The Dark Mod Forums

TDM Beginners Contest

Sir Taffsalot

Which is why the two entrants that got in inside the contest rules should be the ones eligible to win the contest.

This is the fairest thing to do.

I agree with that. But I've always thought the missions should be released together. The whole 'I'll release early' seems like a cheap shot at getting more attention personally.

Contests are about competition. They have a deadline because EVERYONE has to make that mark. If the contest is extended that's fine, but it should be done early enough that everyone gets and advantage from it (ie: if someone already finished then they aren't going to be using the time- not the same as finishing early-quite possibly they could have done but but didn't expect to be able to so they followed the rules).

And it's one thing to extend last minute a day or two, maybe even a week for testing if needed. But when it drags on...

I'm not trying to be a hard ass and it's not my contest to rule anyway. I just think you need to be fair to the people who actually completed the challenge in the given limits. Mappers should be ready to test probably several weeks before contest due date.

They can finish early and turn their entry in, but the promoter should do the releases all at once.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I like allowing participants to refine their missions until the late participants arrive. Even though that leads to messy contest

threads, the overall benefit is that the missions in the Mod database are that much more refined rather than mappers

putting-off the minor fixes for "some time in the future".

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

The "contest" was fucked up when 5 of 9 participants dropped out and only 2 released their mission in time. I am not really thinking in terms of a contest here (i anyway ignored the space constraints broadly :D), only of some released individual missions. Ofc bending a release deadline in a serious contest would have been something i would have disliked too (as its obv not very fair), but since with 2 entries the whole concept of a contest is neglected i really dont care of it. I am just happy to have my mission released and some people like it. ;P

Edited by jysk

I agree with what Baddcog says but as this is a beginners contest I want the rules to be more relaxed compared to the usual contests. I think the main priority of this contest is to encourage people to get into making FMs. So I'm fine with including RPGista in this contest.

Anyway they've all exceeded the 10 room limit. Techinacally their all disqualified :P

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Let's clear the air.

I presume we are adding RPGista's mission to the contest?

(It would be a paltry "contest" with only 2 entrants...)

Please confirm.

Thanks.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Not to be too negative but I would probably say forget about my mission. There seems to have been quite a bit of drama (wasnt really following the forums, mostly trying to get the mission released for the past week), a lot of people giving opinions... The joy factor is kind of gone if you ask me...

If we look back at the other contests that have been held (like the Halloween Contest or the Seasons Contest), their deadlines weren't set in stone as well. Also, since I'm giving away a Steam coupon for Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I want the winner to be the best one of the highest possible number of entries. Three entries is barely enough. I wish I had bought the coupon earlier, maybe that would have motivated some mappers to really go through with their mapping efforts.

That said, I just discovered that I have a Steam Coupon for Dirt 3 that came with my new graphics card. Dear contest winner, if you for some reason dislike DX3 enough to pass on that game, you are free to choose the car racing game.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

As far as I'm concerned the more the merrier. As SeriousToni and jysk have openly expressed they have no problem with RPGista being in the contest as far as I'm concerned he's still in.

SeriousToni and jysk should have the final say and if it works for them then it should be good with all. IMO. :smile:

My humble opinion :)

I thought the contest was merely an excuse to have more missions, much more than an actual competition. Is there some kind of prize? I imagine these missions will be showcased to advertise the mod and the mappers. My suggestion is to include all missions participating in the aforementioned presentation, but restrict the awards (even if it's just a prestige position in the list) to the ones who did it within the deadline.

In the future it might be interesting to make the rules more strict. Make it clear from the start that the deadlines are serious and if anyone fails to meet them will be out of the competition itself (but welcomed by the community blablabla). I personally think it's silly, really, but clearly people are different! this would probably avoid any awkwardness and feelings of unfairness that might be floating around.

Oh, and I was thinking that in the future contests we should add a note that the rules are not that strict. Let's give the deadline and say that two weeks of extra time is possible in special cases, but the mappers should aim at the main deadline.

Someone will always complain, were it mapper releasing too early or too late.. Some people are fast, some people are busy. This is a fun voluntary hobby, people contributing should always be rewarded rather than punished with strict rules.

Maybe next time we will just define the rules as accurately as possible, and make it clear that the mappers have certain amount of room to maneuver. Putting it on the table should remove the whining. Adding more strictness in any hobby is an effective way to eliminate the fun-factor.

• Like 2

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Sotha is right on this. We had an extension for previous contests. Why would it be a problem here?

(I know there is no 100% good way out of the situation, of course.)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Yes guys, I was not trying to imply that either Serioustony or Jysk were taking the idea the wrong way, just that there are a lot of opinions around and people seem to have strong feelings about this (seems inevitable in any sort of "competition", it seems). Like Diego, Sotha, Melan and others have said, its about the excuse to model and some PR material for the mod, really (the chance of a prize do not interest me, even if I could play modern games in my computer); the decision to include my mission would not be unanimous, and I know a lot of you guys mean really well, but lets just drop the idea altogether (and avoid any "unfair" comments later on, if by any chance I happen to not be the least voted one).

For PR reasons, and if Jysk and Serioustony are not against it, sure, "include" me in the news of the competition, but internally, let us ignore any ratings for my mission and place me atomatically in the last place, keeping the race among the two of them - I mean it as honest as can be, I'm not hurt or disappointed by this fact, I have no interest in winning anything, its about creating the mission and it was cool to be sharing the moment with these guys, the troubles, the doubts, and to release the work finnally. ;)

Edited by RPGista

For PR reasons, and if Jysk and Serioustony are not against it, sure, "include" me in the news of the competition, but internally, let us ignore any ratings for my mission and place me atomatically in the last place, keeping the race among the two of them - I mean it as honest as can be, I'm not hurt or disappointed by this fact, I have no interest in winning anything, its about creating the mission and it was cool to be sharing the moment with these guys, the troubles, the doubts, and to release the work finnally. ;)

If that's what you want then fine. Your in the contest but you default to last place. Everybody happy? Probably not but you can't please everyone.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

I really think RPGista's mission deserves to be in there, and accepted as an entry. Let's not be dicks about exact deadlines.

Oh, and I was thinking that in the future contests we should add a note that the rules are not that strict. Let's give the deadline and say that two weeks of extra time is possible in special cases, but the mappers should aim at the main deadline.

Someone will always complain, were it mapper releasing too early or too late.. Some people are fast, some people are busy. This is a fun voluntary hobby, people contributing should always be rewarded rather than punished with strict rules.

Maybe next time we will just define the rules as accurately as possible, and make it clear that the mappers have certain amount of room to maneuver. Putting it on the table should remove the whining. Adding more strictness in any hobby is an effective way to eliminate the fun-factor.

Sotha is right on this. We had an extension for previous contests. Why would it be a problem here?

What a gorgeous and fantastic bit of synchronicity! That the seeming fact that "Sotha is right on this" just happens to be in accordance with the very fact that he was just parroting you!

I love this world. It's indeed a wonderful world. Brings a tear to my eye, most often...

I see skies of blue and clouds of white

The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night

And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

:D