The Dark Mod Forums

Which "genre" of TDM missions do you hope to see more of?

Glyph Seeker

I don't care much about genre, but I want to see more missions with a strong storyline, and a sense that I'm intruding into the lives of real people. I find that I get bored pretty quickly with missions that don't provide me with any motivation for my Objectives, and that don't have any readables or visual storytelling.

I can only second that! That's why I allways prefer "real room" missions (aka Mansion) like the bank or the thieves highway, as opposed to "cave" or horror missions. I like to play a good horror mission as well, but on the total I prefer the non-horror ones. :D

Gerhard

If I ever get back to it, and away from my cave mission for the novice campaign (among other dabblings with random contributions), I have fairly nice progress on a medium-to-large scale classic mansion-style mission to complete.

I'm quite sure there's a few other mansion missions just around the corner as well ;)

• Like 1

Cave mission?

Looking forward to it, Ungoliant. =3

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Ooh - daylight interior missions are something I am interested in...

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the details. This is as I remember it, and I asked about it now to see if you had extended the idea in any way.

I have a half-dozen AI already patrolling slightly variable routes, but I have a "green room" full of AI waiting in the wings, and I was beginning to get hard pressed to think about where I wanted them to stand or patrol. A dendritic network might just be the answer.

Thanks again.

@grayman:

I just figured out how to improve further the dendritic network concept. I thought you might be interested. This time it is about how to make individual AI seem to do Random Interesting Things (RIT) when entering a room. Note that it will work with basic dendritic AI, so you could have multiple AI's running in several rooms doing things.

1) Build a room with RITs. A statue. A few chairs. Maybe a lit fireplace.

2) On each RIT place the necessary interaction path_nodes to make an AI interact with them. path_sit on each of the chairs. path_anims for warming hands at the fireplace and standing in front of the statue and pondering.

3) Place two path_waits on the ceiling of the room. (They could be anywhere in the room, but it is easiest to manage if they are in the ceiling.)

4) Name one of the path_waits "enter_room_decide_what_to_do." Make that path_wait to target each of the RIT path_corners. Set the path_wait "wait 0.00001." The idea is to use the path_wait as a simple decision making node.

5) Name the other path_wait "exit_room_decide_what_to_do." Make each RIT final path_node to target this path_wait. Make the path_wait to target other rooms with similar decision making path_waits.

6) Done.

This could be used to make servants to run around a mansion, cleaning, making food, taking sitting breaks, visit the toilet, etc. You could build room decision making network separately for different AI. Servants clean, cook and take breaks. Guards patrol, make random deviations once in a while, and of course take breaks. Controlling the RIT path_corner chance-spawnarg gives you control what RITs the AI do more likely.

Just though you might be interested... Anyone else interested in more dynamic patrols can also grab this idea. After brief testing, I'm definately gonna use this in my upcoming mission!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Just though you might be interested... Anyone else interested in more dynamic patrols can also grab this idea. After brief testing, I'm definately gonna use this in my upcoming mission!

I've used the same concept (though not with so many different options) before and it works fine.

I'll add this to the wiki article on pathnodes, it's good stuff.

Wow - thanks Sotha! That's the kind of thing to make a mansion / large building feel "lived in".

@grayman:

I just figured out how to improve further the dendritic network concept. I thought you might be interested. ...

Excellent idea, using the path_waits.

So far the dendritic I've created for a few AI is working quite well. I have them sitting, napping, turning book pages, gazing at fires, warming hands, eating carrots, etc.

So far so good.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I love missions where its a estate with just the sole intention of looting a battling guards in marble corridors. My favorite by far are undead missions with hammer haunts. Hammer haunts are by far one of the most disturbing things Ive ever seen a game. Not because of their appearance, but because of the SOUNDS they make and their borderline sentient behavior. You really feel like your fighting a "shell" of a person.

The only limits your imagination has are the ones you set.