The Dark Mod Forums

Announcing: The Crucible of Omens, a campaign for The Dark Mod

Melan

This is great announcement! I hope it will run on my low-end laptop and I sure do hope Blackheart Manor will be amongst the missions in this pack!

I'm fairly sure the point of a campaign is to produce new missions, not just repackage old ones.

To clarify: The Crucible of Omens integrates a number of maps, some new and some which have been in the works for a long amount of time. None of them have been released in any form, but most have had screenshots published in some way or another.

I think that should suffice for now.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Excellent news, and some real talent in the works. Placing bets now that TCoO will be out before Thief 4. :D

Maybe after the renovation of our garage is done it would make a suitable studio to record some vocals? Never tried voice acting in an official capacity, but some friends of mine say I have a knack for it. (Mind you, I'm hoping these aren't the same kinds of friends who get those atrocious people on American Idol!)

By the way, interesting title choice; as a crucible is a vessel in which refinement is conducted "The Crucible of Omens" would translate into "the refinement of the signs of a dark future."

Edited by Maethius
207115_1788633687853_1599901965_31729336_1424191_n.jpg

Maybe after the renovation of our garage is done it would make a suitable studio to record some vocals?

If your friends are right, then you could do some cool demo lines like Sly did:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/12552-need-any-more-voice-actors/page__view__findpost__p__253757

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I'm not saying that vocals are easy to do - but they would be an "easier" thing to add to missions than unique models / characters. If we have a lot of readables and unique conversations to overhear - I think it may go a long way to making it feel "thiefy".

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Maybe after the renovation of our garage is done it would make a suitable studio to record some vocals?

It depends on the acoustics, which in turn depends on what materials are used to construct the garage and what else is in it. An empty concrete garage with no acoustic treatment will probably have far too much reverb to record good-sounding vocals.

@Jdud, I will building something like this in January, just gotta get a decent mic and and a cheap floorstand.

@New Horizon, what mic do you suggest for around the £50/$80 mark? - I've been told by a blind buddy that a Realistic/Tandy PZM mic is the way to go for high output, low noise and natural sounding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • music composers

I will add my name to the list of people willing to contribute ambient music (and/or incidental sounds as needed). I have uploaded some quick previews here: http://soundcloud.co.../sets/ambients/

what mic do you suggest for around the £50/$80 mark? - I've been told by a blind buddy that a Realistic/Tandy PZM mic is the way to go for high output, low noise and natural sounding.

I'm no studio recording expert, but you could take a look here: http://www.thomann.d...80&ls=10&oa=prd

A good selection of names there at around your price range. The Shure microphones seem to be popular for recording vocals (if Computer Music magazine is anything to go by), especially the SM58 although it is a bit more expensive.

I've used the Shure SM58 over and over again, but I've gotten great sound out of their cheaper PG58 and PG48 just by practicing good microphone technique when you talk.

I just sold an AT2020USB, probably the best dummy-proof USB condenser mic I've ever used. I've seen it on amazon for 100 USD.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

There is no persistent city hub the way Thief 3 did it, but there are multiple city-based missions, some rather expansive.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I actually liked the city hub thing in T3. More of an actually grounding mechanism then a 'playable area'. The replay really wasn't there. But having a familiar area, where you knew the pagan area was to the south, the docks to the west, whatever... It helped to tie it altogether. And being able to go to the fence, or your apartment...

But that definitely had more of a 'menu' feel to me. Where as the campaign will feel much more T1/2 like where you are on a 'quest', doing something major instead of just running errands. And I guess that's how the T3 hub thing made me feel, a bit more like I was on errands, one at a time instead of just getting on with it.

Grand Theft Auto had a bit of both. There was the main story which would be like T2, you are this guy who starts at the bottom and raises to the top (T2) and there was the other part, the guy who could go pimp ho's, steal cars, and run people over (T3). Might be a slight exaggeration but...

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest