The Dark Mod Forums

Screenshot (F12) locks up Doom3

Baddcog

Anyone else have this issue? I've had it for quite awhile. Sometimes I get lucky and get a screen, but it usually has black lines through it. And sometimes it doesn't crash.

But right now I basically have to be prepared to reboot if I want to try and grab a screeny.

5850, newest drivers, Win7 64 Home...

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

1.07 yep, haven't had a crash looking at previews. The screenshot crashes have happened for awhile, but it's hard to say. Maybe as far back as 1.06... I never got that before release for sure. But when it started happening I can't say.

I guess I could look back at my old posts to see when the last screenshot I posted was, if needed, that might at least provide a rougher point of time when it started.

Check your binding for the screenshot button in your .cfg file. It's possible you have it set to screenshot and then some ridiculous resolution or high amount of jitter which takes like 2 minutes for each screenshot. Also is Catalyst AI off

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Alternatively you could use another program (like the free FRAPS trial) to take screenshots, if you're unable to resolve your Doom3 problems.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Alright, well, I did find 10.8 catalyst which lets you turn it completely off. So at least I have good skies again for now :)

I did try a screenie, but lockup again. Really annoying lock up too because I can alt-tab and bring up task manager. I can tab and enter to scroll through programs, but I can't end Doom3 without a reboot.

Because id in their infinite wisdom try to catch most task switching / task manager type combos, some however fall through on Windows 7. You can Alt+tab if you're in windows, cant while you're in fullscreen. You can always get to Task Manager now however.

Anyway, all of those stupid limits are gone in 1.08 (my first act on the source :)).

As for the crash - I would make a ticket about it if you could BC, I'm off to bed now (6am whee).

Checked the path, it's correct, I assume the issue lies with devil or the format enum, I didn't get time to check it out.

Not sure why there's a temp idStr there anyway, c string will be fine in both uses, and less messy.

• Like 1

For the record, I've never had any problems with screen captures before, but trying to do so just crashed on me last night in 1.08.

I am also getting crashes in v1.08 with bind F12 screenshot. I tried changing tdm screenshot format to png but same issue. I could build thedarkmod.exe with debugging on I guess and step into it and try and catch the crash I guess.

• 2 months later...

I think I have resolved this for JPEGs (in SVN). If you have SVN access, grab the latest revision and give it a spin.

AluminumHaste: If you could provide me with the call stack when it crashes with PNGs, that would be great.

I am the bat. The night is mine.

I'm pretty sure I was mistaken with the png crashing. I had set the screenshot format to png but I'm also thinking I must have typed it in wrong or something because I can't reproduce the error. So to recap: png works. :)

Okay checked out latest source and built exe and dll and it's working perfectly with screenshot set as jpg. Also, browsing the screenshots for downloadable maps in game no longer crash thedarkmod. Thank you taaaki!

I've commited the updated dll and exe to svn for others.