The Dark Mod Forums

Let Sleeping Thieves Lie By Sir Taffsalot & Bikerdude (20/10/2011)

Sir Taffsalot

44 members have voted

1. 1. Appearance

• It made me want to tear my eyes out
    • OK
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Perfect
  2. 2. Gameplay

• Don't touch Darkradiant ever again
    • OK
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Perfect
  3. 3. Story

• 3 months later...

Mission was a goodie, I very much like the look of the cementry together with the church, I just couldn't take a hint on:

how to destroy the freakin book, was looking for all sorts of holy potions and flames but I would never come up with throwing the book against the holy symbol, was it said somewhere?

I'm glad you like it. My second one is being beta tested and should be out anytime now.

In the church tower the priests diary says that the large holy symbol has recently been put above the altar and was blessed with holy water just before being put there.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

• 3 months later...

Quite a nice looking mission but its mostly on the outside, what with the huge church and the nice set of buildings on the town.. on the inside the level design is quite uninspiring. I must admit I was pretty disappointed with the gameplay mostly due to the level design. Its all just corridors,

2 linear set of corridoors for the inside the tavern, and the other for the sewers, then theres that first crypt area that leads to dead ends with the stone coffins and one maze like set of corridoors that hides the exit to the Hammerite church. And we surprisingly don't get to face off with a undead Blackthorn, turns out the guy with a Necronomicon of all things hasn't figured out how to return a body back with intelligence. So instead of a assassination styled undead kill fest we get to backtrack to the church, to solve a little puzzle :(

Rule of thumb, if the character says he has a bad feeling about this, then something bad better happen!!

Gameplay 2

Visuals 3

Storyline 2

Edited by TheUnbeholden

• 1 year later...

I've just finished the mission though it's quite old, it seems. Nevertheless I liked it.

What I liked most is gameplay:

it's a mixture of city-taffing and horror-type mission. And we have 3 parts: city streets (with open windows of course), sewers and catacombs and this variety of locations prevents player from becoming bored. Also I liked how intuitive most of the challenges were (both finding loot and tasks I mean). However, I played on Difficult and had to use console to find 3500+ loot needed. And it turned out that there were only 4 pieces left. It means that you have to collect almost on loot on a map in order to complete the mission, and, as many have notice here, some loot in the catacombs is easily missable, which kinda spoilt the ending a bit.

All in all it's a nice and enjoyable mission and I even didn't notice scale problems like some people in comments here. I especially liked

how huge the church is, like the real one.

• Like 1

How we speak depends on how we keep silent.

Many thanks for the kind words Lex. As this is my first TDM FM and any kind of level editing, this is probably quite rough around the edges but I'm glad that you liked it. I also agree, it's cool that although it's not a big FM, it has lots of different locations that you would find in your typical Thief level.

Many thanks for taking the time to play it and thanks for your kind words.

The Joker

• 2 months later...

What I noticed, especially after playing all your FMs so far, is, that you always build those really large mission, that, in the end, lack several things to make them outstanding. First of all, I think your mapping skills are very solid and you have shown improvement with every new map. As said before here, you have a good hand for storytelling and an overall idea how a good mission has to be designed. The loot is also in good places, the objectives are clear and well placed, and the player generally gets a good experience. What I don´t like and what others already mentioned, is the problem of the large map scale. It feels like you start building a map with great ideas and a lot of motivation, you start building the rough basics of it and then, in the end, you notice, how much time you would have to spend to fill it all with detail. This was the problem in all of your maps so far and it also was the reason for me to not rate any of your maps, because it would rig the results. Why? Because the appearance is always good, but thanks to the size, lacking in detail and often being made of simple geometry/corridors. Because the story and the gameplay are good, but lose their value thanks to backtracking and running around doing nothing (another thing are those empty streets, where only some higher spaces are accessable and sometimes hold loot needed for the objective). I am writing this, because I thing you have the potential to be a great mapper, but you are always putting such a big burden on your shoulders with your ambitious goals and it is always resulting in good but not great missions. I hope, one day you design a small Melan-like map with lots of detail and advanced geometry and show everyone, how good you really are. Until then, dont´t give up and keep on improving :)

Edited by Cookie

Thanks for the constructive criticism Cookie and I agree with your comments. I know I'm not up there with the likes of Melan and Bikerdude but all I can do is keep on improving. My fourth map is almost done and I would like to think it's the best one yet.

Thanks for taking the time to play my maps and leave some well thought out comments.

The Joker

• 7 years later...

Interesting mission. I liked the city streets with several upstairs apartments you can clamber up to and loot. This is always a nice touch that makes the City feel lived in and gives the player a reward for exploring.

The architecture is unfortunately weirdly oversized, making me and the watchmen seem like little hobbitses walking around a human town.

I though the church was really impressive. Unfortunately grabbing the objective loot there was too trivial because there were no Builders walking around, making it sadly a bit boring.

What tipped me off to the solution to the puzzle wasn't the book, but the fact that you could climb up to the cathedral rafters and nothing was there.

Loot goal was too unfair on the hardest difficulty. You've really got to find all the tiny rings in the crypts, which is nearly impossible because it's a labyrinth and the rings are virtually invisible against the bright ambient.

All in all I thought it was an interesting mission let down by a lack of guards, weird architecture, and uneven pacing.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle