The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: A Night To Remember by Fieldmedic (2011/10/30)

DeTeEff

41 members have voted

1. 1. Halloween element, Storytelling and consistency

2. 2. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, etc. Versus Bugs. Frustration. Boredom, framelag...

3. 3. Aesthetics: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, Audio use, mood...

Finally casted my votes. I went with 5, 5, and 4 respectively. The only reason I gave a 4 in the last category was that there were

a couple of rooms on the first floor that were inexplicably bright. I guess the ambient light was set higher here than other rooms and it looked slightly out of place.

Still, I think this has a high chance at winning the contest. Also, who *didn't* pick up the pool queue and try to knock a few balls around? Maybe we'll see that momentum transfer bug fixed soon and things like this can be done.

The ambient_world isn't intentionally changed anytime during the mission. But it may be the dynamic light that plays tricks...and in some rooms there is an additional ambient to simulate the fireplaces iluminating the room.

You know you can pick up the balls also? :) But the physics won't allow you to manipulate them with the queue...

Wondering if I'm missing something. Just started and

have no tools of the trade. Have been through the house at least rooms that weren't locked looking for them but haven't found anything. Not even any loot. As a master thief I would think that I'd always have something nearby at least? I've even found the ghost and failed the new objective.

Is this correct and I should just go with it or is something not right?

Wondering if I'm missing something. Just started and

have no tools of the trade. Have been through the house at least rooms that weren't locked looking for them but haven't found anything. Not even any loot. As a master thief I would think that I'd always have something nearby at least? I've even found the ghost and failed the new objective.

Is this correct and I should just go with it or is something not right?

As you're not out on a regular mission (just a friendly visit to a certain person) you don't start the mission with any thieving equipment.

You'll be given lockpicks at a later stage.

The mission is quite railroaded in the beginning; the only place you can go is the study and from there you are herded to chase the other intruder. The chase should be quite straightforward exept the first turn when the intruder darts left into the arch way (servants quarters). This is the "hardest" part of the chase, after that you cannot go wrong, as it'll be easier to detect the open doors and later he'll be tip over a barrel with wine and from there he'll be making foot prints. In the servants quarters you'll be making your first encounter with the ghosts...

As you're not out on a regular mission (just a friendly visit to a certain person) you don't start the mission with any thieving equipment.

You'll be given lockpicks at a later stage.

The mission is quite railroaded in the beginning; the only place you can go is the study and from there you are herded to chase the other intruder. The chase should be quite straightforward exept the first turn when the intruder darts left into the arch way (servants quarters). This is the "hardest" part of the chase, after that you cannot go wrong, as it'll be easier to detect the open doors and later he'll be tip over a barrel with wine and from there he'll be making foot prints. In the servants quarters you'll be making your first encounter with the ghosts...

Thanks. I remember your other mission and shall go with the floe.

This is my first mission of this Halloween and these are my first impressions before I finish the mission up:

Playing pool, not so easy with these physics :P

Someone knocked on my door and I didn't know that it was IRL

Nice modern art sculpture in the pool room

Fuck you ghost I need WEPON not DAMAGE FIELD\

Where is WEPON???

I noticed you used the Winter Harvest style note boxes.

Oil + interaction is good, though I couldn't tell why I needed to use the machine / what it was.

Fumbling around with doors + getting killed by ghosts got annoying so I quit. I would have left if I could meet the loot requirement, which seemed far off.

Score 5/2/4

Edited by jaxa

This is my first mission of this Halloween and these are my first impressions before I finish the mission up:

Playing pool, not so easy with these physics :P

Someone knocked on my door and I didn't know that it was IRL

Nice modern art sculpture in the pool room

Fuck you ghost I need WEPON not DAMAGE FIELD\

Where is WEPON???

I noticed you used the Winter Harvest style note boxes.

Oil + interaction is good, though I couldn't tell why I needed to use the machine / what it was.

Fumbling around with doors + getting killed by ghosts got annoying so I quit. I would have left if I could meet the loot requirement, which seemed far off.

Score 5/2/4

To address your points, one by one...

Agreed, bloody physics, mucking about!

Immersion!

My idea, Fieldmedic's brilliant work.

A WEPON FOR GORDON FREEMON! Seriously, it's a ghost, what would you whack it with? It can pass through walls, so I don't see why it would be bothered with swords...

There is one. It won't help against the ghosts, though.

Don't know about them note boxes...

That's why I wrote those readibles..... They're there to be read... because they're readibles..

It's a hard level and no, the loot requirements are just fine.

Score is subjective and all....

- Writer Ascendant >

To address your points, one by one...

A WEPON FOR GORDON FREEMON! Seriously, it's a ghost, what would you whack it with? It can pass through walls, so I don't see why it would be bothered with swords...

There is one. It won't help against the ghosts, though.

Yes I knew that the wepon was for the priest. I just got killed a lot by ghost radius. If this mission was easier you would've only been hurt by touching or getting seen and attacked by goast. I might play through it again and look for these "readables" to try and get the remaining loot.

Oh and while the score is subjective, as long as I play+vote for all the missions and use my same subjective criteria, it at least means something in relation to one another :P

This is embarrassing - in the master bedroom

I managed to roll back the carpet and was just trying to pick the lock and I was killed. Now I can't work out how I did it

and this even more odd - is it a glitch - I went back to a save game and

the carpet was rolled back

Edited by Oldjim

This is embarrassing - in the master bedroom

I managed to roll back the carpet and was just trying to pick the lock and I was killed. Now I can't work out how I did it

and this even more odd - is it a glitch - I went back to a save game and

the carpet was rolled back

It was probably the ghost from the servants quarters that caught up with you, and took you by surprise :) She moves through the walls in the toilet.

The carpet is rolled back when the player moves into the alcove with the bath and see the dead lady AND has read the book from the butlers desk. If your loaded save game is at a state prior to this, then it must be some kind of scripting- or objectives bug because the mat roll is controlled through triggers, scripts and objectives...

This was definitely an awesome mission!

I'm a little over 200 short of the loot requirement on Expert, though--any ideas what I might be missing?

I read the note on the bulletin board near the kitchen about the paintings in the hall being replaced by copies and the originals being put in the "east wing's storage room," but I don't know exactly what room that refers to (I've been everywhere, though). The only place that made sense was the art room, but there are only two empty frames there.

Also, I found a glitch no one else has mentioned:

When I first encountered the "ice box" where the conservatory key is hidden, I frobbed the crank for the chain and got the message about needing oil, but when I frobbed the ice box directly, it opened without any problems and I was able to access the conservatory key right off the bat. I realized this would have the effect of circumventing almost the entire mission (I could have gone ahead to the conservatory and killed the priest without having to go through any of the rest of the mansion and without having to find any of the other keys or the oil flask first), so I tried my best to ignore the fact that I already had the key I ultimately needed and went on with the rest of the mission, but that obviously takes away a lot of the fun. I don't know if the ice box only opens for me, or if I'm the only one who decided to frob it directly rather than just using the chain control, but it should obviously be unfrobbable or locked until the player has the oil flask in hand.

I haven't been able to finish this because of being short on loot, but otherwise, this is definitely going on my favorite missions list. :-)

--Jennifer

This was definitely an awesome mission!

I'm a little over 200 short of the loot requirement on Expert, though--any ideas what I might be missing?

I read the note on the bulletin board near the kitchen about the paintings in the hall being replaced by copies and the originals being put in the "east wing's storage room," but I don't know exactly what room that refers to (I've been everywhere, though). The only place that made sense was the art room, but there are only two empty frames there.

Also, I found a glitch no one else has mentioned:

When I first encountered the "ice box" where the conservatory key is hidden, I frobbed the crank for the chain and got the message about needing oil, but when I frobbed the ice box directly, it opened without any problems and I was able to access the conservatory key right off the bat. I realized this would have the effect of circumventing almost the entire mission (I could have gone ahead to the conservatory and killed the priest without having to go through any of the rest of the mansion and without having to find any of the other keys or the oil flask first), so I tried my best to ignore the fact that I already had the key I ultimately needed and went on with the rest of the mission, but that obviously takes away a lot of the fun. I don't know if the ice box only opens for me, or if I'm the only one who decided to frob it directly rather than just using the chain control, but it should obviously be unfrobbable or locked until the player has the oil flask in hand.

I haven't been able to finish this because of being short on loot, but otherwise, this is definitely going on my favorite missions list. :-)

--Jennifer

The room you're looking for is a secret area under the stairs in the east wings. The switch to that compartment is located inside the trophy room, the room with the sword and arrows.

Damn! Is that so? Then it's definitely a glitch...I must fix that and make a new upload. Many thanks :) Funny though that you are the first to notice it. Obviously most players have reached for the gadgets and switches first :)

Just started this one , lovely atmosphere and some creepy mission. I'm glad Thiefette asked

about starting equipment , found the lockpicks easily enough but as yet not a weapon in sight.

Those ghosts are starting to fray my nerves , just the sort of mission to play in the dark at dead of night !

Re the ice box

It opened without me needing to do anything else - I did think that it was a bit easy as all I needed to do was find the sword to kill the priest

Re the carpet

I had read the book and visited the alcove so I don't know what caused it not to roll back until I reloaded the game

Edited by Oldjim

Re the ice box

It opened without me needing to do anything else - I did think that it was a bit easy as all I needed to do was find the sword to kill the priest

Re the carpet

I had read the book and visited the alcove so I don't know what caused it not to roll back until I reloaded the game

Yes, as whitefantom mentioned above, the freezer is a bug. I shall reupload a new version. But even if you've killed the priest, there is a lot of looting to do...

The mat should never roll back, once rolled up, it should stay that way, or else there is a bug...

I will wait for the updated version and then play it on hardest -

of course the first thing I need to do is find the box with all the keys

and I have failed miserably

I think I have checked all the bathrooms/latrines, kitchen and food store, dining room and all the bedrooms

so I will need a hint

Re the carpet - I tried it again and it works as it should

I must have gone into the alcove without realising what it did

Edited by Oldjim

I will wait for the updated version and then play it on hardest -

of course the first thing I need to do is find the box with all the keys

and I have failed miserably

I think I have checked all the bathrooms/latrines, kitchen and food store, dining room and all the bedrooms

so I will need a hint

Re the carpet - I tried it again and it works as it should

I must have gone into the alcove without realising what it did

What exactly do you want hinted? Where all the keys are?

Art room key

On the dead maid in the library.

Master bed room key

On the floor by the door to the conservatory among some coins.

Trophy room key

Nonexistant, the door opens when you've located the thief and return to the corridor outside the trophy room.

Tea room key

On the wall in the kitchen.

Conservatory key

In the freezer.

The hidden hatch key.

On Cromwells headless body in the study.

Welly well.

Back to play some TDM after a while.

Interesting mission.

Halloween:

The halloween theme is solid. Full score for that. I'm a bit jaded to horror themes due to my own preference in the topic, but you made me jump a few times. I admit that.

I simply loved the self-playing piano. The tune it played fit perfectly the overall theme of the mission.

I also enjoyed small details like the paintings falling off, or paintings with red eyes.

Gameplay:

The gameplay was the innocent sheep that was brutally sacrificed for the story and the halloween theme. The overall structure of the mission was "a keyhunt." It goes like this:

1) Wander around without much information where to go or many means to make any intelligent decisions where to go.

2) Pick up keys.

3) Try the keys on all the doors. You try to pick all the doors, some will open some will not. There is no clear explanation why some doors are pickable and some doors not. It is obvious it is just the mapper controlling the player progress, not some plot-technical-necessity.

4) if door opens, enter room.

5) GOTO 1 UNTIL "Mission Complete"

This is bad design in my opinion and should be avoided. I'm glad I was given some maps of the mansion, but that was rather in the end part. I could've enjoyed having those maps from the very beginning.

I was irritated witless by these things. They almost made me just quit the mission and never return.

*Hunt the thief down, *clomp clomp clomp*, nothing to be seen, choose an arbitrary direction and run there, mission failed.

*Haunts dealing damage when they are unseen. I stand somewhere. Nothing seen nor heard. Bang, I take damage without any reason. Ghost appears through a wall next to me.

In the end, I was glad I did not quit. The mission turned out to be alright once you knew to actively ignore the annoyance the two cases mentioned above caused.

Few questions emerged:

Why did the main character bother about stealing gold to frame a burglary when everyone else in the house was decapitated? Why was the player spared? Why was the culprit, after brutally butchering everyone, standing and whistling in the conservatory?

Appearance:

Okay looking. Not brilliant but not bad. 3 stars. Plus one for the cool effects like falling paintings. That makes four.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I Love spooky missions :) Zombies, not so much...

I do have a problem though. When I chase the other thief I follow him/her down the stairs, through the dining hall, but when I get to the lobby (behind the grand staircases) I see the footprints going under the door, but the door is locked. How can I follow the thief then??

(Not on my machine, In Europé, but it works excellent )

My hobby built desktop is: XFX Play Hard-nVidia nForce 790i Ultra SLI

Onboard is:

CPU: Intel Socket 775

VGA: nVidia GeForce EVGA GTX-260

RAM: DDRIII 16Gb

HDD: 2 Tb

All service packs and latest drivers installed.

I Love spooky missions :) Zombies, not so much...

I do have a problem though. When I chase the other thief I follow him/her down the stairs, through the dining hall, but when I get to the lobby (behind the grand staircases) I see the footprints going under the door, but the door is locked. How can I follow the thief then??

Right where the footprints start, there is a tipped over barrel and a purse on the ground. Look there.