The Dark Mod Forums

Announcing: The Crucible of Omens, a campaign for The Dark Mod

Melan

I have taken a break in August, but am back to work. :)

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

My main concern for this how you guys are taking the approach to the stealth gameplay, each Thief game has brought something new to the table. Story and graphics are important but the nitty gritty, the reason we all play for is the gameplay. How will you guys take on the stealth gameplay, is there any experimentation being done to bring it to revolutionary heights? What I mean by revolutionary: http://sneakybastard...s-meant-for-me/

Taking it in new directions.

To get some conversation and analysis going, On the weekend of June 22, Sneaky Bastards (a group of people dedicated to bringing the best stealth games to the public eye), kicked off Stealthjam: the world's first global stealth game jam. It was a weekend brimming with stealth design discussion and furious prototyping, and teams of independent developers from around the world raced to explore new forms of stealth gameplay in just 48 hours. What follows are the best indie games; that take stealth in directions we have not seen before.

The result? 21 one games for your pleasure

http://sneakybastards.net/stealthjam/

Edited by TheUnbeholden

We will be happy when (and if) we release a full-length, feature-rich campaign -- believe me, it is hard enough as it is. It wasn't our intention to offer radical innovation in the field of stealth gaming, and if you expect the equivalent of Mission X for the length of n full, large missions, you will be disappointed. There is a good reason there is only one Mission X, too, and the sequels were never released. However, the missions we have do take advantage of TDM's special features, which I believe counts as innovative.

Edited by Melan
  • Like 4

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

and if you expect the equivalent of Mission X for the length of n full, large missions, you will be disappointed.

We shouldn't sell ourself too short, each of the missions that comprise the campaign are singularly large enough that the campaign as a whole will take some time to play through.

• 4 weeks later...

He's just joking man. Don't take it too seriously. I think the thing is they were struggling to keep their heads above water as it was with the normal work, so to ask about a trailer is a bit of putting the cart before the horse. But TDM itself had some pretty early trailers too that apparently helped morale, so it wouldn't be a bad idea either if there were someone to actually do it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

What's with the sarcastic response?

The five posts before yours were all about how the three or four people working on the campaign are burnt out and having trouble making progress. Following that with a, "Hey, are you guys going to do extra work?" understandably might rub those people the wrong way.

It's also kind of ironic, as multiple team-members over the course of the last year have talked about how helpful it would be for fans to make TDM trailers for Youtube to help with promoting TDM. I even made two myself that could be used as templates. As far as I know, no one has taken up that request.

Trust me. Just about everyone working on the campaign AND the mod itself are struggling to make progress and meet the commitments we've already made. It's not a good time to be asking for more.

My point is that anything more than a yes or no answer is unessecary. The fact that this answer has stretched to 4 or 5 replies is even more ridiculous.

I am unaware of the status of the Crucible team. I haven't been following this thread as I've been spending the last few months working on my own FM. It was merely a suggestion hardly a demand for extra work. If you don't like the idea or cannot find the time to do it then just say so. Anything more as a response is unessecary and stupid.

The nature of this thread is getting too negative for me. I have a lot of respect for Springheel and the Crucible team and I have better things to do then post about something that makes absolutely zero difference to my life either way. So no more posts from me about the Crucible trailer.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

One thing I would really like to see though is a bit more detail on the adventure you guys are planning; I was really interested by that feature list, and I think it could be cool to know more about the hero's journey, what is being planned in terms of storytelling (just a small sinopsis would be great).

One thing I would really like to see though is a bit more detail on the adventure you guys are planning; I was really interested by that feature list, and I think it could be cool to know more about the hero's journey, what is being planned in terms of storytelling (just a small sinopsis would be great).

greebo can do that on his lunch break.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

I am unaware of the status of the Crucible team. I haven't been following this thread

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to rag on you specifically, just explaining why you might have gotten a reaction you didn't expect.

In any case, I think if anyone has earned the right to a little tounge in cheek sarcasm, it's Greebo. I don't think anyone on the team would dispute that they are two of the unsung heroes of the Mod. Managing the work of what would probably take 3 people to do on a good day, while holding down a job, rasing a child and having a personal life? It's no wonder the poor guy is so burned out and tired.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...