The Dark Mod Forums

VTM : Bloodlines

Shadowhide

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome game even without the patch, better with it. Wish Troika had been able to spend more time on it though, the final bosses suck.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

It was fun. Felt unpolished, even with the patch. But it was so cool it was easy to forgive.

I wish they made more games like it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Bloodline is indeed one of the finest hyprid game experience out there. Soaked with atmosphere, depth, great AI personas. And a good use of the RPG rules in a CRPG as well! ... major studios don't make such games anymore these days like Troika did...

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

Question, how many endings do you remember? Some people don't realize there is more than one ending.

It's been a while but ... I only remember 2.

(Obviously don't look at the spoiler if you haven't played it and don't want to know...)

You go to LaCroix's penthouse & confront him, then you can either (1) open the coffin & get tosated, or (2) not open it, leave, and be all cool walking past the other vampires. Needless to say #2 is my preferred way to finish it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I love the music and the story with all its characters. It's dark, deceitful and beautifully honest; nobody loves you and in the end you're just a guppy in a shark tank. The game itself is probably overrated particularly by the same types that lament the consolization of their favorite games. Personally I felt the city hubs had a strong grand theft auto vibe that I couldn't shake and I couldn't stand that melee combat was in 3rd person only and finally in the end I was forced to willingly make decisions that I wouldn't have made.

I love these two songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onOr_E_HpEE&feature=related

I liked the hubs. I like games where much of the world is all open right off, but you have to make things happen in that world with conversations and interactions and figuring things out that have been there the whole time. That's the connection with Deus Ex I liked, and wanted to see in more games.

The GTA vibe you're talking about though reminds me of 'braindead' spawned AI walking around and the feeling that the hub world isn't as "real" and is a bit gamey, and I got that feeling too. It's not like our FMs where every AI & NPC you see you know is a "real person" with some intelligence and there for a reason, which I like. But of course VTM:B needs the braindead AI for the player to bloodsuck & scare -- they're part of the gameplay -- so it's understandable... But anyway it counters that with having lots of scripted NPCs you can talk to and are very real, which I really liked.

The conversation system was amazing, especially if you'd been speccing into Intimidate, Seduction, Persuasion, or some combo of the three. To expand on my earlier point about the final bosses sucking, non-combat skills should have still been viable all the way through, then again I guess that's the same issue people had DX:HR... either that or the developers intended you to be at least somewhat proficient in combat, making use of your vampiric powers I'd suppose, but still... one can only mourn lost opportunities, and hope the modding scene comes to the rescue with that community patch.

i have community patch,but where i can get info about latest versions ?

and...how they were made ? there is no SDK

-

i agree, dialog system is damn good,every character is unique and interesting (like ex-supermodel turned to an ugly nosferatu vampire ect.),but i think some quest is too long...for example i was bored from searching nosferatu hideout in severs

anyway,Bloodlines is one of my favourite games along with Thief,Deus Ex and some others

Proceed with caution!

I use the Steam forums to track the releases, as of today a new version beta has come out, version 7.9. As far as an SDK goes, the engine is Source (the game was actually delayed to let HL2 come out first), so if you can build with the Source SDK you could map/mod for VtM:B

Edited by Xarg

I'm pretty sure you'd need to start a new game to avoid conflicts caused by changes to the content of the patch. As far as editing goes, can't help you there, I'd assume it's just whatever is used to mod Source stuff, though it probably wouldn't hurt to ask Wesp5 what his team uses.

The conversation system was amazing, especially if you'd been speccing into Intimidate, Seduction, Persuasion, or some combo of the three. To expand on my earlier point about the final bosses sucking, non-combat skills should have still been viable all the way through, then again I guess that's the same issue people had DX:HR... either that or the developers intended you to be at least somewhat proficient in combat, making use of your vampiric powers I'd suppose, but still... one can only mourn lost opportunities, and hope the modding scene comes to the rescue with that community patch.

You can avoid (most of) the sewers in the latest clan quest mod. A bit too obvious, but really needed.

@shadowhide: dialogs are easy to change, very easy dialog system with embeeded python scripting (the final evolution of the fallout 1 system; Fallout 1 & 2 -> arcanum -> ToEE -> bloodlines).

Maps are harder and has only been possible recently due to different HL2 version (read the whole thread for the last, first post is not updated because it's not editable)

Edited by i30817

Might i suggest the malkavian clan? Nosferatu is nice for clan specific content too, but can get tedious if you're not a expert AI avoider (which a thief fan would be i guess) - specifically; getting "too near" a non-voiced npc (bot) by the front leads to masquerade breaches - it's not like you can't talk to people, and in fact, that is the major reason to play nosfearatu; to hear the "ugly" clan specific dialog. The game says to travel by sewers but that is boring and unecessary.

Clan quest also introduces 4 or so new quests to all clans - i'd suggest not installing the compmod and any skin from the installer, leaving only the clanquest, 7.9 UP+, camarilla edition and the loader new screens (that replace the hideous camarilla edition ones).

Compmod has nice ideas, but flawed execution (even in the cut down state incorporated in the clanquest mod). Specificially, the companions are inherently buggy due to the way elevators, AI and map entries work.

Weather you want to install the difficulty mods depends on your masochism. Camarilla edition also makes the game harder (you lose blood with time, and low blood actually damages health) and easier (if you micromanage obsessivily, you can optimize your builds with the "college", besides what you can do in the normal game with the skill books and the npc teachers).

BTW the last clan quest has non-combat alternatives/quests to two combat parts of the game. Both need some polishing, but they're very nice ideas already.

Finally; let me call your attention to the console; not to cheat (much) but to adapt a clan to your favorite disciplines: you can buy a discipline once and it is added as a new discipline including with the 10pts initial buy cost to be actually able to use it (don't do this with tremere).

So for instance you can take a malkavian, sell blood heal (cheating par-excellence, removing this makes the game 60% harder) and then buy celerity (and one other say; thaumaturgy). Also; thaumaturgy is special i found; it is used as a lowlevel dominate for clan tremere in dialogs (Ventrue have more dominate options, but any clan can have the tremere ones by adding thaumaturgy or possibly Ventrue ones with dominate).

This actually may make your end character have less "full" dots: remember there is no grinding in this game; so only so much dots can be aquired, modulo order optimization with the books and teachers, and in the case of the college, exchanging money for dots in the "skills" section. Since books, teachers and the college target this (the middle row in the character sheet), you may want to reserve the actual experience to either of the physical or disciplines ones.

There is a limit of one aditional disciple (or more if you remove others - like blood heal or blood buff - though blood buff is too useful to lockpick to be easily discarded).

Edited by i30817

That kinda makes it sound like playing Caitiff in VtM:Redemption... might have to give this stuff a try.

If you do, either skip the tutorial or noclip through the disciplines part or do it after that part. It doesn't crash or anything, but the game will not let you continue if you don't use the clan disciplines so if you sell obfuscate off (tits on a stealth pig) you'll not be able to pass that part without noclip or getting it again.

Also do this at the start of the game and then show restraint; adding whatever points you want whenever you want kills the "role" part of the rpg.

vstats sell corpus_vampirus (x2) sells blood buff

vstats sell blood_healing (x2) sells blood healing

vstats buy celerity (or whatever) x2 buys you a discipline with a dot (like the others at the beginning), if you do it only once you'll have to buy a "initial cost" of 10 exp to get the first.

Kinda makes you think they wanted to add getting new disciplines in the original game doesn't it?

Why is it that it's the good games that are buggy and rushed?

My malkavian in my current playthrough has:

auspex, celerity, fortitude, dementation, thaumaturgy (tremere dominate dialog options), animalism - though i don't expect that i will be able to fill more than two. I also edited in the possibility of adding the blunt fangs history to all clans because i like immersive cheating like that and it's fucking unfair that the nosferatu get it and other clans not (+1 exp every four).

BTW, Camarilla edition changed most disciplines and their effects, check the descriptions in the char sheet. Also changed is research too. It's been made more important as it will affect persuation too.

Edited by i30817