The Dark Mod Forums

Contest Conversation?

nbohr1more

Some ideas that pop into my head:

1. Assassination mission. Creativity in assassination technique is taken into account during judging.

2. Mission in Motion. Perform a mission while aboard, or using, a vehicle in motion... be it a ship, mine cart, horse carriage, etc.

3. Infiltration mission. Player and/or AI must change teams x number of times during the mission, allowing the player to "infiltrate" an enemy fortress etc. while in plain sight.

4. Alternate reality mission. Maybe a place like Constantine's Mansion or Maw of Chaos, where everything's a bit weird. Or maybe the player ate the wrong kind of mushroom and has to deal with the world being different. Drunk player after beating Benny in a drinking contest? Or something supernatural involving the player stepping through a portal or such?

... more to come...

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

@ Pranqster -

1 and 2 give me a very Hitman feel. As I'm a huge Hitman fan this is no bad thing.

3 is really interesting. It reminds me of the train mission in T2X. Something like that is going to be really hard to pull off though.

I like 4 the most. I love Wierd Thief FMs. I can only come up with ideas for traditional Thief FMs and am useless for thinking outside the box, so I engourage other people to do it instead.

• Like 1

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

I really liked when T1 got weird. The MC Escher-esque feel and distorted perspective made things really interesting.

Another idea, but maybe not so good for a mission contest: Reconstruction of real-world locations and/or architecture. Mappers from the UK could make classic locations such as Deal Castle (probably the easiest), etc.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I think my next map will be something Builder related, or in other words you have get into a builder space and retrieve something (which would essentially a prequel to my first mission story telling wise, if you played my mission you know what i mean ~). Just to let you know. ;P

If it fits somehow in the contest i would ofc participate. :)

Edited by jysk

I can't remember if I posted this before, but one contest idea I had was a sort of Russian roulette idea where contestants enter wiithout any planned missions and then forum members submit (secretly) a bunch of mission ideas with no common theme that are randomly assigned to each contestant, so you have no idea what to expect. You'd basically be judged on how well you executed a simple mission idea. Sadistic I know ;-)

Edited by Midnight
  • Like 3

I can't remember if I posted this before, but one contest idea I had was a sort of Russian roulette idea where contestants enter wiithout any planned missions and then forum members submit (secretly) a bunch of mission ideas with no common theme that are randomly assigned to each contestant, so you have no idea what to expect. You'd basically be judged on how well you executed a simple mission idea. Sadistic I know ;-)

I think this is an excellent idea. It has the potential for pushing mappers to places they might not ever have gone on their own.

I'd sign up for this contest.

• Like 1

Definitely a neat idea, but contestants run the risk of somone getting a mission type that they just can't stand (I personally hate the 'weird physics' maps that some other people really like), so you might want to have options for that.

You'd probably also want to vet the mission ideas so that someone doesn't get an idea that is much harder to do with existing assets (top-secret inventor lab or flood ward vs generic city environment), or factor that into the voting somehow.

Not to sound like someone joining the bandwagon late but...

I do like this Secret Santa\Russian Roulette concept and I was contemplating

something near to it:

Mappers describe their own concept.

One of the 3 criteria is reserved for "how well does the mission live-up to the concept".

That way mappers can choose whatever mission style they desire and be held accountable

to the expectations they set.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 4 months later...

Interesting idea but i think it is rather focused on scripting rather than on visuals.

Another thought:

Have you thought about opening a contest, everyone whos interested, can register with a short description of their skills and then mix up the people in teams of 2?

So it is an opportunity for coders, modelers, texture artists, etc. to contribute to a mission, without knowing mapping in all it's details? It is a chance to get more people into mapping and learn from each other...

All you need is a dropbox account, skydrive, etc.

Secret Santa roulette - Each contestant submits 3 terms to the pools (description, faction, location), each mapper is given 3 random terms.

Bob submits Flooded Builder Mine

Bill submits Rural Pagan Village

Benny submits Decrepit City Street

*randomiser is terrible and only rearranges the first term*

Ben gets Flooded Pagan Village

Bill gets Rural City Street (that's a bit confusing, City here represents the city guard faction, so this would be the outskirts of a city, maybe some houses beyond the stone wall if it's a fort)

Benny gets Decrepit Builder Mine.

Add a few more terms to the pool, and randomise all 3 terms, and something wonderful could happen :)

As long as all the terms for each of the 3 pools are intercompatible (so you don't get something insane like Inverted NecroMage's Arenaboratory.....), you could have some really interesting concepts come out of the draw.

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

So...

How are folks feeling about a contest ending in February?

I'll comb this tread for the most popular ideas and make a poll or two by the end of this weekend

if this is a good time-table.

What say you?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Have you thought about opening a contest, everyone whos interested, can register with a short description of their skills and then mix up the people in teams of 2?

So it is an opportunity for coders, modelers, texture artists, etc. to contribute to a mission, without knowing mapping in all it's details? It is a chance to get more people into mapping and learn from each other...

All you need is a dropbox account, skydrive, etc.

I think this would be a very interesting aproach, I actually mentioned this once or twice before, it is not that easy to make two people's expectations meet, but a short and fun context where you are part of a team and wants to focuse on what you like and know more, could very likely create nice results.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had an idea for a contest flushing trough my mind and just want to post it here before I forget

I don't know if you like it, we'll see

MODULAR MAPPING CONTEST

it consists out of two steps

STEP I:

- some mappers try to create little map modules for mapping, such as hallway parts, little rooms, building facades and so one

- to do this there should be a discussion on which sizes to use

- they post images of it after a fixed time and upload it as prefabs

STEP II(the main contest):

- the contestants download the prefabs and have to build a map mainly out of those

- creating new parts or non-module sceneries should stay at a minimum but is allowed

- retexturing of the modules is of course allowed

beneath the evaluation of the map in terms of look-like and gameplay we could also evaluate the usage of the predefined modules

there are some good thinks about this IMO:

- we will have a couple of prefabs ready

- we'll have a discussion about stantarization of such modules, although may not be needed for everyone to me seems to be something good

especially for new mappers

- as the usage of such module is relatively fast and error-prone, small til medium sized maps could be created in a rather short time, what is also

especially good for new mappers, who may not want to spend three months on their first map or who try it and then get bored

this is just an idea so feel free to reply/criticise on it

I'm looking forward to hear what your thinking about it ^_^

Edited by Obsttorte

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

To me, this is a cool idea. (Not much of a surprise to anyone as I'm so fascinated by modules at this time.)

The contest would generate more missions AND, as a side product, a community library of modules. Like you said, the grid-size must be carefully considered. There could be also a size limit for the maps so that more missions get completed and the contest would be more newbie-friendly. Also, modules work the best for interiors. Outside, the grid mentality may be more of a burden than an advantage.

One more idea: mappers would be encouraged to make derivatives of the given modules. If there is a, say a castle wall with certain kind of vaulting, the mappers could make new modules with the similar and fitting style.

If this contest becomes a reality, I won't be enrolling, but I promise to offer all the modules I've built thus far for people to use.

• Like 2

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.