The Dark Mod Forums

Youtuber needs encouragement....

AluminumHaste

LOL I was literally laughing and yelling at my monitor that he had to shoot the rope arrows into the rotating boxes at the top of the swing :laugh:

lol, me too. Though to be fair he did find an alternate route... Not to mention I was a bit stumped at that point myself if I racall correctly. (maybe not for that ling but...)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Here's another potential Youtuber who needs encouragement. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lsEL5yu_pM&feature=related

He seemed to really enjoy Alberics Curse, but he didn't make it through this one. He got frustrated and gave up on part 6. I told him to give some of the great missions like A Score to Settle and Transaction a try.

Also, he was another player who didn't know about basic things like picking up bodies and aiming above torches to put them out with water arrows. IIRC he said he played the Training Mission.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Its funny, they try to hide in the shadows, they try to take out the guards, but the one thing they do not try is the obvious one. Run like hell! That's what I did in that part of the mission and it made it more exciting as guards were searching for me as I went on with the mission.

Been awhile since I played but I probably ended up running too, I think I recall that.

Though that is an 'unusual' start for a thief mission, and it looks like that was the first one this guy jumped into.

It was like one of those bad zombie movies... as I watched I was yelling, jump onto the roof, jump onto the roof.... but he never did... well, eventually.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Yes, especially with the part where the barrel is next to the low ledge of the building. Not to insult the guy, but it should be blatently obvious that you can jump up there. Seems a lot of people don't think vertically anymore; modern games tend to do that to people. They don't try to climb unless there's a glowing sprite saying "climb me".

My gut instinct over & over was just to run too ... haha just book it and go! At the start something was falling calling the guards at the start, so it was designed to be that way (or seems to have been) -- kind of cheap design actually, but it's just a small FM and a good scare at the start at least gets your heart going. Another instinct was to crouch when you drop down so you don't hit the wood hard, and run in to bj a guard facing away. He misunderstood the way the crystal lights up when turning in place, by the "diamond body image" rotating not the ground value, but that's fair. But he is getting a little better as it goes on.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Don't even think of looking into the light!!!

^_^ I had to laugh in first place but now I wonder what made him discover himself that often in the beginning, though he wasn't even moving :huh:

But this video reminded me of my first tries of playing TDM years ago. I had a hard time too. My first mission was patently dangerous and it took hours to complete the mission because I was searching for clues, open windows, secret doors. Then I read I had to climp on a wall to get inside the second floor of a house. It wasn't the problem that I wasn't "thinking vertically", I just didn't know that I could mantle this high, but thin wall :D

This kinda freaked on me and I barely touched TDM, but after the many good updates and the better maps coming I got more and more into it. And the black jack system now got a lot better :P

My great wish is, that the campaign will introduce new players in the first levels and get challenching in the last ones (but without key / button hunting). Don't know if this is planned, but would be a good deal for the new players for sure ;)

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I don't know how he's picking the missions he's playing, but he's certainly not following the advice I or others gave him. Alchemist is definitely not a good one for noobs.

I don't know how he's picking the missions he's playing, but he's certainly not following the advice I or others gave him. Alchemist is definitely not a good one for noobs.

This guy is someone else from the original guy I posted about.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I really don't understand why people have so much trouble with following the training mission. Should we record lines and have a disembodied voice spell things out in the training mission like they did in The Dark Project?

Because as I said somewhere else, we need a tutorial, not a free-open-ended-training mission. People probably don't start with the training mission, and even if they do, does it really teach them things or does it not just leave them to figure them out for themselves?

Granted, we have a lot of things you need to learn, but I am not sure how long it takes to complete the training mission - I knew I gave up after getting hacked together in the sneaking section and have probably not even seen all of the training mission. Newbie players probably get frustrated much easier and start with another FM.

Edit: This is the third or fourth time I know of that someone posts plathrough videos on youtube and shows lack of basic skills, like shouldering bodies etc.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Btw, another thing that is not obvious is "how manting works". You see he spents a lot of time in the training mission debrief, but apparently doesn't figure out that you need to look at the ledge! That is important, but I am certain I missed this for a loooong time, too. If you look straight, the mantle will not work.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Insert "tip of the day" - notes into the loading screens :)

Yes, thats a good idea. And it is my bad that this isn't finished yet. :blush:

In "normal" games you also have the luxury to convert the first parts of the first mission into a sort of on-rails-tutorial. Unfortunately, we don't have that as players can start with any FM they like. But we definitely need something like this for people who are completely new to TDM (or even Thief) and come from Oblivion/HalfLife etc.

So we have either the option to make a tutorial mission - or add some code magic that adds hints everytime you do something for the first time (hold an object, drag a body etc, equip a water arrow etc). However, that code magic will be very complicated. It is much easier to add loading tips or make a small tutorial mission.

(One thing that I think he also missed was that the mouse wheel lets you hold objects closer/nearer to you. Not sure, tho. But it would reinforce that that the interface is not intuitive.)

Quote him:

"One of them has an eyepatch, wonder if I stay on his right side .. hm..nah. thats...thats too...too. .. thinky."

LOL Wonder what happens if we tell him it would actually work! Also, haven't seen the relighting behaviour, but that will be fun.

So far I like the videos, the voice grows on you over time. Definitely watching more of it.