The Dark Mod Forums

Opinions

Shadowhide

bubbububbbuu dadddadada

Edited by Sonosuke

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

why do you like them ?

I absolutely adored Too Late, it was the first mission I remember playing that was small, tight gameplay lots of guards and straight forward. Knighton Manor is also a great mission, regular mansion thieving with a twist, and some nice visuals to boot.

The question is; why don't you like them? Then again I don't think anyone cares to know that answer anymore.

• Like 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

why do you like them ?

Both have interesting and challenging (but not frustrating) AI placement and layout. I had fun playing them.

They're not perfect, especially if you compare them to the best Thief 1/2 FMs but I'm sure missions will get even better in the future. How many of the first 50 Thief FMs would you call really great?

what a rotten way to post your opinion

ITT, pot calling kettle black.

Edit: visual explanation for non-native English speakers:

53vkh1.jpg

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Omg! Another bash/praise KM thread. Hilarious!

Oh, well, since this thread is here...

I'd like to use this opportunity to:

a ) warmly welcome everyone with opinions about KM to post about it in the KM thread. That's what the original KM thread was created for. To announce the mission and receive comments. There is not much point to shatter KM discussion about all over the forum in zillion threads. The official KM thread is over here:

http://forums.thedar...post__p__236702

b ) point any newbies here - who are wondering what is fuss is about - to grab the KM mission and try it out yourself! I'm pretty confident that you will not be totally disappointed by the mission.

Have fun!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Can someone delete these unneccessary, practically monosyllabic threads SH is throwing up over the last week please?

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Can someone delete these unneccessary, practically monosyllabic threads SH is throwing up over the last week please?

+1

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Quiet you. I'm enjoying Demagogue's heiroglyphic responses B)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Quiet you. I'm enjoying Demagogue's heiroglyphic responses B)

Curiously, our language has almost the same idiomatic expression, but it goes like this:

Pata kattilaa soimaa – musta kylki kummallakin ("The pot reproaches the kettle – black is the side of each")

I think we are very close learning somethng fundamental about human nature. Or, well, about certain individuals.. :D

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

To be fair, if there were more detail about what these two missions have in common (other than ShadowHide's unspecified distaste for them) this might

be a valid topic.

I will say that Too Late is a small and simple mission but immerses the player by virtue of the practical layout of the enclosed harbor and shipping areas.

In many ways both missions portray "down to earth" realistic scenarios that put the player in more of a "Sim" role than something more cinematic.

Knighton Manor does diverge into a more cinematic mode as you progress but it's core strength is how much you feel you are really the Theif rather

than helping a fictional avatar complete his story.

The Theif games have taken pains to make the player feel like a role-player who is living vicariously through the actions of Garret (becoming Garret),

in these missions perhaps more than others, we are left to feel the stark immediacy of "being there as yourself". A simulation.

Perhaps ShadowHide is uncomfortable being himself? (where's a pop-psychology pundit when you need one)

His own mission and his attraction to my mission -- the guy has good taste; what can I say -- put him in a category of liking more storytelling FMs, and missions that make some kind of comment or reflect back on the world, particularly if it's a harsh reflection, and a certain aesthetic style that goes with that, with the lighting & mission flow. It's the kind of mission I like too. He just doesn't need to troll about it or go after other missions.

People have different sensibilities and the best way to promote your sensibility is to develop it on its own merit. It reminds me of this story: youtube/watch?v=EJQ4vCu-S0U, where David Lynch turns down George Lucas's request to direct Return of the Jedi. People have different senibilities and it's okay.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

In many ways both missions portray "down to earth" realistic scenarios that put the player in more of a "Sim" role than something more cinematic.

Good observation. That's part of what I like about both of them, that you're put in a realistic, believable situation and given lots of options about how to proceed (well, more so in KM). They also force you to observe the AI in order to plan your next move.

I hate KM and TL because there isn't any scripted conversations and there is no boss battle with fire arrows at the end.

I'd shoot you for that comment but then I would fail my "No Kill" objective :laugh:

Sir Taffsalot, you made me laugh so hard :laugh:

But nevertheless, I don't think the topic is invalid. He wants to use this thread to compare both missions and to understand what people like about them so much. Maybe he's going to plan his next TDM mission?

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager