The Dark Mod Forums

Thief Series coming to GOG

Robbeasy

Looks like the Thief series is coming to Good Old Games, according to rumours and speculation.

I would really like that. Good Old Games is doing really a good job re-releasing old classic tailored for modern rigs at reasonable price tags. Thief runs well on my machine with the fixes you can find on ttlg. But many potentional players are put off by any setup odyssey to get old games running on a modern PC.

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

If they can release on GOG that likely means the full source code is in their hands unless they're using community patches. If the game is released on GOG but the source code is not released there will be some torch wielding mobs over at TTLG...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

If they can release on GOG that likely means the full source code is in their hands unless they're using community patches. If the game is released on GOG but the source code is not released there will be some torch wielding mobs over at TTLG...

They were given the full source code 2 years ago. MoroseTroll tracked down a former LGS member who had it in their possession. The former LGS dev then gave it directly to Eidos....at which point Eidos stopped communicating with MoroseTroll and wouldn't tell him if they were trying to open source it to the community or not.

*To clarify. I meant that Eidos was given the source code 2 years ago...not GOG.

its that kind of attitude from software companies that dosent do them ANY favours...

For sure, nor does their heavy handed moderation on their message forum. Actually, it goes beyond heavy handed into grasping at straws and ludicrous. I got sick of it a week or so ago and requested that they remove my account.

What constitutes 'heavy handed'?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I can imagine from their (Eidos management) perspective, it's a legal minefield for a 10 year old game. It'd give them a headache just thinking about it, so they just let it sit and there's no real pressure to make them do otherwise. I don't know if it's worth getting frustrated with what's perfectly expected behavior. I don't blame them for having the headache and wanting to leave it be, but as a fan I dearly wish there was a way to get a viable process going to get it out.

BTW my other favorite game, Hardwar, has this issue too, where the Lead Dev has a copy of the sourcecode sitting on his harddrive, he told everyone he has it, and the company got dismantled and sold and resold and resold over a decade ago so it's not even clear who if anyone even owns the IP anymore, so we wouldn't even know who to petition, and he's still not going to release the source. Now *that* case is frustrating! There is literally not even a process to hope for to get it released. (They have their own open source project like the Open Dark Engine project; not very far along though.) With Thief we at least know who owns the IP, has the source, & has the authority to legally release it, so we at least have a target to vent our frustration.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

What constitutes 'heavy handed'?

Micro-moderating and in my opinion abusing the "Terms of Use" so that deletion of just about any post that doesn't adhere to what you've been told you can and can not say may be justified.

So in the end I asked to have my account deleted.

I created a goodbye thread and said that I just wanted to say farewell to the first forum I had ever joined and that I was leaving because I disagreed with the recent moderating practices.

I did not say anything rude or nasty, I simply stated why I was leaving...politely.

The post was deleted and I was PM'd this by Viktoria.

Rule #16: Do not publicly discuss administrative decisions.

The people who have been chosen to moderate and administrate the forums have the right of closing or deleting any thread they feel is inappropriate. Once a topic is closed, members are not allowed to start new ones with the same topic or to question why a specific thread has been closed.

All questions or remarks regarding closed or deleted threads or any administrative decision must be e-mailed or pm'ed privately to the moderator who performed this action. Any further discussion regarding action taken by a moderator or administrator is to be dealt with through Private Message to the appropriate administrator or moderator, and not on the forums themselves. If it is not obvious which moderator took the action in question, contact one of the administrators. Find the complete list of the forum leaders here.

Now, if I had been specific and opened up a can of worms about specific decisions...I could see why the post would be deleted...however, I did nothing of the sort here. She asked if I wanted to repost my goodbye without the 'offending' comment, but I declined. That was the second post of mine that had been deleted in 24 hours. The first was when I called into question this new 'rule' in the Rants thread of all places. It reads..."Phrases like "they are garbage", "they are acting in a disgraceful manner" and "they are uncaring and disrespecting the fans" and so forth are examples of what is not allowed."

I basically made a post saying, "wait a minute, now we're not allowed to say we feel that a 'company' is acting in a disgraceful manner"? I could understand if it was a personal attack, or a threat against an employee, but this is a generalized statement about someone's feelings for a corporate entity. Anyway, the post was deleted and I was quoted the following.

Rule #10: Do not post anything that is completely derogatory. No slam posting.

We do not tolerate “slam” posts on our forums. By slam posts, we mean posts that make statements such as:

“This product is horrible. No one should buy it!!”

-or-

“This is the worst developer, avoid at all costs!”

These types of posts will be removed. This includes "slam" posts that refer to members, moderators, developers, or games from either Eidos or any of our competitors. This does not mean that people can not have negative feelings about something, just don’t make a post for the sole purpose of bashing something into the ground.

My question was supposedly as slam post.

Others have had similar experiences. I believe Vae was actually the one who said he felt Eidos was behaving in a disgraceful manner and was then perma-banned for it.

I'm all for Moderation, when it's warranted, but the business being carried on over there is just driving away long time forum members. I'm not the only one who has left.

• Like 1

To get back on topic, I don't think this announcement will be the Thief series. The hint is about being a 'Cyperpunk Sleuth', which doesn't fit Thief, but does fit another title I saw rumoured, Omikron: The Nomad Soul. I doubt Omikron would warrant a big announcement all by itself, maybe this will be a multi-title reveal. I'm hoping for Anachronox (also fits the cyperpunk sleuth description), maybe if GOG release this they'll get it working with the latest nVidia OpenGL drivers, which broke the full game (but not the demo weirdly).

Re: NH's experience, yeah I don't like corporate forums for just this reason, and I always felt lukewarm posting over there. Forums only work when there's a completely open atmosphere for expression and moderation is just there to cut out conversation-killing hate or spam (i.e,. to open it *more*, not close it off!). I don't blame you for quitting, but it's a shame they pushed it to that. The one nice thing about their forum is that outsiders post to it, so you have the chance to communicate things to people that wouldn't otherwise see it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I noticed Vae had a posting status of "abandonware" which i assume meant he was leaving, or requested his account to be deleted or something. jtr7 has the same status, was he banned as well?

jtr7 requested that his account be disabled as well...but they gave him the run around and were denying his request because they felt Vae, me, or jtr himself were leading a mass exodus. Heck, they even denied me at first for the same reasons....and said that this was all because of Vae being banned..when in fact I had not heard of Vae's banning until they mentioned it. It's a rather messed up place. They'll delete your posts but they won't delete your account without accusing you of something else.

Haha when jtr7 leaves you know your Thief forum is fucked up one way or another. :laugh:

(Edit: Not actually funny, but still sort of funny.)

It's true if jtr7 leaves, the forum is screwed. Is that mainly in the thiaf 4 forum? I don't go in there period. So, that's why I asked. The cripple burrick, where Peter Smith moderates is the only Eidos Thief forum I go into. A lot of you know Peter, he's helps test, and in that particular forum, I feel...safe? lol.

I understand, the few die hards, myself, Clayman, PeterSmith, you know how it was back in the day. It was thee absolute best place to be, We shared stories, had a great fucking time in there. I actually printed off years ago, threads I thought were worthy of keeping, and kept them. Glad I did. I still visit in there from time to time, it is pretty quiet, I just don't have the heart to leave there. You still get some of the old crowd that do stop in from time to time, I'll always say hello. I won't dare venture into the Thief 4 forum, because of all that BS. She shouldn't be a moderator, period.

"Cyber slueth", I still think it's DX, but yeah I see the Anachronox connection now. Denton wasn't much of a "sleuth" was he? It'd be nice to see Anachronox getting some publicity. It's up in my top 5 or 10 games. If ever a game screamed for a sequel it's that one.

Yeah it's DX:

http://www.gog.com/en/news/introducing_square_enix_on_gog_com

Though for a moment I had a twinkling of hope to get SS1 and SS2 DRM free there. =-<

Would be grand to have Thief Gold and Thief: TMA CD free though - might be the kick in the arse I need to start playing FMs for those games!

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

The hint that finally gave it away to me was when they posted the bar code, and people figured out it encoded coordinates to ... Denton TX.

You know I was seriously starting to consider becoming a new GOG customer and purchasing the original Hitman, and then I read this about GOG's EULA from the GOG forums Deus Ex thread:

[...] we may from time to time during your gameplay collect non-personally identifiable information about your hardware system including how you are using the Software Product [...]

Seriously not interested in software products that phone home. Doom3 phones home, but only to do a key-check AFAIK. This is acceptable. Nothing ambiguous about "how I am using the software product", I think... well... maybe i should read that d3 eula to be sure. But anyways, this sucks.

edit: sweet jesus they have a copy of Return to Zork that works on winXP... I still have the original disc, and I've been trying to make that game work for yeeeearrsss (last time was probably 3 years ago), with 0 success.... maybe I can forgive that little EULA bit to get this.... seriously jonesing on RTZ right now... after all, Who makes games like RTZ? Damn few. And they're aaaalllll dead.

Mayyyybe I can forgive this one time on the EULA....

Edited by ungoliant