The Dark Mod Forums

Pick your Top 5 TDM Missions

Springheel

I was hoping more votes might break the massive 4-way tie for fourth place, but now we've just got an even larger tie for third place. :)

Here are the results:

The Top SEVEN Missions, by community vote:

1. Tears of St. Lucia (13 votes)

2. A Score to Settle (11 votes)

3. No Honour Among Thieves, Glenham Tower, Knighton Manor, Heart of Lone Salvation, Return to the City (7 votes each)

Honourable Mentions:

4. Alberic's Curse, Flakebridge Monastary (6 votes each)

5. Mandrasola, The Transaction, St. Alban's Cathedral, Fiasco on Fauchard St. (4 votes each)

6. The Builder's Influence (3 votes)

Other than pinning this information somewhere, I'm not entirely sure what to do with it. I had thought that doing something in the Download Mission menu, like adding a star or something next to those missions, would be appropriate, but I'm not sure how easy that would be to do.

I had another idea as well...since Tears of St. Lucia was the clear favourite, with more than 50% of people listing it as one of their favourites, how would people feel about including it in the main TDM download package? It's only 18MB, so the size would be negligable. And Tears of St. Lucia was an official, team-built mission that was designed with 'impressing the public' in mind (it was our second demo, for those that didn't know). By including it in the download, we would make it very likely that new players would play it before downloading any other mission, so we'd be certain that they play TDM's best mission first. I personally think it's a good idea.

• Like 1

Other than pinning this information somewhere, I'm not entirely sure what to do with it. I had thought that doing something in the Download Mission menu, like adding a star or something next to those missions, would be appropriate, but I'm not sure how easy that would be to do.

It surely wouldn't be too hard on the main TDM page? Add a star, explained as a "Community pick". Maybe add this info to the short blurbs of the individual mission files as well? Or in a corner of the initial screenshot you see in the downloader?

I had another idea as well...since Tears of St. Lucia was the clear favourite, with more than 50% of people listing it as one of their favourites, how would people feel about including it in the main TDM download package?

Good thinking.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Maybe we should now vote on which of the remaining missions for each of the 3rd, 4th and 5th places we would prefer, to break the tie? Yes, I think a sticky here on the forums, a mention on the main page (news and download list), wiki, etc., would be enough.

I also vote for including Saint Lucia for sure, I always wondered why it wasnt in the first place - the training mission is a great map to get to know the potential of the mod, but I dont think anyone would not like to have a "introduction" mission to play with right after downloading the whole thing, specially if its such a nice one like Tears.

Edited by RPGista

Lol, Tears of Saint Lucia... It was the second map out for TDM right? Its really a masterpiece, since some time ago a Classic mission and now included in the Mod. Thats the way to go!

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

I had another idea as well..How would people feel about including it in the main TDM download package? It's only 18MB, so the size would be negligable. And Tears of St. Lucia was an official, team-built mission that was designed with 'impressing the public' in mind ... I personally think it's a good idea.

Absolutly. I always wondered why Tears of St. Lucia wasn't included. Being a excellent team effort to showcase TDM...

Edited by fllood

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

St. Lucia was always special. And it's not a bad idea for new players to have the same first "deep" experience with Dark Mod that we had. (For that reason, packaging A Thieve's Den wouldn't be so bad either, everyone's real first experience. Edit: What about the idea of combining Thieve's Den into the Tutorial Mission, so after you've visited all the areas, a door opens up that teleports you to a full mini-mission you can play, and it's Thieve's Den, and winning it just teleports you back to the tutorial hub. Just an idea...)

I think for #3, if you wanted an "objective" tie breaker, No Honor Among Thieves is the most ambitious of the list as a 3 mission campaign. So if the goal is the make an impression for new players, that's the one for them to play first I'd think. Or if you wanted a vote-off to pick among them, that'd be my pick anyway (just for that reason; I like all those missions).

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I don't see the point of a vote...I only gave the totals for the sake of transparency. The main goal is just to have a list of recommendations, and having 7 is fine, I think.

I'm not sure if this has already been addressed and I might be thinking of the wrong mission, but I remember my only problem with The Tears of Saint Lucia is that it has this odd issue with the last objective where if you don't go to a certain place on the way out of the cathedral it won't count as completed.

This would be fine except there is an exit that bypasses this specific area gives you a clear way to the beginning of the level, which doesn't seem to count completing the "leave the vicinity of the church" meaning that the player has to go back towards the church in order to complete that objective, which runs counter to common sense as well as to the way the "get out" objectives work in most missions.

I don't know if maybe I didn't update the mission properly or if I'm thinking of the wrong mission, but if I'm thinking of the same mission then I really think that's something that would need to be fixed before you include it with the mod.

Edited by Professor Paul1290

Definitely this mission, and definitely an issue.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I can go over the map and make sure everything is working. There were a few other things that were a bit glitchy with the new version, as I recall. And if we're going to include it with the mod download, I'd like to add in a little support for a few new features that weren't available at the time, like suspicious lights and doors.

While not quite as offending as the issue with the "get out" objective, there is something else in the mission which doesn't make sense.

As far as I know, the main door to the crypt does not work at all from either side, and I think it doesn't even frob. Maybe there's a trick or switch to opening it somewhere, but if there is I have yet to find it. It's not really mission breaking as you can get in and out of the crypt using the elevator but it doesn't quite make sense considering that the door is as decorated as it is and has a keyhole next to it, which strongly suggests it should do something other than act as a wall.

I think you should at least be able use the door or keyhole to attempt open the door even if it never works, at least to maintain consistency with the other doors.

Edited by Professor Paul1290

I can go over the map and make sure everything is working. There were a few other things that were a bit glitchy with the new version, as I recall. And if we're going to include it with the mod download, I'd like to add in a little support for a few new features that weren't available at the time, like suspicious lights and doors.

Dont forget to checking all the texture alignments et, nothing takes you out of the game than a poorly aligned texture..