The Dark Mod Forums

Hark! You there! — What GPU do you have?

Serpentine

TDM Players GPU Poll Early 2012  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Select which range your graphics card THAT PLAYS TDM on falls under.

• nVidia - Newish (Newer than 2xx)
    • nVidia - Older (8xxx / 9xxx)
    • AMD - Newish (Newer than HD4xxx)
    • AMD - Older (X1xxx/HD2xxx)
    • Legacy AMD/nVidia - Older than the options on here.
    • Intel / S3 - Please only select if the game runs correctly. Provide a model in thread.

Hey there,

This is a poll — Easy enough, give me the card on which you most often play TDM.

I'm also interested to know about older/Intel/laptop/S3 stuff that plays it reasonably well.

This helps me to figure out if we can use high quality compressed normalmaps everywhere, or we need to try cater for legacy stuff.

Thanks!

Serps you may want to setup more choices and make those multiple choice as I have the following that I test TDM on -

nVidia -

GTX480 1524MB - desktop

8400M 128MB - laptop

ATI -

HD3850 512MB - media

Not sure what my video would fall under. It's a geforce 105M in my laptop.

Its an rebaged 8400GS, both have 8 cores, but the 105m is clocked 4x faster The 105 will run cooler as its made on 55nm process compared to the 8400 on 80nm.

HD4650 1GB AGP.

3Dc arrived with X800 hardware but I recall you had a discussion where OpenGL didn't have an eqivalent till DX10?

Even so, HD2xxx is DX10 so your dividing line should be X1xxx and lower if DX10 is the minimum for 3Dc in OpenGL..

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Even so, HD2xxx is DX10 so your dividing line should be X1xxx and lower if DX10 is the minimum for 3Dc in OpenGL..

Older cards use the legacy drivers, which is something I find hard to care about.It also gives a better indication of other extensions and GL compliance, since it's easier to use with a list like : http://feedback.wildfiregames.com/report/opengl/

So a brief look shows that the HD2900 has the vendor neutral LATC and proprietary ATI 3Dc in OpenGL

While the X1800 only has 3Dc in OpenGL (unless the feature list is out of date...)

X800PRO is missing both...

LOL... If you have an Nvidia 9400M on OSX, no LATC for you. Windows and Linux you're good to go...

My card has LATC and 3Dc so I'm in the clear I suppose B)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

ASUS k53ta-bbr6 - Radeon HD 6720G2 1 GB (actually an HD 6520? haven't installed TDM yet)

TDM will fly on this see notebookreview, but you are using driver version 11.0 and newer you will have to create a game profile so you can disable Ai catalyst for the upside down sky issue.

2 x 9500GT sli nvidia v285.58

Blimey never seen that combo before, this must be an only gaming laptop..?

5850 1gb gddr5 (pretty damn sure they stopped using gddr3 on the 3xxx series/early (media) 4xxx/5xxx/6xxx)

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Nvidia 9800 GT

512 Mbyte

Driver: 195.36.24 Linux-x86_64

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

ATI Radeon x1950xtx 512MB GDDR4.  It was great in its time, like 2006, but sadly, not anymore.

If I can make this change nice and easy on the assets (currently theres a little issue to resolve), it should be a bit quicker at least :)

Also, Nah I dont really need reports on what card you have unless it's old and still running TDM, then it'd be appreciated :)

Too bad, you're gonna get them anyway D:< (also, having an idea of what the 'average' power of the TDM community GPU is could enable the team to put in/accept higher quality stuff, if there's no fear most of the users are gonna lag out with it)

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I used to play TDM on a Geforce 7600GS. It was playable in 800x600, average 20/30 FPS. The AI was what held me back on a lacking CPU. As I said in some other thread, when I overclocked to 2.4 GHz from 2.2, it made a quite large difference. Somebody should try one of those legacy cards in a system with modern components to see how well it can perform without other bottlenecks.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

made a oopsie with my OS, CCC no longer functions after install, cannot disable catalyst AI. looks like time to upgrade finally....

Also my legacy card performs fair, most performance-intensive areas run between 15-20 FPS, with a couple notable exceptions running at 7-10.