The Dark Mod Forums

Writing for The Dark Mod as a Programmer.

moritz

I am looking for some Programmer Coding work.

If you are Interested in my general work.

I have worked for two Companies in Austria and I failed there because it has gotten bored.

I have been at a Stamp Company for 4 years there I Builded Stamps and the other Company was a Digital Data Management there I worked for 7 years using Adobe Photoshop and cut free Pictures.

I also have made there my second Education as a Media Technician.

For the moment I have started the Evening Gymnasium for my Higher School Certificate so I can begin with my First Education and finish it at the Johannes Kepler University in Linz.

I learned C C ++ since my Childhood and I would be very Interested in working with the Dark Mod team.

I can help too I hope.

It might be a pleasure if you can tell me what you are thinking of working with the dark mod team.

What do I need to do to work for the dark mod team?

It would be interested what you can tell me.

What would you like to see for example?

PS: Anybody got Skype so we could chat there?

My Skype account is danger.mo

Can you show me an Example of source code of the dark mod for Example? So I can get an image what you are coding and how your code style is?

Edited by moritz

This was posted to someone else but applies here, I think:

Help with programming in C++ is always welcome, but beware that I've grown very hesitant to have new folks signed up and to lead them by the hand. I've done it dozens of times and I just don't have the time for that anymore. If you are willing to help, prove it to yourself that you are able to handle the TDM codebase, by picking one of the issues on the bugtracker, diving into the code and trying to fix it. Asking questions is always ok, of course, but don't expect anybody to do your "homework" (= reading the code, trying to find a solution that is not hopefully not just a dirty hack).

Generally, you don't need to be a team member or have access to SVN or the team forums. Everything you need to get started is freely availabe: the code, the bugtracker, the wiki including compilation guides in all three supported platforms.

The source code can be found at the Downloads page. Why not take a peek at the code and review the "Coding in the SDK" wiki article to see if you can do some basic changes. Then either fix a problem or demonstrate new functionality.

Alternately, you could stop by the Doom 3 source over at Github and start your own fork. Then demonstrate any fixes or improvements to the engine overall.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hi there Moritz,

to get started with coding it's probably best if you try to pick one item from the bugtracker and challenge yourself with that. You'll most likely hit a roadblock sooner or later (which is not unnatural, to assure you, so don't get yourself demotivated too soon). That's where me or any other TDM team member can start helping you out. I'd recommend opening a thread in the forums about your problem then, and from there we'll get the ball rolling.

We don't have a "Teach Yourself TDM Coding In Seven Days" class or something like that, so that's the best we can offer at this point.

P.S. a note about the Coding in the SDK article: it's been a while since I wrote that, and some information is outdated already (like there is no "closed" part of the source anymore, we do have everything in our hands in the meantime), but it might still be a source of information about one topic or another.

He could try to insert a "set to ground"-feature in Dark Radiant, which aligns the marked Entity/Model to the ground under it (brush or another Entity/Model). That would be really helpful :D

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager