The Dark Mod Forums

Problem with TDM 1.07 and Gnome 3

hobbes1069

Dang it, problem setting tags :)

Well it looks like the boost problem is fixed on Linux as of TDM 1.07 but now I have a new issue. When the game tries to restart the mouse cursor get's stuck in the top left corner of the screen which activates the new Gnome 3 (aka Gnome Shell) menu and there's absolutely no way for me to get control back other than to restart X or go to a VT and kill the doom.x86 process.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Richard

Don't use Gnome 3?

Other than that, I have no idea, sorry. (Seems another nail in the coffin for Gnome 3 - I have so far heard nothing good about it).

• Like 1

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Yeah I read that GNOME3 uses 3D acceleration. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Compiz junkie, but I have an efficient setup. A 3D accelerated desktop will decrease game performance, so I set a key to enable compiz and another key to disable it. When I want to game, I just hit a key combination and it drops to 2D without an X restart or closing any of my other programs. Then when I'm done I hit another key and my Compiz is back enabled. I'm still using GNOME2 because of things like this and as a user, I know what I want.

Suggested workarounds: Use the gnome classic/safe option, which is 2D only, or install something tiny like TWM to launch TDM from.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Gnome3 broke the fullscreen code for a lot of things.

Java swing in fullscreen modal dialogs are broken (and make the application unusuable since they block the window input AND appear below it.

Wine is completely borked in fullscreen mode in the exact same manner you describe.

I think that what happened is that they changed the underlying X window manager from compiz to something else. Opps, i guess those standards need to be improved.

Anyway, go into "classic mode" to avoid that when you want a app in fullscreen.

Nevertheless i'm digging gnome shell now that i've discovered the extension page:

https://extensions.gnome.org/

(recommended: hide topbar and music integration (again))

Edited by i30817

"Gnome3 broke the fullscreen code for a lot of things" "Wine is completely borked in fullscreen mode in the exact same manner you describe."

Damn, you're joking right? That sort of thing is just unbelievable (well not really). I've come to a realization over the past decade that most people who think they know how UIs should be designed have no business designing them. What if Microsoft did something like that?

I'm actually considering downloading OpenIndiana and switching to that, but I don't know if TDM will play there. It is GNOME 2 based. While GNOME 2 is nowhere near perfect, it comes closest to providing the functionality I require out of the DEs.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Damn, you're joking right? That sort of thing is just unbelievable (well not really). I've come to a realization over the past decade that most people who think they know how UIs should be designed have no business designing them. What if Microsoft did something like that?

Funny, I was thinking something similar this morning when I logged into my KDE desktop only to find that it had Just Randomly Decided that one of the menus needs to be rotated by 90° for no obvious reason (seriously wtf?). Perhaps it is not just me that thinks that the Linux desktop is becoming less stable and usable with every release.

Use the virtual desktop feature of wine to the same resolution the game wants to avoid that problem.

The java swing thing is more serious. lolololol. Much more serious. I want to see all those universities and middleware not upgrading for 5 years because some twit thought releasing without testing with java of all things was ok.

Realistically this stuff should have been reported and fixed in the ubuntu prerelease. But i guess they DID notice, since netbeans 7.01 is not on the repositories while 6.7 was. If you put it in fullscreen mode and try to open a dialog, it blocks netbeans dead.

Anyway, i think unity sucks more than gnome 3 with gnome-shell, and i am addicted i don't think xubuntu etc is for me so i guess i made my bed and am going to lay in it.

It's not so bad as all that - the most annoying thing about the "single window centric" design is the filemanager, that should have never been so. Make that one "two window centric" -eg: default to opening another on the second time and selecting the other in the third etc, and it would work since file managers are used to copy things from a places to another places. And the ability to snap windows to regions is nice, though i hear it was "stolen" from xfce.

Another annoying thing it's that it's easy to hover the hotpot by mistake, though i also love the convenience.

Them replacing python in gnome shell extensions for javascript of all things is really stupid though. I guess they want to take advantage of a hypothetical sandboxing api that doesn't exist yet (of course!) but fuck them, a sandboxing api in python would be nice.

Edited by i30817

Funny, I was thinking something similar this morning when I logged into my KDE desktop only to find that it had Just Randomly Decided that one of the menus needs to be rotated by 90° for no obvious reason (seriously wtf?). Perhaps it is not just me that thinks that the Linux desktop is becoming less stable and usable with every release.

Heh, that is like my KDE desktop which was running w/o internet just fine for 3 weeks, but one morning it decided that every menu/launcher/taskbar interaction would take 60 seconds (no kidding!) to complete. Click menu button - wait 60 seconds, menu comes up. Press ESC, menu closes after 60 seconds. Clock updates every 20 seconds. etc etc.

Once I got internet back, suddenly all was back to normal. Seriusly wtf, why does the plasma desktop need net connectivity?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

It's not so bad as all that - the most annoying thing about the "single window centric" design is the filemanager, that should have never been so. Make that one "two window centric" -eg: default to opening another on the second time and selecting the other in the third etc, and it would work since file managers are used to copy things from a places to another places.

Try [F3] with your file manager (nautilus) in focus. ;)

• 2 months later...

Well, still no solution to the problem with Gnome 3 but I do have a workaround. I also usually install LXDE desktop for testing since I use it on lower powered systems. Logging out back to GDM and changing my session from Gnome to LXDE does the trick.

Still it's a pain to have to logout and back in to play a game.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm.... sounds like you want to avoid using KDE. I've had no issues running TDM with KDE desktop, with or without compositing. Fame rate was higher of course without compositing.

I had tried Gnome3 recently and didn't care for it. It reminded me of what some developers recently introduced to Mandriva w/ KDE, called Rosa Desktop/Rosa Launcher... not my cup of tea. I prefer Plasma and it's very customize-able panels. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have very few problems with KDE (currently 4.8.1).

Akonadi is my biggest annoyance with KDE, but I do run a few programs which depend on it. I found a way to tame it though. I have an application launcher which runs: 'pkill akonadi;pkill nepomuk;pkill virtuoso;pkill konqueror;pkill apper-sentinel'. I run that a couple times to get akonadi and others killed when I don't need/want them.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

• 1 month later...