The Dark Mod Forums

TDM Beginners Contest

Sir Taffsalot

I think of joining the competition as well, but I would have to wait until the 10th of February to begin because of university exams. In addition I have to admit, that I have zero experience with the TDM editor (lol, I even don't know its name), but back in the days I had a lot of fun building maps with the valve hammer editor for HL1 and CS. Are these two editors comparable and do you guys think that it's possible to finish a map in 2 months starting from scratch?

2 months is more than enough time for a small mission, especially if you have already worked with such a kind of editor. DarkRadiant (The TDM Editor) is like Hammer a standard 3d editor, therefore using it is quite similar. Handling (camera, selecting brushes etc.) is sometimes different, but you can see it from the first 2 pages of the Beginners tutorial. DR has even some advantages, like already a big database of models you can place + some other nice features ("patches" which let you create easily uneven surfaces or more complicated things like arches with just a few clicks).

So go for it. ;P

Edited by jysk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, I presume that everyone is busy working on their missions (no drop outs so far! :) ), but it's been a bit quiet around here, I wonder how is everyone doing? Myself, I would say my mission is going along well, I've laid out in reasonable detail 3/4 of the map (still have to create the climax area though, which wont be that easy), most of the work has gone into the architecture (buildings, details and texture work). There's no work yet on AI paths, but most of them will be about linear or stationary obstacles, very little in the way of circular paths, so I think I wont have too much trouble on that department.

I will try posting some non-spoiling pics soon, but mostly I would like to hear how is everyone doing so far, it would also be a good time to discuss problems and solutions, ask for ideas, etc., if anyone is having difficulties.

Edited by RPGista

I've laid out the rough geometry for about 2/3 of it, need to finish that up then create the areas of interest, then detail/ai passes.

Speaking of which, haven't really touched it for 10 or so days, when is the deadline again?

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

SeriousToni asked me to look at his map a few weeks ago when he had completed all the brush work. He just needs to add the AI and furnish the buildings so I assume he's still in considering all the ground work is done.

Jay Pettitt has a blog about his map somewhere. The last time I read it he had everything planned out and was ready to go.

Brethren was very enthusiastic especially considering his attempt to start a newbie campaign didn't work out. But as he already has some TDM experience I would assume that this contest wouldn't be too much trouble.

the other guys are acolyte6, sixx and jysk.

Although I've never entered a TDM contest I would think it would be best to set a dead line a few weeks before the actual deadline not just for beta testing but in case any unexpected problems come up. As this contest is for newbies I would say that it's quite likely. Luckily there's lots of people here to help.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

I planned the beta test in the middle of march for only 2 or 3 people. I hope that's enough testers (?) Didn't want to show out too much before the release. I guess I can count Sir Taffsalot in for beta test.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Hey, everyone! Just discovered The Dark Mod last week, so it doesn't get much more noob than that. I know the contest started in December, but there's no harm in throwing my hat in the ring, even if I don't make anything too awesome by the deadline :)

Welcome! Good luck w/your first mission.

Hey, everyone! Just discovered The Dark Mod last week, so it doesn't get much more noob than that. I know the contest started in December, but there's no harm in throwing my hat in the ring, even if I don't make anything too awesome by the deadline :)

Welcome to the forums! I've added your name to the list of paricipants in the first post. If your stuck on anything then head over to the editors guild where you'll find the help you need. Best of luck!

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to beta test my mission in the next days.

If there are 2 or 3 people who have some experience with makin' FMs and the game itself they can come join the beta team. Please drop me a PM.

Sir Taffsalot I count you in ;)

post-3542-0-04324800-1329658921_thumb.jpg

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Hehe, yeah ^_^

Okay, I got one PM, Sir Taffsalot and Bikerdude. Hope that's enough for a beta test. We'll see.

As soon as I have the mission beta ready in the next few days, I'll send it to you and you can take your time to test it.

Thank you all for your help :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work man, but Im afraid Im going to need ALL the available time, still got some nice stuff to do and real life work has been going crazy... But if you want to release your map sooner, I dont think there's a problem? Would be nice to have them all released more or less at the same time so people can vote with a fresh appreciation of all of them, though. Would have to check with with the team members, not sure whats the procedure here.

The last content had people doing staggered releases, there's no reason why you can't do the same. If it's ready, and you want to release now, knowing full well when the others come out yours won't be fresh in the minds of the player, by all means go ahead.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080