The Dark Mod Forums

Arrow Sounds

Springheel

I forget where it was, but someone mentioned that they missed hearing arrows whiz by them like they do in T2. You'll be pleased to know that new bow/arrow sounds have been added to 1.08, including the sound of them whizzing by. :)

• Like 2

Now we just need a sound for an arrow to the knee.

So, the head of an arrow punching through the kneecap and a person wailing in agony? :laugh:

(... I honestly don't know what that joke is all about.)

But the arrow flyby is something that totally went over my head (no pun intended).

I never noticed it before now... :huh:

But I'm happy it's getting added!

I remember that sound from T2 and it's a rush to hear them whizz by.

So, the head of an arrow punching through the kneecap and a person wailing in agony? :laugh: (... I honestly don't know what that joke is all about.)

You probably haven't played Skyrim yet then. :laugh: Practically every 3rd guard or so says "I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee." It's ridiculously common. They can't *all* have had the same injury! Then people started using that phrase everywhere as an in-joke.

Here's a funny video on it. Note that it's had 8 million views in just the last 2 weeks -- youtube.com / watch?v=mSDfxde8fSg

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

You probably haven't played Skyrim yet then. :laugh: Practically every 3rd guard or so says "I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee." It's ridiculously common. They can't *all* have had the same injury! Then people started using that phrase everywhere as an in-joke.

Here's a funny video on it. Note that it has 8 million views in just the last 2 weeks -- youtube.com / watch?v=mSDfxde8fSg

My main character is on about 40 hours now, and I know what you're referring to. I'm saying I didn't get what was so funny. But since you told me just now I guess it's a "chuckle chuckle" kind of funny, but not nearly as funny as the rest of the world makes it out to be. The way we've all heard about it iterated through and through it sounds like it would be the best thing since sliced bread. ;)

Also, I'm sure there's a better way to find out about this but... Do bow & arrow guards work correctly now? Anybody want to tell me, or yell at me to look it up elsewhere?

I remember that sound from T2 and it's a rush to hear them whizz by.

Here's a funny video on it. Note that it's had 8 million views in just the last 2 weeks -- youtube.com / watch?v=mSDfxde8fSg

Ah, that is where it comes from. I used to play computer games, but then I got a life:

:D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

nice! Thanks SH.

now what about some equipment and cloak sounds :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNTeiJzzQGk

I'm talking about the sounds at the begining of the vid.

Hm, yeah, I think it is a bit overdone in this video, but it *could* work. For instance the more equipment/loot you have, the more "cling" it goes, coupled with the walk speed. That means as you progress through the mission, the harder it becomes. Would add anew whole dimension like "do I take the winebottles now, or just leave them and get them on my way out?"

(also, if some of the "rustle+cling sounds onlyplay when you jump, then it would also add more depth. Esp. because I think right now guards only hear you land, but not start the jump. So you can jump totally silent from a balcony (correct me please if I am wrong).

It should still be subtle, but would add more immersion IMO.

Unrelated question: Do we have the "gasp" sound when the player emerges from under water?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I never noticed it before now... :huh:

It's amazing how many things I didn't notice either. Did you realize that AI bodies are completely silent when they fall or you dump them somewhere? Never even noticed this until a couple weeks ago, but this will also be fixed in 1.08.

Oh, there will be lots of sound improvements for 1.08. :) Over the last few weeks I've gone through and tested every one of our 460+ movable entities, and for each one:

1. Gave it a good default impact sound (I've added nearly 200 sound files, made from recordings by Mortem, Noisycricket, Amita, as well as using Freesound.org and resampling/layering Doom3 sounds).

2. Tested it on carpet, dirt, and wood surfaces, and if necessary created alternate sounds for those surfaces.

It's encouraging that little things like this keep getting added to the mod! =-)

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Hey this is beautiful, awesome work! Funny thing is, I was reading a post just now from 2005 where you guys were saying that AI falling sounds would indeed be implemented (not just the weapons falling sounds, but the whole body), I guess they were just forgotten then! :) I would also ask if you guys ended up making lockpicking audible to AI around you, (specially the fail sound, I would presume)? In my experience, you can lockpick a chest literally next to someone, open it (with its rusty hinges sounds playing all the way) and they wont hear you. I think at least the "fail sound" should be audible from a short distance (on a circle I mean, from both sides of a door)?

Those impact sounds are going to be really welcomed!

Edited by RPGista

Oh, there will be lots of sound improvements for 1.08. :) Over the last few weeks I've gone through and tested every one of our 460+ movable entities, and for each one:

1. Gave it a good default impact sound (I've added nearly 200 sound files, made from recordings by Mortem, Noisycricket, Amita, as well as using Freesound.org and resampling/layering Doom3 sounds).

2. Tested it on carpet, dirt, and wood surfaces, and if necessary created alternate sounds for those surfaces.

that's cool! :)

Hm, yeah, I think it is a bit overdone in this video, but it *could* work. For instance the more equipment/loot you have, the more "cling" it goes, coupled with the walk speed. That means as you progress through the mission, the harder it becomes. Would add anew whole dimension like "do I take the winebottles now, or just leave them and get them on my way out?"

(also, if some of the "rustle+cling sounds onlyplay when you jump, then it would also add more depth. Esp. because I think right now guards only hear you land, but not start the jump. So you can jump totally silent from a balcony (correct me please if I am wrong).

It should still be subtle, but would add more immersion IMO.

Unrelated question: Do we have the "gasp" sound when the player emerges from under water?

I think more equipment -> more cling is too much. It makes me think more equipment -> slow movement etc.

Yeah player jumps without any sound and if you land with mantling or crouching again no sound! There should be some rustle or any other kind sounds on these movements imho. :)

gasp sound? If you mean drowning, yes in every pain and death, there's underwater sound for them.

Hey this is beautiful, awesome work! Funny thing is, I was reading a post just now from 2005 where you guys were saying that AI falling sounds would indeed be implemented (not just the weapons falling sounds, but the whole body), I guess they were just forgotten then! :) I would also ask if you guys ended up making lockpicking audible to AI around you, (specially the fail sound, I would presume)? In my experience, you can lockpick a chest literally next to someone, open it (with its rusty hinges sounds playing all the way) and they wont hear you. I think at least the "fail sound" should be audible from a short distance (on a circle I mean, from both sides of a door)?

Those impact sounds are going to be really welcomed!

I feel same, but maybe it's mapper releated?

I would also ask if you guys ended up making lockpicking audible to AI around you, (specially the fail sound, I would presume)?

I think I was the one that brought that up. I'm not entirely sure it's a good idea. An AI would have to be standing right on top of you to hear lockpicking, so it's not likely to ever have a noticable effect--if they're that close, you're already at risk of being bumped into.

Opening doors, on the other hand, probably should make a very small sound to AI. I've done some experiments with that, but there are still some technical hurdles to overcome.

UGH! Please no, don't tell me you used Doom3 sounds? This would prevent a D3 free TDM - plus, we cannot even distribute them with TDM, anyway!

UGH! Please no, don't tell me you used Doom3 sounds? This would prevent a D3 free TDM

That's a little dramatic. Of all the things that might prevent a free TDM, sounds are not very high on the list.

Besides, I said "resampled/layered D3 sounds". If you take a thump from a D3 sound, alter the pitch and tempo, and then layer it in with other Creative Commons sounds, I highly doubt it's covered by copyright even it it could possibly be recognized.

Besides, I said "resampled/layered D3 sounds". If you take a thump from a D3 sound, alter the pitch and tempo, and then layer it in with other Creative Commons sounds, I highly doubt it's covered by copyright even it it could possibly be recognized.

Word. Who cares.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Word. Who cares.

The lawyers will care.

That's a little dramatic. Of all the things that might prevent a free TDM, sounds are not very high on the list.

Apart from being a step backwards for a "D3 free TDM", it also makes TDM infringe on the copyright of id software by violating the license. We can not redistribute any art assets, even if you modify them - and just because you think that creating such a "derative work" and its use are under the "fair use" clause, this will just open up TDM to get a cease and desist letter.

While I am inclined to follow your reasoning of thought, what matters is what the law says, and how it is interpreted by a judge.

Why do we go all to the extreme "bullshit" of not using the word "Garett", but then just take an original file from D3 and mix it up and then redistribute? I cannot imagine that the latter is okay, while the first isn't.

Edit: Here is what id says at https://github.com/TTimo/doom3.gpl:

Doom 3 GPL source release

=========================

This file contains the following sections:

GENERAL NOTES

LICENSE

GENERAL NOTES

=============

Game data and patching:

-----------------------

This source release does not contain any game data, the game data is still

covered by the original EULA and must be obeyed as usual.

And I am pretty sure the original EULA does not allow you to create deritave works from the game data (e.g. sounds or textures) and then use them.

And wether it is in fact a deritave work and fair use is usually something that is established in a long-drawn-out court affair - definitely something we

don't even want to have even if we'd win it.

If you want public-domain "thump"s, I've got plenty of large diaphragm condenser mics. Not to mention Sonar X1 - a real DAW that's not audacity.

Just call on me. :mellow: You can even refer to the reference sound if you want a close imitation.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Intentionally re-sampling D3 sounds is copying them. It's not fair use or incidental use. It would be a derivative of that original work, and subject to copyright and licensing and so on.

Copyright law is intended to protect original creative works from being copied - not give folk wiggle room to copy other people's stuff.

Which obviously sucks if you want to do a big, complicated, free project like TDM and nabbing other people's ready made assets would speed things along - but that's the way it is.

I noticed the lack of sounds for bodies hitting the ground in TDM. Doom 3 had these, but they were hilarious sounding. *makes a clicking sound with his tongue*

Again, Thief 1/2 had this perfect. There were body sounds, but they were just muffled enough so that they didn't sound odd when an AI lands on stone, or wood, or etc.

Also, it is great to hear about more sounds being replaced. I know a lot of sounds like the candles use Doom 3 soda can noises for example.

Only piece of advice I have is this, and please don't take offense to it. A lot of the new sounds are already perfect as they are, like the bottles and stuff. One thing to avoid is re-implementing the same thing over again if it is already good enough. This was what happened to a game called OpenArena. They kept replacing materials which were already just fine, and now due to lack of manpower, they're stuck in development hell with no release in at least two years. See also, DNF.

I don't feel this way about TDM, I just wouldn't want it to fall in the same trap. Hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.