The Dark Mod Forums

Pick your Top 5 TDM Missions

Springheel

• 2 weeks later...

I think an assassination type of mission would be great.Like have a big city setting and have the objective to be :kill none other than your designated target. I think there's a lot of cool ideas that could be implemented in such types of missions.

Now, having played around 10 missions, my personal top 5 in no particular order:Business as usual(really great mission imo),In the North(much deeper than it first appears, the creator really gave life to that place),Lords and Legacy(incredible as well),Return to the city,The Alchemist.

Edited by Pulse

I think an assassination type of mission would be great.Like have a big city setting and have the objective to be :kill none other than your designated target. I think there's a lot of cool ideas that could be implemented in such types of missions.

You want to play Sneak & Destroy

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Thanks, nice to hear!

To your issue:

The target isn't sleeping from the beginning. If you pull the lever in the cellar she'll go to bed (if you read the readables you'll notice why). You can also wake her up and make a last final stand. It's all up to you! ;)

Edited by SeriousToni
  • Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Yes, didn't you watch the ending video sequence of the mission? There is a little movie sequence after you've completed the mission.

Of course the story will continue in the next mission which is already in developement. But I'm afraid I can't say yet when this will be ready to play.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Having played pretty much every FM available right now, this is my top 5 I'd say:

1: WS1: In the North.

2: Requiem

3: The Lich Queen's Demise (really the entire Porter series is good but some of them are far better than others)

4: Lords & Legacy

5: WS2: Home Again

There are so many other great FMs, though. Just to name a few... Swing, Glenham Tower, A Night to Remember, Penny Dreadful: Grail of Regrets, Flakebridge Monastery, Crystal Grave, Alberic's Curse were all were good times. If I really went through the list of FMs I'd probably find more to name there, but I think that top 5 of mine isn't gonna budge for now.

It's pretty amazing that I've caught up to finishing all of the available Dark Mod missions up til now (except the few that haven't been updated to 2.0+, since I just got into it with 2.0). It's probably owed to many being small/medium sized. I'm nowhere near finished playing all T1/G/2 missions after playing them for nearly a decade, there's just too many.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a list of above average missions. Undead missions have not been filtered.

Requiem

William Steele 1: In the North

William Steele 2: Home Again

The Lich Queen's Demise

A Score to Settle

A Night to Remember

House in Blackbog Hollow

The Creeps

The Phrase Book

Return to the City 2011

St Albans Cathedral

Not An Ordinary Guest

Vengeance for a Thief: Part 1

Alberic's Curse

Beleaguered Fence, The

Dragon's Claw

Flakebridge Monastery

Glenham Tower, The

Knighton Manor, The

Mandrasola

Patently Dangerous

Rake Off

Sneak and Destroy

Somewhere Above the City

The Caduceus of St. Alban

The Transaction

Vengeance for a Thief Part 2

What brings these missions together is that all of them have had the majority of people voting a score of 4/5 or better in the mission polls.

The list is missing many excellent missions that sadly never had a poll for ratings.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I'm nowhere near finished playing all T1/G/2 missions after playing them for nearly a decade, there's just too many.

There's about 700 Thief missions compared to 70 TDM ones.

What brings these missions together is that all of them have had the majority of people voting a score of 4/5 or better in the mission polls.

Um, isn't that all the missions with polls? If you check, every mission has most votes for 4 of course. (People don't vote 1 or 2 as it's rude/mean, so the bell curve means similar votes for 3 and 5, with the most landing at 4.) If you look at the least popular missions, the most votes are 4, if you look at the most popular, the most votes are 4, and there is obviously no correlation to quality.

Can someone point me to the best 10 missions without too many undead in?

I know of two options, one is sort the wiki list by undead so you can exclude them: http://wiki.thedarkm...or_The_Dark_Mod

Sadly there was a forum thread of favorite missions without undead I thought but I'm unsuccessful at getting Google to bring such up atm.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

RJFerret, I'm sorry, but you are wrong. Please examine the polls more thoroughly. There are plenty of average (3/5) missions. The listed missions are indeed the ones the community lists as above average. There is a clear correlation with quality.

Toni, I only gathered the poll voting numbers, no download statistics.

Clipper

I suppose there is no harm posting the list here, for the curious to see.

The missions are crudely arranged in order of quality based by the mission poll results. I simply took the options the majority had voted and averaged them into one number. Some missions used a different rating system, so I converted them into x/5 system.

Because of the crude way the ratings were picked up, there is no point in looking the numbers too carefully (i.e. comparing missions of roughly the same score if the other really is better than the other).

You can only identify the missions the community has favoured more with better ratings.

EDIT: On second thought, maybe the list should be removed.

Clipper

RJFerret, I'm sorry, but you are wrong.

No need to be sorry, my view can't be wrong anyway obviously, but it's easy to see for oneself; of course there are a couple exceptions (which might be what you were criticizing me for), as there always would be, but it's the nature of averages, particularly when you have a mix of people voting with a bias for more mission creation.

There is a clear correlation with quality.

Were that true, then missions like Flakebridge Monastery and your own Glenham Tower (among others), included in top five picks by multiple people, would not be so far below missions in your tally list that are not mentioned once in this thread. (Heck, there are others listed here way down at the bottom of your list.)

Please don't believe your own list, or that there's a correlation between poll votes and quality, your missions are better than it makes them out to be.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Please don't believe your own list, or that there's a correlation between poll votes and quality, your missions are better than it makes them out to be.

Heh. That is a nice way to disagree.

Anyhow, I did say that the numbers should not be examined too carefully. The list is rough, but still presents the community's favourites.

• Like 1

Clipper

As the amount of missions for TDM is relatively low (in comparision to thief for example), I would suggest to play them all and than build your own opinion. ;)

In other words, this thread is senseless. What would be much more useful for us mappers would be if we get told why this missions are good, and why other missions are not, so we can do it better next time.

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

As the amount of missions for TDM is relatively low (in comparision to thief for example), I would suggest to play them all and than build your own opinion mission. ;)

And here's my advice. :ph34r:

• Like 4

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 1 month later...

I haven't really played a dud yet, though before I started I also scoured this forum to see which ones were considered the "best" by the community. So I'm probably avoiding a lot of more average missions.

Right now for me - at about 10 missions in - my list is Requiem, a gap, then a bunch of others clustered together. Glenham, Alberic's, Score to Settle, and maybe 1-2 others would populate the list, but I also know that I haven't played enough levels to really know for sure.

Edited by Digi

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

• 2 months later...

1. Ulysses - Genesis

2. TP4 - The Transaction

3. WS1 - In the North

4. St Albans Cathedral

5. The Alchemist

Honorable Mention:

- Nhat Campaign (for great overall gameplay)

- A night to remember (for awesome theme and atmosphere)

- Requiem (for great mapping and for the huge amount of work/effort put into it)

- The heart of lone salvation (felt closest to the design of the original games)

• 2 weeks later...

Requiem

A House Of Locked Secrets
Penny Dreadful 2 - All The Way Up
William Steele 2 - Home Again
William Steele 1 - In The North

Honourable mention: No Honour Among Thieves

Edited by Deadlove