The Dark Mod Forums

Silly ideas

DeTeEff

I got an idea that was plain silly but I would like to share it anyway so I started this thread where everyone (if there's someone as silly as me) could post them, plain humour :)

Got myself a Samsung Galaxy SII today and when roaming around the apps, I thought about how cool it would be to have an DarkRadiant app :D My thoughts went instantly to tvtropes.org ---> http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CoolButInefficient

I cannot believe it would be impossible in the future to be able to perform such tasks in the phone, but the problem is the size and unpractical interface. Then a tablet would work much better, but that's not as cool.

So come on, post your stupid ideas!

Got myself a Samsung Galaxy SII today and when roaming around the apps, I thought about how cool it would be to have an DarkRadiant app :D My thoughts went instantly to tvtropes.org --->

I've no silly ideas at present, but just wanted to congratulate you for your good taste. I bought the same phone last week. It is quite an amazing device. I don't read paper books anymore, but ebooks on my phone. Internet is fast as a lightning and the screen is big enough to look good but small enough to carry. What would people need a tablet for?

More on the topic: Well, you can play old games like monkey islands on your phone, so maybe one day TDM will run in a cell phone. Let's see if Moore's law bends that far...

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I'd like a 3d camera that can take a photo of an object and then convert it into a low-poly mesh with textures.

That reminds me of a few cool ideas that people have had where the tech just isn't quite there yet, but when it gets there you can imagine it making a splash. I think about Augmented Reality, where your cellphone or pad camera augments the real world scenery -- and people & objects for that matter -- with a digital overlay that you can interact with, and it all fits together seamlessly & dynamically as you and others walk around. So then you can have like an entire fantasy NYC to walk around in, and people have avatar skins on.

Edit: I was getting some of the lightweight TDM FMs to run on my 11" netbook with a playable FPS and taking it out to play at cafes. The thing is so tiny it's just a nudge above pad-sized as it is.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Well a long time ago, I have started a map called "Square Town" the city was square, all the houses, tables, chairs and even apples and beds (you could say the idea of minecraft is stolen form me :-P)

The story behind it was that you have heard that there is something "round" in the City and your goal is it to steal that awesome thing (which is a gold coin^^)

too bad I have lost the file long ago... :-(

edit: candles were square too but they gave very strange shadows, back then, I did not even know how to properly set nodraw

edit2: I was browsing throu some old hdds, thought maybe I can still find it but it seems its lost... but i have found another small old map I could never finish...

Unbenannt1.jpg

Unbenannt-1.jpg

Edited by Sonosuke

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

I'd like a 3d camera that can take a photo of an object and then convert it into a low-poly mesh with textures.

I remember stuff like that being done with the Kinect and multiple Kinects working together, except even lower quality than you might want.

I want a Kinect PC application that lets me motion-capture animations on TDM's proguard AI rig.

You will have to make that yourself ;-) http://www.kinectforwindows.org/

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

I think Microsoft SDK is the only (really working) one at the moment that you can really use but you could use your own I think. Dont know much about that, sorry

Pictures of map

I don't understand why all screenshots I see from peoples work places only use one ortho view...Nothing wrong with that but myself I find it easier and more convenient to have the screen divided into a cross with all the four views...

Well I saw a guy who took the audio hardware out of an SNES and made a "music box" by soldering it in a box with a battery and attaching a parallel port. He was able to use it to play tracker music and the like by transferring tunes over the parallel interface. It was also "mobile", able to be connected to a stereo via RCA cables.

The guy must be an engineer to fabricate a machine like that. I wonder if he soldered in more RAM, because the SNES hardware originally only had 64 KB for audio and could only sample at up to 32 KHz (just shy of CD quality).

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I don't understand why all screenshots I see from peoples work places only use one ortho view...Nothing wrong with that but myself I find it easier and more convenient to have the screen divided into a cross with all the four views...

Oh, no I cant work like that. That was just a quick startup to see whats in those map files. Normally DR looks like that:

Unbenannt-2.jpg

I did not start DR in over a year...

Well I saw a guy who took the audio hardware out of an SNES and made a "music box" by soldering it in a box with a battery and attaching a parallel port. He was able to use it to play tracker music and the like by transferring tunes over the parallel interface. It was also "mobile", able to be connected to a stereo via RCA cables.

^^ I want to see that

Edited by Sonosuke

This is an upgraded version he made that also has a VU meter and SPDIF audio outputs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm9TLXRWUOY

I particularly like the creativity of using an amplifier/volume control from one of those old CD-ROM drives.

Check out the first tune, the one at 5:50 and 7:15 to hear what this hardware could do back in the day. It could produce PCM music without sounding scratchy like the Genesis. I'm sure the Amiga was capable of much nore though.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I remember stuff like that being done with the Kinect and multiple Kinects working together, except even lower quality than you might want.

One Kinect is basically sufficient, as it comes with a low resolution Time-of-Flight camera that measures distances and a high resolution color camera. Apparently high resolution Time-of-Flight cameras are still in the scope of research, so the available technology won't be sufficient for your application. However engineers have a vision to create a camera that captures the color-triplets plus depth simultaneously. Maybe we'll see that one day, but until then, your best chance at capturing high resolution depth accurately is done by means of a stereo-camera-setup. The displacement of objects in the captured images can be analyzed and used to reconstruct the depth of each pixel. Methods performing this task are prone to errors though, so combining them with other depth estimation techniques is likely to improve the results a lot. I am in fact working on a computervision-project at the moment, which deals with exactly this problem. My vision is to emulate the depth reconstruction of the human visual system by combining multiple methods for estimating depth from different depth cues, based on the statistical reliability of those cues and their estimators. Let's see how that turns out... :)

I just read an article about the Lytro camera which is pretty cool. It bills itself as capturing the entire light field, not just the direct image that falls on the sensors, so the idea is you take the picture and *then* you focus it afterwards, and it will modulate the whole field so you can bring whatever part you want into focus, or focus different regions separately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDyRSYGcFVM

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Oh yeah, lightfield cameras. Forgot about those. You can also use them to estimate depth in a similar fashion as the accomodation (adjustment of focal width) in the human visual system does. I had already asked my boss if we could get one of those, but apparently he declined... :( There are sooo many interesting technological gadgets! :)

This is an upgraded version he made that also has a VU meter and SPDIF audio outputs.

I particularly like the creativity of using an amplifier/volume control from one of those old CD-ROM drives.

Check out the first tune, the one at 5:50 and 7:15 to hear what this hardware could do back in the day. It could produce PCM music without sounding scratchy like the Genesis. I'm sure the Amiga was capable of much nore though.

That was awesome! I wonder if he is going to sell me one.

I'm going to regress back to my childhood when every video game idea was great...

I was visiting my high school during this holiday vacation, and got talking with my old calculus teacher. He's really big into geocaching ever since he got a smartphone with GPS. And I have been getting back into playing XCOM: UFO Defense in my spare time. We put our heads together and came up with a silly idea:

Combine geocaching with MMO games. For the sake of ease, let's call this prototype GeoCOM. There's some crypto-alien-invasion of earth a'la XCOM, and players of GeoCOM will be able to

• Shoot down UFOs, and defend against ground invaders within X square miles around their GPS coordinates (coords gathered from a smartphone or other GPS device).
  • GeoCOM players within X square miles of each other can join forces and be better able to defend their location (power or radius-wise).
  • If many, many players reside within X square miles (very urban areas) this can unlock capabilities such as creating a makeshift "base" (research base, military base).
  • Those that live in rural areas nowhere nearby other GeoCOM players are able to create other "bases" (aircraft runways/naval bases, supply farms, supply lines).
  • If a player (or group of players) feels adventurous, he can go running after a nearby UFO on a bike, scooter, car, running shoes, etc.
  • The world is constantly grinding away in real-time whether you're playing or not. If a player is logged out, his base goes dark. Aliens cannot detect or attack a "dark" base, and players nearby a "dark" base earn a very small bonus to defense power.

GeoCOM.PNG

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I got an idea that was plain silly but I would like to share it anyway so I started this thread where everyone (if there's someone as silly as me) could post them, plain humour :)

Got myself a Samsung Galaxy SII today and when roaming around the apps, I thought about how cool it would be to have an DarkRadiant app :D My thoughts went instantly to tvtropes.org ---> http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CoolButInefficient

I cannot believe it would be impossible in the future to be able to perform such tasks in the phone, but the problem is the size and unpractical interface. Then a tablet would work much better, but that's not as cool.

So come on, post your stupid ideas!

I had a similar idea but for the game and not for the editor. I think smartphones are too small for real gaming but imagine playing The Dark Mod on a tablet. Just finished GTA 3 for iPad 2 and it was really good! Controls worked fine and performance was awesome. Ok, TDM may not work on current generation Tablets but what about 2-3 years in the future? Imagine the popularity being in the App Store Top 50. More players = more mappers = more missions! I think an editor on a tablet could work fine if done right. If someone does the coding (which is quite hard I imagine) I would "create" an GUI. But I think the workload is too high for such a project at the moment?!

Edit: Imagine Infinity Blade like sword fights in TDM :).