The Dark Mod Forums

Doom3 GPL Source Release has landed

rebb

Yeah, you're right! In my eyes it's unbelievable that the AI of a modification becomes even smarter than the original game (Thief) - it's like a dream come true *dances naked in the wind* :D

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Not really. I've seen fan-made AI that is superior to the official AI in some games. The players know what they want in an opponent, and (given the coding skill) they can create it.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I recently tested the new AI features and I must say it's amazing! They became more lifelike and intelligent after all. So that the open source code now provides many new possibilities to work on (for the AI e.g.) I don't understand why it's so important for everyone to be able to play The Dark Mod without having Doom3 installed (?) :blink:

Well, it's no priority of course, but I think it would help attract some new blood. Some of the people I've mentioned the mod too seem to dislike it being tied to Doom 3 as they don't own or care for that game, me included actually.

Not really. I've seen fan-made AI that is superior to the official AI in some games. The players know what they want in an opponent, and (given the coding skill) they can create it.

Well, TDM AI is far superior to the AI in Doom3 - but then, this is not actually hard to achive :P OTOH, the AI in TDM is one of the most sophisticated ones - they display quite a lot of behaviours instead of relying on scripted sequences, or hard-coded maneuvers etc.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Sorry I did express myself wrong. I mean that I couldn't imagine that the AI of any mod would be smarter than the original AI from the Thief games. But thats now the case and I love it B)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

The AI in the original Thief games were limited by the average processing power of the time. TDM AI can afford to "think" about more things because computers are faster, and the original Thief AI had to take more "shortcuts". (You can actually compare the two because the source code is now available for both games). It's not a knock against the LGS team; just different circumstances. Also we have the advantage of continually making our AI better each new version, which the original games didn't have the luxury of doing.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

So it seems that MH has not improved performance over the closed build of Doom 3 but instead only regained some of the lost performance... Privately, he has used a GL intercept to collect the famous Carmack's Reverse and that build runs at full speed. :(

The way forward (other than holding up the middle-finger to Creative and distributing the "reverse" ) is either GPU based or Shadow Maps (though... there was another legendary algorithm from some MIT student aeons ago... probably patented too by now...).

I am now pending the results a wager I have placed for myself:

MH is claiming "amazing" Normal Map quality due to his new decode algorithm. I think he may have unwittingly reduced the quality by removing the red\alpha flip in the the normal map decode and now has restored the precision via brute force... Let's see if he verifies or denies this theory so I can either gloat or shrink in shame :laugh:

http://mhquake.blogspot.com/2011/11/comparison-shots.html

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Not that I've seen... but in the same thread as MH another developer has begun a rough GLSL backend. So the game's afoot..

I won't get excited until someone has a Deferred Renderer (or something demonstrably equivalent) ... (barring my Holy Grail of seeing how well the GPU fares at shadow volume creation... )

Yeah... But Tr3b over at Doom3world has already outlined his plan to do this.

(Both BRINK and Wolfenstein 2009 have deferred renderers on Id Tech 4... )

Not sure... Though a hybrid approach could be to allow multiple projection and falloff images per light volume. Those passes could use a deferred approach then the volumes would be summed as usual. Kinda hierarchical... Since each projection can have positional offsets you could potentially even render the whole scene with one large volume but that would be pretty hacky. This hybrid approach would still be better than the current situation.

I think I've found one of my Holy Grails!

This PDF by ATI says that DX9 hardware can do DX10 style rendering using Render to Vertex Buffer (R2VB).

It even has a code example for dynamic shadow volume extrusion!

http://www.csee.umbc.edu/~olano/s2006c03/scheuermann.pdf

Sorry for the offtopic, but I have a question: is it possible to recreate in TDM the haze effect we saw in Severance: Blade of Darkness, without significant performance impact? I love BoD for more than ten years, and I admired the game in a whole and its lighting system particularly. The haze effect in BoD makes me believe in the picture I see on my PC's screen when I play this game. It's just wonderful!

Sorry for the offtopic, but I have a question: is it possible to recreate in TDM the haze effect we saw in Severance: Blade of Darkness, without significant performance impact? I love BoD for more than ten years, and I admired the game in a whole and its lighting system particularly. The haze effect in BoD makes me believe in the picture I see on my PC's screen when I play this game. It's just wonderful!

light using fog texture?

You must be talking about the BOD fog effect, is a relatively simple effect and i believe idtech 4 already does that, about the lighting yes is funny that doom3 is praised has the father of real time unified lighting but in 2001 Severance already add totally dynamic volumetric lighting and shadows has also real time physics, and this game was made by a defunct Spanish company RebelAct, some of the developers worked on Jericho and Dante's Inferno.

By the way if you don't know already there's a English modding forum for BOD here go there and say hi. :)

Found another old ATI demo (for DX8 hardware this time) that shows Stencil Shadow volumes done almost entirely on the GPU.

It appears to use some pre-compution index buffer trick. Thus, as I fathom, it claims to negate the need to create new polys at runtime.

The catch?

While the lights are dynamic, and the objects are moving, the objects are not "animating". So this could be used to speed-up scenarios where

dynamic lights are cast on movables in motion (eg: falling rocks, candles, etc) but would not per se be applicable to AI, or other animated objects.

The Read Me claims the technique "can be extended to animated objects" but does not elaborate further.

The demo screams on the Intel Integrated Graphics here at work :laugh:

http://developer.amd.com/Downloads/RadeonShadowShader.zip

Still on the hunt for the original R2VB DX9 Shadow Volume demo and and OpenGL version...

Thus far I believe I've re-learned that PBO or FBO allows the same functionality in OpenGL as R2VB.

OK... I read another paper that explains this demo better.

Essentially you are stretching any back-facing polygons into a shadow volume using the Vertex shader...

So it could work for animated objects but it would require some fancy evaluation footwork...