Creeps, The. Halloween Speed Build 2011  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Halloween element, Storytelling and consistency

• One Star
    • Two Stars
    • Three Stars
    • Four Stars
    • Five Stars
  2. 2. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag?

• One Star
    • Two Stars
    • Three Stars
    • Four Stars
    • Five Stars
  3. 3. Aesthetics: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style. Audio use, mood.

• One Star
    • Two Stars
    • Three Stars
    • Four Stars
    • Five Stars

I LLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEE your use of colored lights in this mission, the aesthetics are amazing. Lots of fun if small and short, completed in about 25 minutes with all loot except the locked chest and a few baubles I think.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

very awesome. i know i'll be studying the assets of this map for cool techniques and scripting.

Can't think of a single reason to rate any category as less than 4. will weigh it in my mind a bit about giving out 5's though. i'm pretty stingy with 'em. definitely considering.

All in all, I think you might of stolen the show on this contest, MD!!

I liked this one. The atmosphere was very nice.

Halloween: full score. It had everything one might expect from a halloween story. Well, one thing was missing. Some kind of vague rationale for the creepiness, so that the player could figure out why there is these weird things.

Gameplay: 4 stars. There were no annoyances. Everything worked. The spookiness was spooky, but simultaneously it didn't require in sudden deaths and restartings.

I knew something was up at the crown. I tried to grab it from the top of the pedestal, but could not do it. So I dropped on the ground, grabbed it and jumped back on top of the pedestal. That way I had a few seconds to think how am I gonna elude the haunt. I decided to run upstairs, which I hadn't explored yet. Luckily for me, I got out.

Aesthetics: 4 stars. The geometry was really simple, but for some reason the exterior was a bit choppy indicating maybe that it was not fully optimized. But simple geometry is usually enough for me and there was interesting & inventive use of colored lights.

Overall: nice, working, well-thought up mission. I liked also your voiceovers: where they from the mapper or some external voice talent?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Glad you enjoyed yourself, Sotha. :smile:

I really wish I could have spent more time on the story. I gave a lame kind of miscreant motivation "Sneak inside while their backs are turned", and didn't have time to explain all the supernatural occurrences.

The outdoors were a bit of an optimization afterthought. On the other hand, a large performance boost comes from the fact that there are only two AI working behind-the-scenes. An interesting change opposed to the usual dozen+ in most missions.

My voice actor wishes to remain anonymous. I will say this: I chose this man firstly because he has a genuinely aged bass voice, but secondly because he is fairly outspoken against video games in general. I got him to record these lines, with multiple takes, with some genuine critique, in front of a big intimidating condenser microphone. Essentially, I introduced to him how video game developers are talented artists, professionals, experienced and devoted men, and not some toymakers gone bad. Or the modern version of Socrates, corrupting the youth. ;)

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I enjoyed this, couldnt get to sleep all night - ended up playing this while testing 1.07 at 6am.

The voiceover was very nice - really makes a big difference!

Geometry wasn't too pretty, but it wasn't about that - so you're excused ;)

Coloured lighting was interesting, admittedly I had my doubts after seeing the screenshots - seemed perfect in play however.

That was dope! But short. It'd be crazy if it was half an hour longer at least. Gameplay was really nip and tuck with A Night to Remember imo.

Rating:

Halloween -> 5 : Obviously.

Gameplay -> 4 : Lack of fun duration. I blame contest's condition on this matter.

Aesthetics -> 3 : I admit lighting was nice, but world geometry was kinda simple. Yeah, there were custom vocal records too but they didn't sound right to me. Not minus, but not plus either.

Edited by SiyahParsomen

A fine mission , short but very sweet. Loved the

well emptying bit. Nice touch.

Thank you.

I enjoyed this, and for a speed-build contest it's quite impressive.

I was expecting something to happen when I grabbed the crown, so I scouted out my escape route in advance...as soon as heard the haunt I dashed up the stairs. I got hit by something read and took damage, but then just ran out. Never did see what it was, and I wasn't even sure there WAS a ghost until reading this thread.

Lots of nice touches, and some suitably creepy moments. I loved the intro movie (there's now just you, I and Goldcochobo so far...hope more people will get on board with those) and the voice-overs. I appreciated the loading screen as well...it's another small touch that really adds some polish.

Within the first 30 seconds of the game I saw outside the game-world, which was a bit of a downer (if you climb over the railing and along the ledge to the corner, there is a gap where you see out into the void) but everything from then on was great.

I enjoyed manipulating the machines and seeing the cogs turn, though I had no idea what it actually did until reading the thread.

My only real complaint is that I would have liked to have some people to worry about earlier on. I didn't get bored, but I missed having to actually hide. A few more readables with some backstory also would have added a thing or two...but given it was a speedbuild those are very minor complaints.

Good work! :)

edit: oh, one other thing...I had a flashbomb icon in my inventory, but it said "0". Didn't turn out to matter but did confuse me.

Actually, all I can see is: "You have already voted in this poll"... Looked everywhere, a word search doesnt show anything. Maybe the new layout changed it?

Wondering if you found a solution to the "delete vote" problem? I had the exact same trouble in another mission and feel bad about giving an incorrect vote.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

@Unwanted Guest

Look around for some

machinery or plumbing that can pump out the water.

Extra hint:

You need to not only turn on the machine, but also turn the valve on the pipe next to the machine.

Actually

The first play through I couldn't empty the well, I turned the machine on and the dial both.

Second run (just restarted instead of quick load) I hit the machine and it turned the dial. Then it worked.

Same as Springheel, I had 0 flashbombs, also had 0 health potion, though I used it and it worked.

Really fun and interesting. When I was loading I was curious as the screens looked pretty, but I really wasn't in the mood for an 'alternate' gameplay. But I found it to be really fun and immerseful (? lol) anyway.

Great stuff all around, only missed one 150 piece of loot that I cheated for right at the end.

----------

I want to do a 'load movie' to as Spring said, but I looked at wiki, we have no tut for it.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

• 4 months later...

I've updated "The Creeps" to version 1.01. I'm taking care of this now, long before Halloween, so I can focus on other projects.

I haven't added enough to make it worth another playthrough. I just applied a coat of polish -- prettying up brushwork, and adding a bit more atmosphere.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair