The Dark Mod Forums

Forums upgraded to the latest (and greatest) IPB Board version!

modetwo

So has anybody actually tried the user CSS I posted? Does it work for you? Does it fix the color problems?

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=UserContent.css

(Since posting it I spotted about 5 more case with unreadable white-on-almost-white text, will fix this in a few days - but if nobody uses it, why bother?)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

modetwo: cool. Should I add my other fixes for the few unreadable cases I found, too? IRC it was the polls, and some of the menus.

In regarding of "fixing" the CSS; I think the current one is a hopelss mess from a design point of view. Normally there is a rule that you'd not use more than four colors, or four shades. However, the default version of this had about 8 different colors of grey just coming from the background to the actual content of the post... and that is not counting the various menus, buttons, boxes and whatnot.

And then there is the case of the highlights. Some elements highlight in yellow, some in white, some make their background more opaque, some highlight with a lighter background, some change ther color (lighting up red), some have no highligh at all - and yet, they all seem to do something when clicked. The only thing that works is that at least they did not screw around with the cursors - if it turns into a hand - something is clickable. And the worst part is that some things like the "Forum" or "Member" tab have no CSS class "active" or something when you f.i. click on New Content. That means you can't even make them stand out when they are active! But from a usability point of view, this is a mess.

I have tried to unify things a bit, but I'll guess this will never be complete unless someone redesigns it from scratch.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

One thing when using IE8 is that the white IP number in the corner of the post overlaps the first line of text. It makes the last few words of the line very difficult to read.

I have updated the userContent.css file, this time fixing the unreadable polls, the unreadable attachment area, made the messages colors better (errors reddish, normal ones greenish), and fix ed a number of small issues including mismatched borders, unreadable colors or non-highlighting links.

The file can now be found here: http://bloodgate.com/tmp/userContent.css

Enjoy and please tell me when you use it.

jNcL5zsFbes5x.jpg

I don't know If it's mentioned or not.

edit: Extremely wide dashed border occurs with FF8. No problem with IE9.

The dashed border is the "you did select this link", e.g. the symbol is a link, you clicked on it, and FF marks it as "that is what you last clicked". The reason why it is so wide is because that is a small symbol (12x12 pixel or so), but it is "floating right"; which means for firefox it extends all the way to the left.

Not sure, but probably by setting a "max-width" and/or "width" on it this might be avoided.

I did try to implement your .css file in Opera, but it doesn't seem to work. I'm either not seein a diference (in Opera User Mode) or the site display is completely garbled (in Opera Author Mode). I'm switching back the the original blindingly white style.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I think some of it makes the forums look ugly (especially the difference between unread/read threads/forums),

Agreed. Some of the contrast is now way too high, IMO, like the bright white, bold titles (it's as harsh to look at as the original white scheme now). I find the polls quite harsh to look at as well.

I'd be happy to play around the settings to see if there's a happy medium somewhere, but I don't want to step on any toes.

Whoah, +1 here, the forum overview page is really overdone now.

Could you please post a screenshot? And tell me which of the changes you don't like?

The reason is that I was unable to change some of the backgrounds (and for every change, I need to completely restart Firefox). So it is very cumbersome and error-prone.

So my suspicion is that I am not seeing the same colors as everyone else. :(

(It seems also depend a lot on the monitor - at work, it was way to contrasty for me w/o the changes, here at home not enough with the changes..)

But on the positive side, some of the almost-impossible-to-read things I posted above are fixed now.

I can comment each of the changes, so it would be possible to implement them one-by-one. Although for some of them, it is a bit hard to sep. what the change does, as the CSS on this board is not properly done - some of the things are re-used and/or mixed.

@Springheel:

Agreed. Some of the contrast is now way too high, IMO, like the bright white, bold titles (it's as harsh to look at as the original white scheme now).

Which one do you refer to? I am pretty sure making them toned-down is possible.

I find the polls quite harsh to look at as well.

I am not that happy with them, either. But as I said, every change needs a complete firefox restart, and in the case of the polls, a relogin and refinding of that topic - so it is very very cumbersome to change the colors.

Normally, I'd just edit them with Firebug inline, but this board uses compressed CSS, which is a total mess and uneditable as it is *sigh*

So, any changes are welcome.

Here's a screenshot:

forum.png

The worst part is the "unread forum" row, it's looking harsh and out-of-place. The background of the regular forum rows is now very dark (even with my relatively well-lit LCD). It's not a bad thing per se, but in comparison with the looks from a day ago it's a bit overdone. Maybe it's the forum chrome (the lines and borders) which are making the overall impression a harsh one, it looks a bit unprofessional, like it's one of those ancient out-of-the-box Windows high-contrast colour schemes. It might be well to read for people with visual problems, but for everybody else those were frickin' plain ugly.

So, if I get you, you say that if the "unread" forum was darker, it would be ok? Or still too dark the background of the others?

As for the "unread" forum one, I cannot seem to find the CSS rule that governs its background, the web developer toolbar shows only styles without any background declaration at all :(

I guess I can try to make the "ipsbox" background brighter, maybe that helps.

Hey, has anyone difficulties with mobile devices and this forum?

I use the mobile version on my cell phone and it works otherwise, but for some reason it will not remember me. I'll always have to relogin after a while even I choose the "remember me" setting. Same thing for the full version of the forum on my phone.

Previous board version did not have this issue. And other sites do remember me, so it is not a phone issue.

On my computer, remembering works like it should. I tried clearing phone browser cookies and then relogin with remember me setting, but it did not help.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

A new issue that just started a few days ago for me...occasionally when I try to type a reply, the input window goes black so I can't see anything. Refreshing the window solves the problem, but it's kind of annoying. Anyone else seeing this?