The Dark Mod Forums

Contest Conversation?

nbohr1more

Are these in the core mod? I don't recall seeing them.

No, there is a download link in the construction thread, though. Also, I did submit a bunch of prefabs a few months ago (late May or something).

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

The warrior contest! make maps that require the player to use his sword as an important part of the mission. Ghosting contest. Exploration contest. Etc and so on.

The Handwalkers Contest. Achieve your objects while walking on your hands all the time. :P

Well. As I've seen now most of the people here seem to have a more negative point of view about this topic (the use of a modular building technique, not a procedural one)

Anyway. Maybe in the future, if there are some maps out there built in such a manner we could give this idea another try. But by now it seems to me that due to the negative expectations of the people posting here (counting it as representive?!) such a contest doesn't make much sense.

I like the idea Springheel mentioned. But it may be expanded in the way that one has to make also other things different.

So for example the mentioned objectives, or some other aspects of game mechanism or even the map design itself (remember The Sword)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

(counting it as representive?!)

The 'modular' contest idea seam to have their supporters and sceptics. Half duzon of people aren't really representiv to appraise.

The contest concept that had been diskussed and favored most had been:

What about a poll to get the picture what concept is most appealing and get things rolling?

Edited by fllood

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

sounds also nice, especially as the new hitman seems to go with the "making games easier to avoid challenging the player" flow

the missions could than be rated by the creativity of possible execution methods (I'm thinking about poison or disguising the murder as an accident)

@flood: you may add this to your list (and also my creative gameplay suggestion :ph34r: )

Edited by Obsttorte

An assassination contest?

That would also fit well into the "unconventional objective" theme.

The assination idea would only work if there were multiple ways of completing the objective. Eg brute force like an arrow through the head, make it look like an accident like Hitman or have the target removed in a way without killing them like in some of the levels in Dishonored.

Anyway I'll vote for Manor Heist seen as part 2 of Vengeance for a Thief fits snuggly into that.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

the creative objective suggestion made by springheel could be extended to a creativity contest:

the authors would have to make a mission that differs obviously from the "standard" FM gameplay

this can be some unusual Objectives, but also some different gameplay or even the level design itself

to give some examples:

- objectives: as mentioned by Springheel what you've had in his map "A score to settle" / the assassination idea by Sotha

- gameplay: "reap as you saw" by Fieldmedic would be a good example

- level design: "the sword" of the original Thief release would go in that direction

these examples are just given so you know what I mean, and this kind of contest would also include some of the other mentioned ideas

(and could also be a manor heist if there is something special about it ;) )

So what's about a poll to find out which contest format is the most preferrable :D