The Dark Mod Forums

how to use I18n script?

knymed

i have translated "parcel" in italian and I've copied the original pk4 and the translated pk4 in the same directory. i've tried to use the I18n.pl script to extract the text but an error occurred:

C:\I18N>perl I18N.pl parcel.pk4
I18N.pl v0.12 - The Dark Mod Fan Mission translation helper.

Cannot read 'strings/english.lang': No such file or directory at I18N.pl line 10

C:\I18N>

so I tried to launch the script as:

C:\I18N>perl I18N.pl --english=parcel.pk4 --italian=parcel_it.pk4
I18N.pl v0.12 - The Dark Mod Fan Mission translation helper.

Cannot read 'strings/english.lang': No such file or directory at I18N.pl line 10

C:\I18N>

in the strings directory there is only the all.lang file

What should I do?

EDIT: i've renamed the file all.lang in english.lang. now the script works but after the briefing the game show a black screen and i can't go further

so I tried to launch the map via console "map parcel.pk4" , didnt worked so i used "dmap parcel.pk4" and"map parcel.pk4" and the map was loaded correctly.

However, the map still show a black screen after the briefing if i launch the map from the menu and TDM don't shows the accented letters

Edited by knymed

• 2 weeks later...

I am back :)

Sorry for the slip-up, yes english.lang needs to be there, not all.lang. I will udpate the package on my server tomorrow. (Not sure if the script works with all.lang, tho!)

As for the result, you need to use ONLY the output fmname.pk4 and fmname_l10n.pk4 files - if you have the original FM package there, too, D3 will get confused.

If you want, I can convert The Parcel for you and upload the result to my server.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 2 weeks later...

the problem is "the parcel". i've tried "mad's mountain" and the script works flawlessy. the script only converts the text not maps or others assets, so I need to insert them manually.

perl I18N.pl --english=madmountain.pk4 --italian=mad.pk4

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QPEKXIB9 only strings

"the parcel" italian translation italian.lang.txt

Edited by knymed

the problem is "the parcel". i've tried "mad's mountain" and the script works flawlessy. the script only converts the text not maps or others assets, so I need to insert them manually.

perl I18N.pl --english=madmountain.pk4 --italian=mad.pk4

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QPEKXIB9

O

Ok, have you tried redownloading the script? I fixed two bugs recently, maybe Parcel works now. Tomorrow I can also test Parcel and upload it for you.

And yes, it is a bit unfortunate that briefings or maps are not converted, at least the script could be more clever and insert the nec. material shaders etc. I'll see if I can teach it.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

si, ho scaricato lo script nuovo. ho inserito la trad di the parcel che mi avevi chiesto, ora sto nel wiki a vedere la procedura per gli assets tradotti da inserire manualmente nel pk4

EDIT: Echelon mi comunica che anche pandora's box dà schermata nera come parcel

Edited by knymed

Ah, yes, I know why. Pandoras box contains a file airship.*, but the map file is written out as "pandora.map". Clearly, I need to fix this. Gimme some hours.

Edit: Found and fixed, and I also suppressed the translation of "This is page X of your readable blah blah" :)

Download the script (or the ZIP) from here again please: http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/scripts/

Ah, yes, I know why. Pandoras box contains a file airship.*, but the map file is written out as "pandora.map". Clearly, I need to fix this. Gimme some hours.

Edit: Found and fixed, and I also suppressed the translation of "This is page X of your readable blah blah" :)

Download the script (or the ZIP) from here again please: http://www.bloodgate...dm/pub/scripts/

Ok, tels. Now the mission start, but i've found a lot of problem. (like the old days) :laugh:

-Pandora's box and the parcel start, but I see them both completely in English (even though I selected menu in Italian).

-I see mad mountain in Italian except for notes and description.

-when I go to click on "notes" screen I always get the message "# str_20002" instead of notes.

It like it not "redirect" to the file italian.lang (or english.lang).

Ok, tels. Now the mission start, but i've found a lot of problem. (like the old days) :laugh:

-Pandora's box and the parcel start, but I see them both completely in English (even though I selected menu in Italian).

-I see mad mountain in Italian except for notes and description.

-when I go to click on "notes" screen I always get the message "# str_20002" instead of notes.

It like it not "redirect" to the file italian.lang (or english.lang).

Have you made sure that you installed only the new, translated PK4 and the _l10n.pk4 file?

If the old PK4 file is still in the "fms" directory, and you click "Install mission" TDM will copy the old file over the translated one.

Likewise, if you still have it in doom3/pandora/pandora.pk4 - you see the untranslated mission.

It is best to move the old .pk4 file to a completely new folder.

(Do not make the mistake and rename the old PK4 file to something like "pandora_old.pk4" and leave it in darkmod/fms/pandora/ - this will copy it over when you install the mission (or later do use TDM w/o tdmlauncher) and D3 will load the file, anyway, causing problems :)

Create a new folder like "C:\old_pk4_files\" and move it there.

Tels, i've already delete all fms folders. ;)

I've tested all mission, even awaiting the storm downloaded now from bloodgate: http://www.bloodgate...m/pub/pk4/i18n/

The description is in english and notes say: "#str_20002".

Also knymed has the same problem.

I've also checked the file, and actually i understand why i see it that way. the file content of darkmod.txt file is all in English and does not contain a written form # str_20001.

Instead, the readme.txt file contains # str_20002. I think the "link" to the italian/english 20002 string file doesn't work.

Edited by ECHELON

Tels, i've already delete all fms folders. ;)

I've tested all mission, even awaiting the storm downloaded now from bloodgate: http://www.bloodgate...m/pub/pk4/i18n/

The description is in english and notes say: "#str_20002".

Also knymed has the same problem.

I've also checked the file, and actually i understand why i see it that way. the file content of darkmod.txt file is all in English and does not contain a written form # str_20001.

Instead, the readme.txt file contains # str_20002. I think the "link" to the italian/english 20002 string file doesn't work.

Sorry, I somehow misready your post. Here is the explanation on why it is that way:

The "descrption", "author" and "title in darkmod.txt MUST be in english - this is a bug in the code in TDM - the menu cannot display this text because it has only loaded the dictionary of the current (or no) FM, but the description would be different for each missions. To correctly display the text, the menu would need to load each FM dictionary in turn and switch the texts (after all str_20002 would be the same number but different contents for each missions). It simply does not do this yet.

As or the notes, where do these appear? This is probably a different translation bug (but if they do appear in the menu, they they will be needed to be displayed in english, too, because of the same reason as the description).

I do not know when I can fix these code bugs as it is not that easy and I am swamed with font and GUI work. Sorry.

Sorry, I somehow misready your post. Here is the explanation on why it is that way:

The "descrption", "author" and "title in darkmod.txt MUST be in english - this is a bug in the code in TDM - the menu cannot display this text because it has only loaded the dictionary of the current (or no) FM, but the description would be different for each missions. To correctly display the text, the menu would need to load each FM dictionary in turn and switch the texts (after all str_20002 would be the same number but different contents for each missions). It simply does not do this yet.

As or the notes, where do these appear? This is probably a different translation bug (but if they do appear in the menu, they they will be needed to be displayed in english, too, because of the same reason as the description).

I do not know when I can fix these code bugs as it is not that easy and I am swamed with font and GUI work. Sorry.

Ok. The important think is that it CAN be fixed and not WHEN it is fixed. :D

However, the note show me the text: #str_20002.

:unsure:

Edited by ECHELON

Ok. The important think is that it CAN be fixed and not WHEN it is fixed. :D

However, the note show me the text: #str_20002.

:unsure:

Can you post a screenshot please?

A bigger one please :D

Ah it is as I suspected, that would also need to be in English (e.g. not translated in the mission).

I fear that we need to fix that codebug, or all the translated missions will have english darkmod.txt and english readmes :(

only one small question. :D

Is that problem "huge"? Specifically, there is need to change a lot of things (and a lot of time required), or just some small accommodation?

I'm not asking how long it takes but only if it is a "serious" problem or not. :laugh:

It needs a complete new code support routine that can load from different PK4s (and hence different paths). It is not "huge" (now that we have the engine code, any missing piece can be added) but it is still a few hours of work I guess.

(Esp. since the latest build changes, on Linux everything is build all the time - it is much faster, the entire engine + dll in 16 minutes instead of dll in 22 - but 16 minutes wait time for even a single line of code change is very cumbersome).

Eventually it will get done before v1.08 - but not before then!

The use of precompiled headers is now an option, just use scons NO_GCH="1" to disable them.

The shame goes to the scons people who don't realize how much of a speedup precompiled headers can be in projects of a certain scale.

The use of precompiled headers is now an option, just use scons NO_GCH="1" to disable them.

Ah, that is much easier to use.

The shame goes to the scons people who don't realize how much of a speedup precompiled headers can be in projects of a certain scale.

Oh yes, the entire engine + dll compile takes now 16 minutes vs. 22 for the dll alone before. It definitely brings something.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, no, I have been busy with all the other bugs. There were also changes to how TDM stores and accesses FMs, so the work would have to be redone, anyway :)

• 4 weeks later...