The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: House in Blackbog Hollow by stumpy (2011/10/28)

stumpy

41 members have voted

1. 1. Halloween element, Storytelling and consistency

2. 2. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag?

3. 3. Aesthetics: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style. Audio use, mood.

I understand what you're saying, and to a point, I agree. Your missions can be difficult and challenging Sotha, we love them. :) I call this mission mindless fun, and for some it was fun. Everyone won't like every mission that comes out, that goes without saying, in the end, to each his/her own.

• 9 months later...

This is a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful mission! The amount of fun and laughs I had with this one was amazing and I enjoyed it fully. At first glance I thought it will be another grab the loot and get out mission by a beginner with corny look of the environment(which was a little corny here and there) but then it was getting better and funnier and better! Glad to finally have chance to play this one.

• 2 months later...

Ha! I just replayed this mission today, so yes, I can help you! ... Do exactly as Oldjim wrote. ;)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 3 months later...

One thing I've noticed about the Horror genre is that certain authors evoke suspense and dread while others offer a "window into madness". This nightmare world that they evoke is meant to make you feel like a fish out of water. This is the style of David Lynch and (to a much much lesser degree) Rob Zombie. In this mission and Illusionist's Tower we are transported to this strange and dreadful "stumpy world". I'm not sure if the fear it evokes is more directly related to the mission itself... It's more of a dread that I get from the presence of stumpy's mind.

It's a fear of the mission author... (and very much in the horror film tradition I mentioned above).

I'm sure stumpy is a fine chap. I'd personally stick to a public place for a first meeting that's all :laugh:

I totally agree that that I'm all for the kind of horror games and mods that allow you to see into the heart of madness, in a way that few horror games do. In that you can no longer trust the perspective of the characters shoes you are in. This blurring of reality and hallucinations is confusion & unbound by the laws or reality, it brings with it either story that delves into the subconscious mind, raising questions of morality, philosophy and the nature of existence, whether it be a thin layer that can be stripped away or merely a very subjective place that is no more real than our own imagination, its a subject that lends itself so well to video games because we are already detached from the character we control so the game can easily reinforce this by making the character so out of his mind... a separation between us, our conscious self, & the character in the game, his mostly unconscious mind. Not to mention creating weird, out of this world visuals is easier for video games as they are all made of "effects" so we can easily manipulate what that character sees.

but........ the problem is this is one of those badly made ones, where theres a very obvious supernatural presence. Or like one of those games where the character is clearly sane as he can think logically and reality seems normal, except for that one strange apparition or monster he sees every once awhile. Like a representation of his guilt or other deep rooted emotion. These kinds of "insanity" stories are always quite simply, uninteresting & barely scratch the surface of what reality bending insanity is about.

Not to mention the looting is easy, the pumpkins are comedic, the house is pretty bare, and nothing (aside from the skybox) is designed well.

Edited by TheUnbeholden

• 1 year later...

Could it be that the 2.0 broke some of the graphics? Lightning from pumpkin heads is replaced with simple billboard looking graphic. Also on the first floor there is some particle effect which consists of small squares falling...

Very nice and eerie mission btw.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Yes.

After some reloading and testing, I would say the problem is the random lack of triggering the event. Most times, it works, sometimes nothing happens for several minutes, which is where I usually give up ;)

Similar thing happens on the other side of the mirror, I can hear the villain mumbling about, but he won't make an appearance for several minutes. Looks like he gets stuck somewhere. Usually he shows up in less a minute.

One more thing, when I stay on the plinth, the king will shine his ray of light on me, alerting the villain. I don't think, this is supposed to happen.

Very fun mission anyway, thanks for the updated version!

• 2 years later...

I'm stuck

I get all the pumpkins. I go through the portal. The master comes out and he just stands there next to the king pumpkin. The master doesn't stand in front of the portal. If I start the ritual, it's mission fail. If I jump up and down in the portal to get him to come out there, it's mission fail. What am I suppose to do?

Edit

I finally found a spot to wait for him where he doesn't get stuck.

Edited by wanderer

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm stuck

I get all the pumpkins. I go through the portal. The master comes out and he just stands there next to the king pumpkin. The master doesn't stand in front of the portal. If I start the ritual, it's mission fail. If I jump up and down in the portal to get him to come out there, it's mission fail. What am I suppose to do?

I just replayed the mission and the master failed to pathfind to his ritual position (ran in circles behind the King for a while, then just stand there).

I solved that problem by broadheading the master and then carrying the still warm corpse to his ritual position. Worked fine.

The trigger does not care, whether the AI is dead or alive. Also, killing him does not count as a killing regarding the mission objectives (same as the spiders).