The Dark Mod Forums

Doom3 GPL Source Release has landed

rebb

Yeah, I saw some more of the "Interaction Table" sizing code but it's spread out into several files and looks dynamic so there's no magic bullet to force a new overflow limit. Somewhere in the algorithm there must be a way to keep that table bigger though...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hahaa, the image loading is exactly as I thought it'd be... oh god. Shouldn't be a problem to add 3Dc/ATI2/DXN support, and with the DTXn patent being either invalid(Apple vs HTC fallout, tho untested) or gpl-friendly (HTC is part of that linux patent friendly group iirc) it may even work well enough outside of windows in the near future (outside of horrible binary blobs) :V

And strangely enough a friend who wants to help with TDM performance and such decided to set up a dev environment a few hours before release, so he should come in a bit more handy now... or at least he'll have fun profiling useless crap (I know you'll read this - get busy).

A good day! :)

Someone needs to build an executable ASAP so we can see if the performance went up or down :D

I think someone just compiled it... unless I'm misunderstanding this reply:

http://games.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=2539812&cid=38144420

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hahaa, the image loading is exactly as I thought it'd be... oh god. Shouldn't be a problem to add 3Dc/ATI2/DXN support, and with the DTXn patent being either invalid(Apple vs HTC fallout, tho untested) or gpl-friendly (HTC is part of that linux patent friendly group iirc) it may even work well enough outside of windows in the near future (outside of horrible binary blobs) :V

First time accepted submitter boley1 writes "According to Cnet — S3 Graphics's case collapsed in their ITC suit, with the ITC ruling that Apple does not infringe on any of S3's patents. A big blow to HTC according to the report." So much for HTC buying a warchest; according to the ruling it looks like AMD/ATI actually owned the patents in question.

AMD asserted that. It wasn't decided.

Welcome to AMERICA!

(let's just put the server outside it).

Edited by i30817

Hmmm...

# CPU type
cpu = commands.getoutput('uname -m')
exp = re.compile('.*i?86.*')
if exp.match(cpu):
cpu = 'x86'
else:
cpu = commands.getoutput('uname -p')
if ( cpu == 'powerpc' ):
 cpu = 'ppc'
else:
 cpu = 'cpu'
g_os = 'Linux'
# end system detection ---------------------------

... x86, ppc and generic cpu... thinking of the possibility of x86_64 and multi-core processor support as well. Then could AI be handled by a separate core, and physics by yet another?

And should linux compilation be done by scons, or should that be replaced by cmake maybe?

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I compiled it on Debian. Doom 3 works great, but TDM not so much. TDM loads up (St. Alban's Cathedral). I was able to walk around and stuff. I didn't find any guards. The game hard locked though when I pressed exc to bring up the menu.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Mmmm: http://www.tomshardw...ml#xtor=RSS-181

During DOOM 3's development, Carmack independently discovered and publicized a shading process later dubbed as "Carmack's Reverse," but Creative Labs had already filed for a patent on the technique back in 1999. Carmack said he created a separate shading method that got around the patent issues, but that meant a significant "speed hit" in DOOM 3's performance. Thus, the studio had no choice but to license the "depth fail" patent from Creative and move on.

"The Doom 3 GPL source code release does not include functionality enabling rendering of stencil shadows via the 'depth fail' method, a functionality commonly known as 'Carmack's Reverse,'" states the source code notes.

So there's the old performance issue Carmack talked about?

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.