The Dark Mod Forums

Hark! You there! — What GPU do you have?

Serpentine

TDM Players GPU Poll Early 2012  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Select which range your graphics card THAT PLAYS TDM on falls under.

• nVidia - Newish (Newer than 2xx)
    • nVidia - Older (8xxx / 9xxx)
    • AMD - Newish (Newer than HD4xxx)
    • AMD - Older (X1xxx/HD2xxx)
    • Legacy AMD/nVidia - Older than the options on here.
    • Intel / S3 - Please only select if the game runs correctly. Provide a model in thread.

made a oopsie with my OS, CCC no longer functions after install, cannot disable catalyst AI.  looks like time to upgrade finally....

Also my legacy card performs fair, most performance-intensive areas run between 15-20 FPS, with a couple notable exceptions running at 7-10.

CCC is horrible, but you can disable it via ATi Tray Tools (get attsetup from here).

Tweaks -> Advanced Tweaks -> Untick merged 3D

Restart ATT

OpenGL -> Settings -> Advanced -> Default -> Cat AI OffEdit: This forum reformatting things format aaaargh

sorry wasn't clear on that, CCC will not install at all anymore, just drivers. I will check out attsetup, but I think I might be buying a new card anyway because I'm fed up with ATI... or rather, AMD. Years ago, I don't think i ever would of heard myself say "i'm fed up with AMD", but there it is.

Edited by ungoliant

If I googled correctly, simplen00b has an nvidia Geforce 315m. 16 CUDA cores... Hard to say but it probably performs roughly like a geforce 7600? (I'll have to check out some benchmarks...)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Thanks nbohr - had a nasty suspicion someone would ask bikerdude's question, and my only honest answer would have been a Homer Simpson-style *shrug/mouth-closed "I dunno"/stare vacantly into middle distance while scratching nether regions*

Does this mean my clicking the Intel choice on the poll is riotously wrong wrong wrong? I'm such a noob.

Intel might also be valid if you have switchable graphics... but you're probably (hopefully) using the nvidia Geforce instead ^_^

Don't worry, laptop manufacturers are notorious for making it hard to figure-out what's under the hood.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

That clears it up. Your model is Intel HD Graphics only. Fortunately that chip is much better than the previous Intel offerings.

It's... better, but still daft.

Sadly it supports the _rgtc rather than _lact extension - while they do nearly the same thing (red green vs. alpha luma), we cant use rgtc easily. The advantage of the lact layout is that it's essentially the same swizzle as the current rxgb format that doom3 shipped with. This means that we can use tga(rgba)/rxgb/lact2 all at the same time, which is very nifty, since we want to support things that have already been produced. rgtc however does not require the swizzle, and while that may actually sound easier, doom3's default is to RGBA in any case.

I will have to think about this, I had wanted to support these Intel HD shitfests, however I'm hesitant to work towards something that's potentially daft for 2% of players. I wonder if Intel have any devrel to pick brains with, their site is horrible enough to find info about this stuff.

It's... better, but still daft.

Crivens! Sounds like it's a minor miracle I'm able to play TDM at all :D.

I had wanted to support these Intel HD shitfests

Yeah, when I googled it earlier I came across several gaming reviews which were at best condescending about the chip ('Not the worst' was one of the more favourable comments). I'm not taking it personally - I am genuinely clueless about this sort of stuff and I'm just glad my ultra-cheapo laptop manages to play TDM.

(EDIT: I had asked for advice about upgrading to another Samsung laptop, but after doing some research I'm going to save up for a custom-built jobbie.)

Edited by simplen00b

Have you tried  this link? Of course, it isn't for a developers only, but who knows - maybe they'll answer you.

Yeah, sent them some mail last night, I love how the first reply to your query is a list of search results, and you have to reply to that if you want it to be seen by a person.

Really Intel, really? ;/

Judging by the fact that Intel has a several graphics drivers (each one for an appropriate chip family), instead of a universal one (like AMD & nVidia), I suppose that Intel has a several GPU driver teams. If it so (I still hope that it's not), then the chances that they'll read your letter and implement the LATC OpenGL extension are pretty weak. Still, I wish you luck :).

P.S. I can't believe that the company with 136 billion dollars of market capitalization cannot release a universal, bug-free, full-fledged driver for its GPUs for over than ten years!

P.S. I can't believe that the company with 136 billion dollars of market capitalization cannot release a universal, bug-free, full-fledged driver for its GPUs for over than ten years!

I just like getting angry at companies really, I do enjoy phonecalls from middle managers too. Banks, airlines, hardware companies... but banks are still the most fun.

Anyhoo - the reason the drivers are terrible is that if they support everything but the performance is terrible, then people expect more. If everything is broken, then its "yeah well, it's always been like this". But they've poached loads of nvidia/amd devs over the last two years, so things are bound to change some time (soonish).

Just need the bptc extension(only nv/amd atm) to have matured a bit more before it becomes a good replacement for diffuse, perhaps normals... but that's still two years off ;/

Still, keep giving me info, if you havent polled already... do so.

Like most of the others I have a newish ATI and I hate it that no work around works actually for me. So I can't see super eye candy or even my custom made skybox (because it would be turning all over the place and I would puke the sh*** out of me). I hate it, hate it, HATE IT!

:angry: <-- true hate smilie!

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Hey there Bikerdude! Yes I know, we already tried this. I tried several ways and now I feel like I had installed and reinstalled the drivers liek a thousand times. I use the standard starry night skybox for every map, to keep them from turning :mellow:

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

10.10 and 10.11 are fine. 10.12 is when that new control panel gets introduced. I reverted back to 10.10 after .11 and .12 made Deus Ex GOTY take minutes to load instead of seconds.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Funnily enough after going up to 10.12 and reverting back to 10.10, it left the new driver suite but still gave the option to turn it off in the control panel, no .xml editing required.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080