall, pretty clever and gripping. Give yerself a pat on the back.

Overall, I'd say this mission is one of the best beginning FMA missions around here. I'm very interested to see what you cook up next. Well done!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I take positive feedback from a much experienced FMA as yourself as high praise indeed.

I'm very glad that you enjoyed it.

On an unreleated note, should I be expecting a Sotha FM anytime soon? Your probably the most consistant

FMA we have and a Sotha mission feels over due. If your just having a well deserved break I cant say I blame

you.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

On an unreleated note, should I be expecting a Sotha FM anytime soon? Your probably the most consistant

FMA we have and a Sotha mission feels over due. If your just having a well deserved break I cant say I blame

you.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a mission from me. I'm on a well deserved break. But I admit I've been using some free time (a scarce commodity) to play around how to make a mission with higher replay value. That is something I want to still do at some point.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked the open spaces, especially the one between street and church. You just had to insert a little more AI and static objects I (personally) think.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

• 5 weeks later...

Ok...I feel like a complete idiot, but after spending a good half hour searching, and running up against the invisible wall over the gates, and then reading through the forums, and then searching some more, I finally found the route into the graveyard....only to run into a locked church door. Where the heck is the key? I've KO'd every guard I can find, and the only key I found was the one to the sewers. I can't believe I'm having this much difficulty (with a friend here to help) when no one else seems to have had trouble getting in. :blink:

you have to get into the church via the crypts. There's two. One that connects the cellar in the tavern to the graveyard and one that connects the graveyard to the church. The entrance to the second one is just oppisite the exit/entrance to the first set of crypts. Sorry that my FM is giving you such a headache.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot
  • Like 1

The Joker

Looks like I forgot to mention my experience on this one. Sorry for that. :blush:

This mission is really great for a start Sir Taffsalot. It's easy on the AI patrols but gameplay & story is still good. Church is the savior of this mission in both visuals & gameplay. Without church/graveyard area, it'll be boring I believe.

I liked the destroy effect of the holy symbol. However, the objective didn't updated which prevented to complete the mission. No big deal it was the final part after all.

Thanks for the fun. :)

The entrance to the second one is just oppisite the exit/entrance to the first set of crypts. Sorry that my FM is giving you such a headache.

Where? That other small building? I could swear I checked the door twice and it didn't frob.

I actually enjoyed the first half of the mission quite a bit. The briefing was great, the streets were enjoyable, and I thought the sewer area was very well done. But as soon as I had to find my way into the church things went downhill. I had already broken my two rope arrows by then, and couldn't find any movable crates or any other method to get over the gate, so I had to restart and redo the whole sewer section.

Then I spent a great deal of time trying to get over the main gate. I finally (after many, many deaths) managed to get on top of a gargoyle statue, only to be blocked by an invisible wall. After abandoning that I tried going through the inn, but somehow missed seeing the stairs down to the basement the first time. Once in the graveyard I couldn't see anything else to do but go through the locked doors, but obviously I missed something.

@ SP - Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for playing.

@SH - Sorry to hear that you had a negative experience playing my FM. This is my first attempt at level editing and even with Bikers help I know it's still a bit rough around the edges but I honestly didn't think it would give anyone this much trouble. Thank you for taking the time to play it anyway.

The Joker

• 1 month later...

Just gave this one a play through.

I guess the last few posts sum it up pretty well.

It was fun and not a bad effort at all for a first map. I think taking that experience and putting it into a new map you could have a very nice second release.

I can see where SH had a bit of a time, though I got lucky and found my way right away.

getting into the church through the pub was a bit of a round about, maybe having a second route would've been good

The atmosphere definitely could be a bit darker.

Story was really good.

The loot placements were good, not too much, but fun to find. This is the first time I actually had a rope arrow spotted, was cool to see the guards reacting to it.

I think you could do a small update that could really boost it quite easily.

more ai- church was very empty, an optional way onto church grounds (and maybe way to sewer from there?), darker ambient lighting and the torch in the hallway past sewer uses the torch base, not torch entity - lol, I recently added an 'icon' for base entities but your map breaks that so I might have to get rid of it :( ) [/spoilers] but I don't think it's required by any means.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

It was fun and not a bad effort at all for a first map. I think taking that experience and putting it into a new map you could have a very nice second release.

I'm currently working on my second map and using everything I learned from LSTL. All the areas have more than 1 access point plus it makes no difference which part of the map you go to first. All objectives can be done in any order for non linear feel. Plus more AI and a strong focus on thier patrol routes.

I'm much to enthusiastic about working on my second map to do an update. Maybe once that's finished I'll do an update.

Thanks for playing BC.

The Joker

I'm much to enthusiastic about working on my second map to do an update. Maybe once that's finished I'll do an update.

Unless the mission is broken, don't do an update. You will get tangled up in an endless loop of improvement you could invest into a new project.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

The world ambient was a bit too bright. You can see it that the light gem is level one, when standing up. It should be totally dark if you stand in the darkness.

That's a known bug, you can offset the light gem so it work correctly. There is an arg you can apply to a world brush for this, but cant remember what it is.

Unless the mission is broken, don't do an update. You will get tangled up in an endless loop of improvement you could invest into a new project.

Heh, guilty as charged.

you can offset the light gem so it work correctly. There is an arg you can apply to a world brush for this, but cant remember what it is.

somebody link me to the documentation on this please? i'm still not back to map-editing yet, but this was a very sore spot for me, nice to know mappers can control this.

Heh, guilty as charged.

Me too, that's why I posted.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 2 months later...

How do I destroy the Necronomicon?

Hope you make more FMs it was fun.

Throw the Necronomicon against the holy symbol in the church

I'm glad your having fun. I have a second FM in the works which will hopefully be out this year.

• Like 1

The Joker