The Dark Mod Forums

A Christmas present 2011

Arcturus

When I get a chance, I'm gonna try replacing the

"blend filter" mode from your shadow decals with "blend gl_zero, gl_one_minus_src_color" (negative light)...

(or something similar) I think that'll make it more reactive to light changes when I pull out the lantern...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Already done. For you, good sir.

www.xfire.com/video/5209b6/

(Forgive the FPS counter, I don't even notice it's there anymore)

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Could you put that video up on a YouTube account as well? That way it's easy to download off Firefox & you can embed it in a forum post (which you can't always do with a swf file). Or upload the video somewhere and I'll put it up on my account.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Seems I've deleted the raw data, the clip only takes 2 minutes so I can just re-record it and put it on YouTube.

In fact, while I finish this drink, I'll do exactly that.

Edited by Xarg

Probably, I've been tinkering with my brightness levels (darkening the monitors and upping brightness in software), also uploading this in 720 with less intro (still a little bit) so it should be easier to see things like the window. I can probably further crop out the beginning using the YouTube editing stuff, not sure about brightness/gamma though.

Good news everyone, cropped off the menu at the start, and was able to pump a bit more brightness/gamma into it with the 'Tube editor. Hopefully these changes are applied to the video before people use it for whatever

Edited by Xarg
  • Like 1

Aw! That was just cute. :)

Just wondering if

the new character could be reskinned and used in other FMs

but not had time to check it out in DR yet!

Me too, at least the head (with white, grey and black beard). The full model would need readjustment.

Also, loved as his cap nodded as he was squeezing through the fireplace. Very professional.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Thanks Xarg and demagogue.

Me too, at least the head (with white, grey and black beard). The full model would need readjustment.

It's not that great. Eyebrows and mouth can't be animated, size probably won't match other bodies etc.

It's only a model...

Alright... I cleared a few cobwebs from my noodle and went back to look at some of the "Negative Light" topics here and at Doom3world.

I think Filter is as good as any other Blend because all Blends are essentially additive or multiplicative... With no subtractive blends it

is difficult to fathom a good way to introduce more reactivity in the material.

I am gonna play with "Sort" properties. I know that "Sort postProcess" would filter after the illumination but obviously that would pose a problem for geometry on top of the decal...

Perhaps "sort almostNearest" would be a post lit "relative darkening"...

When fire is doused shadow decals should be destroyed or teleported, but with blend filter floor may appear brighter after that. Perhaps blend add may be more appropriate since it's the light you actually remove not the shadow.

It's only a model...

Well... if you darkened the floor (meaning less illumination) then used an additive blend... then the dark areas in the blend would remain relatively darker until lit... yes.

I guess that's pretty close to ideal.

Edited by nbohr1more

You may use them as you wish.

Btw, I'm adding your torch flames from the grass map to the repository, and making a bunch of torch entities to go with them...I think they're significantly more realistic than our current flames and I'll be using them exclusively from now on.

Btw, I'm adding your torch flames from the grass map to the repository, and making a bunch of torch entities to go with them.

Thanks. I made one custom image for this effect. It's a sprite of couple of frames with fire. Other three are from doom (one fire image, one smoke and heat haze). They should be easy to replace. Maybe it's occasion to make a first Doom-free effect. I'll look into that.

It's only a model...

This was amazing. You just can't stop yourself from smiling when seeing this.

Why I was expecting some ghosts? ;)

Dobra robota!

'Cause you like Dickens? :D

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.