The Dark Mod Forums

Announcing: The Crucible of Omens, a campaign for The Dark Mod

Melan

The campaign is about half the length of Thief Gold. All missions had been worked on previously, and were brought together in the campaign. They range from large to very-very large. I cannot be more precise than that.

Fair enough. Given the number of mappers involved and the information you just provided I guess that means more or less about 8 or 9 missions. Making them work together as a seamless gameplay experience must be the hardest part, given that different mappers have different styles and so on, it's a shame you might be forced to do a sequential release, but to be fair, I wouldn't mind waiting a little more to get a full version instead, as long as that meant some extra polishing and a tighter presentation. Besides, dvelopment may get a little smoother once 1.09 standalone is released, supposing some of you are also contributing towards it ATM, right?

There is overlap. The main thing is doing about 20% of the work, which, as you correctly note, is essentially a whole lot of smaller tasks. And again, burnout and personal matters (for example, I have been doing a lot of overtime, and it's leaving me creatively exhausted by the time I get home -- so I just screw around on the net instead of sitting down and mapping).

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 4 weeks later...

So keen for this!

Did you guys still need any voice acting work done?

• 2 months later...

The campaign looks fantastic :smile:

I'm running out of awesome story driven campaigns to play and it sounds like this will be the best so far.

I know you guys don't have an exact release date set, but is a release some time this year in the cards?

Edited by Mik James

It would be, if we were a large, active team. Unfortunately, only about two or sometimes three people tend to be active at the same time.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 1 year later...

I will be very pleasantly surprised if either this or a standalone ever get released.

I guess you are pleasantly surprised now :D

• Like 1

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Evening Summer

Atm the main campaign is a way off, all the maps are pretty much built and what's mostly left is cut-scenes, readables and scripting.

But on a more positive note, a mission that was originally built for the Amazon Thief contest has been re-purposed. We will be making an announcement on this soon.

Will this use The Moors NPC"s that were recently introduced?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 3 weeks later...

I would be glad to be a sound guy on this project if you want me...

I have a background in music/sound and voice. I have all of the top of the line tools at my disposal. I can only work on weekends though... (you know life)

thanks...

Edited by Caffine_Rush

I am actually quite allergic to caffeine...

• 3 months later...

Hello, if i'm unaware of this wonderful campaign, where can i get all info? Cause first post is outdated, and reading all 7 pages is weird business.

How many missions are planned?

What's the current status of campaign?

There is not all that much info.

• There are eight missions plus a prologue (made from discarded campaign bits and extra material).
  • The curent status is "Dead", with occasional signs of undeath.
  • The prologue is being worked on, and I think fairly advanced. Mission 1 is 95% done. The trouble is, there is no active team working on the project. Most of our members have scattered to the winds, and the rest are too burned out to continue.

[edit]I mean, this was almost exactly two years ago. Almost nothing has happened since then, with the project hovering at that level of completion. It may sound disappointing and strange that it'd be killed by that 15-20% worth of smaller tasks, but that's what has happened. We can't pretend otherwise without being dishonest.

That's not going to happen, ever. Sorry.