The Dark Mod Forums

Pick your Top 5 TDM Missions

Springheel

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm 24 missions deep, and have tried to hit a lot of the "best" ones listed here and eslewhere. As it stands, my top 5:

Top 5 (in order):

Requiem

TP1: Knighton Manor

TP3: Glenham Tower

Return to the City

Alberic’s Curse

Honorable Mentions:

TP6: Lich Queen’s Demise

A Reputation to Uphold

WS1: In the North

A Score to Settle

There are many others I've enjoyed as well, but listing everything would defeat the purpose. But really, there have only been 1-2 that I didn't enjoy, since there's so much good work in the community.

Many thanks to these mappers and others for all the work. TDM community is really cool, and I'm glad to have found it. I'm taking a break from playing for a while now, but I'll be back at some point with the eventual hope of playing all FMs for TDM.

Edited by Digi

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really surprised not to see the William Steele series in these lists. I thought by far

it was one of the best missions I'd played. The story was excellent, and is the only

one that really engaged me.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Almost everyone list at least one of them. You may read more carefully ;)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

If you're talkng about the OP, it's about 3years old...those weren't released at the time.

If you're talkng about the OP, it's about 3years old...those weren't released at the time.

Ahh this explains things. :)

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Lol, Tears of Saint Lucia... It was the second map out for TDM right? Its really a masterpiece, since some time ago a Classic mission and now included in the Mod. Thats the way to go!

What ever happened with the first demo map? It was a simple, cave travel to a mansion, but I never saw it completed. At the time, it was the only mission

to play in TDM until mappers started making some. This was back in the day when lockpicking was being debated over (wow that was a great debate lol).

Ven

Requiem

William Steele 2 - Home Again

William Steele 1 - In The North

Tears of St Lucia

Thomas Porter 5 - Phrase Book

Loved the whole Willian Steele series, and the Thomas Porter series. So hard to pick just five.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Since i like city maps the most here is my top 5 city maps.

-tears of saint lucia - everybody should do this one. its like training mission in real mission.

-return to the city - i think by far the best mission i ever played. lots of climbing, lots of object manipulation, lots of secrets. and map looks really really good + you have a map of a mission

-in remembrance of him - it is different than usual thief mission, but in positive way. not very big map and not very long one, but lots of climbing and city looks really good

-no honor amongst thiefs - still the only campaign and a good one.

- penny dreadful 2 all the way up - very good city map, lots of climbing, and different approach

suggest you also try mandrasola and lockdown pt1. as for non city maps

-one step too far - because map on a ship is always good

-pandoras box - because map on airship is really funny. besides its short so it wont take you much time.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I haven't played enough yet to choose 5, but for anyone else new to the game and wondering what to play, here's the results I've tallied of this thread.

Tier 1 (most popular):

Tears of St Lucia (19) [i greatly enjoyed this one]

A Score to Settle (14)

Glenham (12) [i greatly enjoyed this one]

Tier 2 (extremely popular):

Return to the City (11)

Knighton Manor (10) [i really enjoyed this one]

Heart of Lone Salvation (10)

Flakebridge Monastary (10)

Alberic's Curse (10)

Tier 3 (very popular):

No Honor Among Thieves (9)

St Albans (8)

In the North (8)

Requiem (7)

Fiasco (7)

Tier 4 (popular):

Transaction (5)

Mandrasola (4)

Lords & (4) [i loved this one, and guess it isn't higher because it's newer]

Home Again (4)

Trapped! (3)

Phrase Book (3)

House of Theo (3)

Caduceus (3)

Builder's Influence (3)

Tier 5 (mentioned twice):

Ulysses

Somewhere above the City

Penny 2

Betrayal

Alechmist

Edited by Talksintext
  • Like 2

Many of those votes are years old, before several excellent missions had even been released. I don't think those results can be considered accurate.

WHAT?! MY MAPS ARE NOT ON THE LIST?

That's it I'm quiting mapping forever now, bye guys!

• Like 4

Seeing as the original vote was started more than three years ago, someone should really think about making a new one.

Seeing as the original vote was started more than three years ago, someone should really think about making a new one.

I would say a yearly one would make sense (top 2014/2015/etc FM) but even then seeing at how little this thread gets used its probably pointless.

Yeah, I think this poll was useful only because it made the case for the inclusion of Saint Lucia in the download package as the official mission, due to its popularity (to ensure you get to play a strong and well liked mission out of the box). There were fears that newcomers could get turned off and leave if they were to play subpar missions and come to the conclusion that all maps were of the same quality, so a kind of ranking system or tag for "community picks" were discussed. I disagree with all of it. First, there was never a single subpar mission, as far as Im aware. All the ones I played were interesting in their own ways. Its not like this is doom2 or something with millions of maps, a good number of them so amateurish they hurt. And second, this is a free game with free missions, just play them all man, you'll find your own favourites. Also, why cant they drop by the forum or take a look at the site and research a mission for 5 minutes? Doesnt sound like a lot of trouble to me...

Edited by RPGista

I always thought it might be a cool idea at the end of the year to have a vote for the best FM of the year, or maybe best in a category depending on how many FMs are released. I remember recommending that over at TTLG but the idea never really took off. I still think it might be a cool idea though.

• Like 2

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 1 month later...

Having played pretty much every FM available right now, this is my top 5 I'd say:

1: WS1: In the North.

2: Requiem

3: The Lich Queen's Demise (really the entire Porter series is good but some of them are far better than others)

4: Lords & Legacy

5: WS2: Home Again

1 year and 4 months later, I'd have to say it now looks like this:

1. A House of Locked Secrets

2. WS1: In the North

3: Requiem

4: Ulysses: Genesis

5: Penny Dreadful 2: All the Way Up

I could name a bunch more missions I really liked as well, but that's my top 5 now as of mid-2015.

Shifted quite a bit due to new releases. One thing I think I can say about TDM mission releases compared to Thief mission releases is that the average quality of missions is much higher even if most missions are only small to medium sized. I think just about all of the authors have put out great stuff, and I've noticed that bikerdude usually helps out especially with newer mission creators so that probably has quite a lot to do with the quality bar being set so high. Real pillar of the community guy there.

Really great game community here from what I've casually observed being just a player who enjoys this genre. Shame there doesn't seem to be more player interest in it but it could just be the genre being niche since most people don't like to spend 1-3 hours sneaking and exploring through areas and uncovering things, I suppose. It's not in your face action, quick-paced and easy to pickup, though there's nothing wrong with what it is for those who like the genre.

• Like 4

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So far I like all of the missions that are available, but here are the 5 I keep coming back to.

5.) Knighton Manor - Nothing like a well rounded heist mission to practice your ghost playthroughs on.

4.) Flakebridge Monastery - Reminds me a lot of the Haunted Cathedral, loved the atmosphere.

3.) Quinn Co. - Incredibly satisfying to pull of a bank heist right under the guards noses. Buying equipment drop points and paying off employees for tips in the menu was clever.

2.) Ulysses 2 - Sometimes you have to take a break from the non lethal playthroughs to become the harbinger of God's wrath and slay some faceless heretics, it's understandable. Good design and story.

1.) Penny Dreadful 2: All the Way Up - Excellent use of verticallity. Loved the thought of still being able to lower the property value of an entire neighborhood even after getting the crap beaten out of me and thrown off a bridge.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A Score to Settle
Mandrasola
Glenham Tower
Tears of Saint Lucia
William Steele 1, 2 & 3

Oh honourable mentions... Penny Dreadfuls & Patently Dangerous

Edited by NeonsStyle
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

1. NHAT 2

2. TP5

3. NHAT 3

4. Coercion

5. TP6

HMs: NHAT1, TP2

NHAT is easily the best and most polished campaign available right now, other than maybe William Steele (which I haven't played yet). Every mission is good, the only real pratfall is the puzzle in NHAT 3 which is skippable for a small HP cost, and particularly impressive is the way it manages to have a proper difficulty curve over only three maps. I saw that a couple years ago, there was some talk of including it in the package like Lucia, and I'd be entirely in favor of that. TP's high points are at a similar level of quality, but it's inconsistent IMO. Coercion is probably the single most polished TDM mission I've seen -- it's insanely smooth and well playing -- but its limited scope keeps it down the list a bit. It would be perfect as the opening mission for a campaign, though.

EDIT: Just tried WS1, and it makes me feel pretty confident in my list above. I don't know how many of WS1's issues are version changes (I suspect the non-frobbable objects on guard belts are the result of this) and how much of it is just bad design (no-kill requirements on all difficulties are always a bad idea, and I'm not certain but I suspect the invisible-low-ceiling-in-an-area-with-a-platforming-puzzle issues aren't version related), but either way, it's no where near the caliber of NHAT or the better parts of the TP series.

Edited by Cynical

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...