The Dark Mod Forums

TDM Beginners Contest

Sir Taffsalot

Welcome aboard - but not nearly large enough! :) Hopefully people will keep coming, and I suspect the fun part will start soon, when people get a bit more advanced on the geometry part and come back here to discuss how to add some interesting stuff to the missions.

I wonder if someone agrees to do look over my map when I'm done with the basic brush building. I would do the exchange and discussions via PM, because it wouldn't make sense to upload it for everyone to see already (guess that would reduce the fun because of the "oh I have seen this all before during beta" - effect).

Guess I'll finish the brush work over christmas / new year and just want someone to have a look over it before I do the lightning, entities, etc....

Hope that's not asked too much. :blush:

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Hehe, you're new to the forums but yet warning me about Shadowhide :laugh: I think it's enough to send it to only one user for review. So in that case the first one wins. But maybe two opinions are better. So why not sending it to both..? Hm we'll see - I'm curious anyway :blush:

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Heh, I really need to start working on my map again.. Christmas/AC:Revelations/R.U.S.E/MWLL/C&C3 has been taking too much of my time lately

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Half an hour to an hour a day should get most of the geometry done by the time the contest is nearing the final few weeks... (hopefully)

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Isn't it a bit early to say that? :D

Maybe unless a miracle happens, but I've just got this dejected feeling right now that either I wont be able to find employment in time before rent money runs out (which is not long), or will never escape the indentured servitude machine of corporate shitheads that pay a pittance for the privelige of helping them further fuck the rest of my fellow Americans up the ass. The system is designed to repress me from advancing myself, and does a really good fucking job. Hell, I already have an A.A.S degree, for all the shit-ton of help that's given me to tread fuckin water. Doesn't help that there's thousands of local competitors all trying to climb out of the poverty pit at the same time. *sigh*, some days, I just don't know...

post-8474-0-80821100-1325611434_thumb.jpg

post-8474-0-17178700-1325611464_thumb.jpg

post-8474-0-38712000-1325611447_thumb.jpg

Regarding the importance of concept drawings before actual mapping, I thought I should share some of my own here, and assure anyone feeling the same that I am utterly unable to create anything directly on a computer, I find that it takes me a LOT more time to come up with stuff on the fly, and they generally lack any sense of direction, simply because there was no planning. I would again suggest anyone having trouble creating shape like that to take some time to sketch your ideas freely on a piece of paper, it gets much easier then to register, by trial and error, that feeling you wanted; putting it into DR afterwards is a much simpler and faster task. At least, thats how it always work for me.

• Like 2

I like the concept drawings. :) Mine are cruder, but I also make them.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved