The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission:Dragon's Claw by b1k3rdude (31/10/2011) updated

Bikerdude

Finally got around to playing this mission. Just thought I'd mention that I also had not only the mini freeze issues at several points, but the big freeze at the tavern where everything went down to a slideshow and the mission is unplayable. I know for a fact it started as soon as I opened the door, not when I turned the corner after getting in the pub. The strange thing is, I reloaded a save, came back and had no problems whatsoever. BIker, you know my specs as you built my system, but as a reminder I'm running a triple core AMD with 4 GB ram and a Radeon 4890, so I don't think the freeze is hardware related.

Re: the level itself, I loved the concept of the plague ward (as TDM's version of Thief's Old Quarter or even TDS' version of The Cradle), but it was missing something. I think the Old Quarter/Cradle were more of a maze and there was a challenge in navigating due to the collapsed or closed areas and whatnot, and that was missing in the plague ward. For a supposedly dangerous place, it was just too easy to get around and not very threatening. Huge potential there though, look forward to the fixes in V2.

Well, count me out of the loop! I guess running around pre-holidays as a family man kept me from TDM for too long. Missed the contest, but finally had a chance to download TWO updates and a slew of FMs.

My copy of Dragon's Claw, unfortunately, did more than have a few seconds of freezing in the Plague Ward... it became almost CTRL-ALT-DEL system crash unplayable. I'm still trying to get through there. :(

I would like to give an offering to b1k3rdud, though; The architecture is some of the best I've seen in a FM. Great feel to the streets; it actually feels like a you are in a fairly large section of an even more massive city. Nice use of building height, modeling and texture work. I know its a speed build and all, but really would love to see some opening doors/windows, side objectives, etc. As it was, I really enjoyed what I could run. I enjoy missions with a lot of action but also with exploration and story. To me it was less scary but more eerie, and in some places it was sad. Overall, I really enjoyed it. I would love to see you expand this FM or even split it in two and make a detailed mission with the city portion.

Really nice work!

207115_1788633687853_1599901965_31729336_1424191_n.jpg

• 2 months later...

Tried to give it a run through and sounds like others were having same issue, freezing at the pub. Basically a complete lock up for me 4-5 times, even after a quick load right in front of pub :(

Was hoping to get some taffin in this weekend but my HD issues killed that.

One thing that would be nice in an update (other than doing something about the pub) would be a load screen. Several times I alt-tabbed out because I thought it was freezing up (have had issues with that tonight... turned out to be Catalyst-vsynch issues but I thought it was coming back).

With no pic, no load bar, no sound... Seemed like the menu was hanging.

Also noticed that the objectives are: loot:on expert, loot on medium... Must've not had time to fill in the blanks?

----------

took a quick peek and the only thing I could see doing to the pub would be closing the window between the door an pub. Looks cool (in editor at least)but you open the door and everything hits you at once. With that gone it would cut down from that sudden impact a bit. I was locking up as soon as I frobbed the door handle .

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I am helping Springheel as he is updating the mission to the latest version of TDM, as it is, the map was still using a lot of very old resource etc.

And I am maing a small update to BaU because I have not been given a spanish translation for it and I thought I would fix all the other little bugs while I was at it.

• 2 months later...

My comments (in no particular order):

Liked the non-hostile ghosts; some back-story about who they were and why they were still around (with maybe an optional objective on releasing them from ghosthood?) would be great. I did whack one with my sword a couple of times which seemed to harm it, but as it wasn't harming me I didn't hit him (her?) any more.

The little girl story was excellent; again, huge scope for development, with maybe an objective for releasing the area from the curse - ? (Dunno whether Dewdrop could be incorporated into this somehow.) (BYW, you're probably way ahead of me on developing the back stories; I just offer them as my 2¢ :smile: .)

Thought the architecture was excellent, especially in the city.

I had my usual fun of luring undead into areas where I can whack them but they can't whack me (unless I misjudge it), and of course my usual edge-of-the-void exploring (this was the highest I seemed able to get):

Didn't understand why the guards in the tavern didn't attack me but the guards near the canal did. At first I thought it was because it was the guarded entrance to the plague ward, but after over half-an-hour of trying to find a way past, I gave up and trotted back to the square where I discovered the proper route.

The readables in the chapel need proof-reading (especially the diary on the pew).

The only major freeze I got was at the door of the room with the sitting-down ghost, but if I went through the window it wasn't a problem. There was a slight freeze at the door of another room that looked like the door was partly open into The Void, but it turned into a room when I got closer (although there wasn't anywhere to go from there that I could see).

Overall assessment: this FM has huge potential that IMHO is about 20-30% realised in its current form.

Overall assessment: this FM has huge potential that IMHO is about 20-30% realised in its current form.

I knew this when I released it and its pretty much what everyone else has said. I will probably do my useal "update one of my FMs to the next version etc" or I may do as my unofficial mentor (Melan) says and incorporate the resources from this mission into another.

• 2 months later...

Well great job of making TDM looking like crap and making yourself look like an amature at making playthroughs. How hard would it have been to post on the forum that you had light issues so you could get them resolved before finalising your playthrough?

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Well great job of making TDM looking like crap and making yourself look like an amature at making playthroughs. How hard would it have been to post on the forum that you had light issues so you could get them resolved before finalising your playthrough?

That's a bit harsh, I'm sure it was just a genuine mistake in his part.

Ive commented on his vid, asking him to nuke and redo the review. Looks like he has a corrupted .pk4 file.

I wasn't the one doing the playthrough.

This isn't a known TDM bug. Bikerdude says it is a PK4 corruption issue and the only way to prevent that from ruining games would be to have TDM check the integrity of the PK4s at startup, which nobody would want. It would take forever to generate the md5s/sha1s.

He really should give this mission another play though and delete this vid. He seemed to be enjoying it.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

@ lost_soul - I was refering to demon frog even though he probably won't read this. I know you didn't make the playthrough. You just posted it here. Sorry about the confusion.

@ biker - harsh maybe. I just think that if your going to make a playthrough of someone's FM you have a responsibility to show it in the best light possible. Especially when that person is doing it for free and in thier spare time. I think it's the respectable thing to do.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

• 2 months later...
Are the lights in that mission a part of the core mod or are they packaged as part of the FM?

I made them for the mission specifically.

A very cool playground. I'm awaiting a future release with something to do in it

Yeah I will be doing an uodate for it at some point, if i had the time I would have liked ot get it down for Halloween.

• 3 weeks later...

I did the German translation of this mission before playing it and really liked the story.

I was curious how the actual mission looks and from what I saw until now, it is really good. Sadly, I was not able to complete it and I hence didn't vote, yet.

While the tavern works fine for me, and also the tavern square only shows some slowdowns, everything freezes on the way back from the plagueward exactly when I exit the tunnel under the dragon saute. I.e., I see parts of the dragon, parts of the ladder, parts of the sky, then everything stops.

Any ideas for a fix?

Edited by Keiler

• 1 month later...