The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: A Night To Remember by Fieldmedic (2011/10/30)

DeTeEff

41 members have voted

1. 1. Halloween element, Storytelling and consistency

2. 2. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, etc. Versus Bugs. Frustration. Boredom, framelag...

3. 3. Aesthetics: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, Audio use, mood...

Ok Guys I thought i would give my opinion as well. Well First a little about me. Im a new TDM player but played through all of Thief Gold and a good bit of Thief 2 The Metal Age and Thief 3. Now onto the mission. This was my second mission the first being the Tears of St Lucia. So i dont have a lot of knowledge on the quality of Missions out there although from reading these forums 'A Night To Remember' is generally held in good regard. Ok where to start. I have lots too say :D Ok i found the concepts of no guards etc a bit unusual, but had not realised that the Mission had been for a Halloween competition. I found the mansion to be a little restrictive at first. In some ways I understand why,forcing the player, to trigger scripted events, for example. I liked the archatecture , the curved stair case, the balconies, the tall windows , the use of textures although i think that the floorboards could have been scaled down a little. I didnt like the outside, but now know that time was a huge limiting factor ! I think the Manor lacked something. Perhaps the author had plans for a more expansive building but ran out of time. The main hall is enormous compared to the rest of the manor. Some of the rooms were beautifully done while others less so. Again time i guess. Over all a good achievement in 1 1/2 month. I liked the problem solving aspect to the gme but did dislike the two levers. Ok the one in the bedroom may have been noticed and its purpose realised but the other i totally failed to notice and even if i did i may not have realised what it was for. As it is this is the two things i needed to look up and get help with. I agree with a previous comment concerning the piano. Ok it provides a bit of atmosphere, who or what is playing the piano, but its volume is way WAY WAYYYYYY too loud. I think a lot of the music is TBH as when you move from one area into anotheer the music from the fist cuts off and bam your into a new sound file. Never having done a map I would have no idea how to do this as it is never mind have the music fade as one approaced a door or new area or if this is even possiable. Again time though ! I loved the marble floor of the min hall btw the textures are ammazing compared to T1 and 2. I also failed the mission for running the wrong way ! I only did this a couple of times before thryig the other way but the sound file sounded like footsteps on stairs ! and not on carpet. The most hated part of the game for me was not the trap itself but the trap loction! It must have taken me 20 tries anyway before i stumbled on a solution in the library of all places. Ok i dont know how to do spoilers so lookk away now if you havent played this mission or bit yet.

Basically as soon as i entered the floor space to get access to the chest a ghost was killing me, I looked downstairs and tryed to time my theft to coincide with 'his' patrol but laterly i gave up. Later i was in the library and i noticed that icaused the the female ghost to run away. Curious i thought. I moved to another part of the that wing only to observe her return with his ghost in tow ! I think she runs off to get help! I then spent ages trying to tigger this , luring him away from his patrol but still ended getting killed by a servant ghost, i think in the toilet. VERY FRUSTRATING and enjoyment spoiling for me ! This mission has huge potential, and although the competiton is over perhaps the author should revisit it and make a MkII correcting its flaws and adding to the areas that are currently lacking.

The maps are a usefull touch but could have been helpfull nearer the start and OMG the compass / direction inconsistance really is a huge oversight that im suprissed the beta testerrs didnt spot. Im still not sure what is the east wing or where there storage room is :D

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably the mission that got me to download DarkMod as I saw a short 5 minute youtube clip of it. Still IMO the best overall mission I've played, as well, though I haven't played too many of them yet.

Anyway I played it for a 2nd time under the new 2.01 patch and now ghosts have hair but still no heads. I don't know if that's "scarier" or not. Just wanted to post about it.

• 2 weeks later...

1-2 years ago I stopped to play the Dark Mod, because I hated this FM. It was a very strange and different FM from the regulars and it was too much for me then. Now I play again all FMs in order of their release date and I think that this FM is one of my favourte! Congratulations! :)))

This is the second map where I found every loot, but to be honest I also didn't find that

lever for the pic-room

Thanks for the forum-help.

I also found that strange bug: The walking ghosts kept their hairs, their head and face missing only. So their hair is in the air:) It came from the new game versions? (I played it with TDM 2,01)

Edited by Giskard_hun

• 1 month later...

Played it half-a-year ago and now decided to test some things. No update science then and trap door is still not working. And without loot from it its impossible to complete mission on hardest level...

Edited by vorob

I've only played the mission under 2.0 and 2.01 and it worked fine. Maybe delete the mission directory and redownload the mission?

Edit: Seems the other trigger is stepping into the master bedroom's bathroom with the dead body. Just tested this.

Edited by GUFF

I've backed out from TDM for the time being. Too busy with theatre and other stuff but when I find some time, I'll check out these alleged errors...

The missing face seems to be related to old skins or something. IIRC a lot of the AI and corpses are supposed to be decapitated and this was achieved by creating a custom skin with nodraw for the head...

• 1 month later...

First, mad props for trying something wholly different from most TDM and Thief missions. That alone makes this an interesting level.

The ambiance, atmosphere, and visuals all go together excellently. The thunder outside gave me chills.

And the ghost AI and damage model is a novel concept that I’d love to see implemented elsewhere. This level used no other enemy types (minus the assassin), but I think they’d be even better as a compliment to other “horror” levels. The fact that they can path through walls adds an extra element of tension when you’re trying to loot something or pick a lock before they arrive.

I experienced some minor bugs with AI pathing and textures/skins, but nothing worrisome.

One big gripe was the chase sequence. Others have mentioned it, but I had no idea where to go and had to do trial and error for at least a dozen attempts. And the lockpicks were too cleverly hidden. I was so focused on the actual chase that when I got to the locked door, it left me baffled for far too long. So while the minimalism of the level is appreciated, and is a big part of what makes it unique, those couple elements proved to be the lone setbacks for me.

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

• 7 months later...

This mission gave me the creeps, and tha't not meant as a bad thing :)

Unfortunately, I ran into an similar issue as with Lords and Legacy...

As soon as I kill the priest, all ghosts go on full alert, actively searching and chasing me. Not yet having met the loot objective, this basically broke the game for me. Is this intentionally, to be in that order? Collect loot, kill the priest and hightail out of there?

Or is it some issue with older missions and DM2.2?

• 2 months later...

I just tried this mission again and it does seem to still be glitchy after the 2.03 update, which is too bad. As well as the bugged faces and heads that others mentioned, it seems that the ghosts don't start their patrol routes when they're supposed to. They just stand there at their spawn points, making some rooms totally inaccessible because of their AoE damage effect. Hopefully Fieldmedic can find the time to fix this mission, because it's worth it.

I can also confirm that 2.03 screws with this mission, same issues as Morat describes. I can handle the bugged faces and heads but the ghosts bugging out on their patrol routes causes significant issues. For example - unless you enable god mode as a workaround, it's impossible to get to the butler's room without dying since a ghost is stuck right there. This means you can't get the butler's diary, which means you can't gain access to the trapdoor in the main bedroom (the carpet isn't rolled back unless the diary is read at the new objective is added), which means you can't get the extra loot, which I believe makes the Expert difficulty level impossible to finish due to insufficient loot.

• 2 years later...

Morning

I'm working on fixing all the bugs in this mission, namely the ghosts not having skins and not patrolling.

I have already a number of mapping bugs so will be starting a beta thread -

- http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19376-fan-mission-a-night-to-remember-beta/

So Im asking for some voulenteers to test the mission before the FM page/mirror is updated etc.

^_^

Edited by Bikerdude

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/18/2014 at 9:30 AM, vorob said:

No, its not working :(

UtzvLmNmtjA.jpg

And i also have this bug:

s6XxCj44qDg.jpg

Tested once again, now it works properly!

Some other things: 

https://youtu.be/pNnNY5ipQYE

Badly placed light: https://sun9-10.userapi.com/c857616/v857616467/14e88b/OzJsJjonxSg.jpg

Hole in the model: https://sun9-61.userapi.com/c857616/v857616467/14e89f/G00rP3QHzHk.jpg

Transparent wood holes: https://sun9-9.userapi.com/c857616/v857616467/14e8a9/kAKjfbcrRCo.jpg

Bight non-lit lightern: https://sun9-48.userapi.com/c857616/v857616467/14e8b3/V-ATT6R98Jk.jpg