The Dark Mod Forums

TDM Beginners Contest

Sir Taffsalot

What a revelation! I have been undone by the sharp eyes and caustic wit of Aida. So much for my nefarious plans to... include an extra mission in the contest? :rolleyes:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

All the participants deserve LordSoth's Darkmod mugs. I don't mention this lightly :P

Seriously, I think we might all agree on that. I have not a penny to spare or an "agreeable*" way to get the money I don't have online if I did.

But if some system can be worked out wherein this New Fan Mission Authors Contest (xxxx-Annual Tradition!) might be run with this as a part of it, I'd be willing to listen and try a bit harder to get over the disagreeability of getting some dosh online. I bet you the coffers would fill and the only problem would be that they might fill up to much and ruin things the other way round.

*My problem with getting money online: Apparently I can't just send effing Paypal a money order? And be done with it? Gotta tie some CC to it? Or -- just as bad, if not worse -- my other option is to buy some "service fee" gouging nonsense from WalMart or some such as an alternative to PayPal? I tried once half-heartedly (see: "not a penny to spare" after all, really) to get some money stashed online and ended up NOT BOTHERING because it was sucha hassle...

What a gorgeous and fantastic bit of synchronicity! That the seeming fact that "Sotha is right on this" just happens to be in accordance with the very fact that he was just parroting you!

I wasn't parroting anyone. I was stating my personal view on things. If someone agrees with me, then great. My comment also provides a more detailed suggestion, so it entails new information, which parroting -in general- does not provide.

Your comment, on the other hand, brings nothing new. You detect and emphasize that Melan and I agree with each other's opinions in this matter, which surely is not a secret for anyone who can read. :laugh:

• Like 2

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

What a revelation! I have been undone by the sharp eyes and caustic wit of Aida. So much for my nefarious plans to... include an extra mission in the contest? :rolleyes:

Really it's Aida? It sounds like him always screaming conspiracy when people happen to disagree with him or have a different opinion. He was always very vocal over at moddb.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

1. Strict deadlines are for professional contests. A beginner contest was almost certain to see people dropping and not making the deadline. RPGista finished rather close so I don't see any reason not to include him. As has already been said, the goal was to get people to finally create Dark Mod missions, and for us players to see what beginners would be able to do.

2. I think every mission is the best regarding a different aspect: In my opinion, In rememberance of him is the most beautiful and detailed example of narrative-driven TDM gameplay to date, Sneak & Destroy is nothing more, nothing less than the distilled, short and small essence of Thief and Rightful Property showed everyone how awesome a large, living (but sleeping) city area can feel in The Dark Mod.

3. To conclude point 2, I do not think there is a clear winner among the three, and in all cases I do think they each deserve the first place award. I'd gladly donate some money if we can get a Dark Mod mug for all three entrants.

Edited by Briareos H

No need to argue about a week too early or too late!

9 people joined the contest.

6 guys dropped along the way.

But SeriousToni, Jysk and RPGista crossed the finishing line with their very first TDM map.

That is a huge achievement in itself !!!

And very fun and well done missions at that.

Forget about votes:

All three are Winners!

For me anyway. ...

• Like 2

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

But I don't want PayPal to have anything on me... not a CC; not a bank account; nothing aside from me sending them a money order which is as good as gold (I pay everything else in this world that way when I can't simply pay cash)... It just such a pain in the ass, every mutherfucking thing about the way the money-grubbing money-shifting money-lenders dictate the system.

Ya know?

Edited by BlueSkyBullet

I'll say this here instead of in the threads for each of the 3 FMs we have this contest to thank for (so far {still hoping to see one from Xarg? No? Eh?}):

There is some criticism going on and some opinions being expressed; and that's good stuff; just I would hope that the authors don't take it all to heart and "adjust" their design/style/approach, rather, to mission building. We certainly will not all like Raspberry Ripple or Rocky Road, but some of us will. So let's let the different authors provide us with different flavors.

• Like 1

To answer your question, I do still intend to release. I am however, taking some additional time to experiment with things. For example, I'm working on a moving, lootable magic lock (still in testing phase), since noone else bit in the thread it was mentioned in.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

• 4 weeks later...

The entries have been out for over a month now. Are the partipents happy to add up the results?

How do you add up the results btw?

I can count votes tonight if folks just want to see the results

ASAP?

As you've done this sort of thing before NB I'd be happy if you'd lend a hand. My maths is terrible.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

I think we should start adding up the votes and see where we stand. Once there is a total ill send the mug out ot the winner. As much as i would love to send out 3, it cost to get them made and then to send them to where ever so only the winner this time round will get one sorry about that like. Ill see about sending one to each next compo.

But glad we have got some mission out for this, ive played one and playing another now and one to go, All good so far.

Also ive Downloaded and install darkradiant Editor to and will be messing with it over next ffew weeks to see how easy/hard it is to make missions.

Here is the Scoring system which originated in the first Christmas Contest and has been used since that point:

Total Points = (gameplay * 3) + (Appearance * 2) + (Story * 1)

Max Possible = Total Votes * 5 (Outstanding)

Category Score (%) = Category Points /Max Possible * 100

Total Score (%) = Total Points /Total Max Possible * 100

The vote count was equal in all categories for everyone so:

TotalMaxPointsPoss (TMP) = AllCategoryVotecount(ACV) * 30

Full Weighted Score (FWS) = (Gamescore*3 + Visualscore*2 + Storyscore) / TMP

I will try to get the scores tabulated tonight unless someone beats me to it.

I will also create a wiki about the above.

:)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hehe, someone put a lot of thought into this, but Im not sure I understood something - gameplay has the same value as visual and story combined?

Jysk and Serioustony do not have the same number of voters (considerable difference) - accounted for Im sure?

Ha! This looks like I don't understand it! I'm not good at maths so I won't beat you nbohr.

gameplay has the same value as visual and story combined?

Jysk and Serioustony do not have the same number of voters

Since it is a game and not a movie or a book, yes. And as far as I understand it doesnt matter how many votes someone has, because it is percental of the votes.

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Well, unless your talking about pac man or tetris, then sure, its all about the "gameplay", but in this kind of game (TDM), I wouldnt even know how to separate each aspect of the experience? Not going to insist on this as its just a detail, but I dont see why it would matter to anyone but the map creator what aspects of the mission resulted better; I would probably just judge missions as a whole, IMO, thats why I asked.