The Dark Mod Forums

And the Shadow was banished

AluminumHaste

I'd given him two warnings about negative comments in the past few weeks, and even had him on moderated posts for a week. The animated .gif thing (after several warnings about that too) was the final straw. Any cred he had built up from contributing something was more than outweighed by the constant trolling.

I think it's both interesting and odd at the same time. I can't really grasp how anyone can put out with basically being kind of a jerk all the time, like what's wrong? What makes them do it day in and day out without ever thinking twice?

I'm not going to say he was a jerk to me directly (but then again, I didn't interact an awful lot with him :P), but there were times I read through some of his posts and thought to myself like: "Where the hell is the off-button on this guy?". <_<

I just don't get it. It's fascinating that way...

I think it's both interesting and odd at the same time. I can't really grasp how anyone can put out with basically being kind of a jerk all the time, like what's wrong? What makes them do it day in and day out without ever thinking twice?

I'm not going to say he was a jerk to me directly (but then again, I didn't interact an awful lot with him :P), but there were times I read through some of his posts and thought to myself like: "Where the hell is the off-button on this guy?". <_<

I just don't get it. It's fascinating that way...

Spoken like a true psychotherapist :D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The guy is clearly mentally ill. Unfortunately this poor guy doesn't seem to be capable of putting things in perspective and seeing when he's off the rails. I've gotten my brain wrapped around a light post of near insanity myself, so I know how difficult that can be...but nobody has to put up with someone's shit just because their brain has shorted out.

Thank fucking god he's gone I just wanted to say that again. He did like 1 good thing for the community and spent the rest of the time telling mappers their shit sucks and T2 engine was better then this one.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Good riddance, little shit. Hope you either learn from it (which I don't believe - he had three accounts on moddb and got banned on all three for trolling) or stay in darkfate.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Its funny that he managed to keep forum intrested for two pages already even though he is banned. besides he was trolling elegantly in my opinion and he was devoted to the whole thing proving that with Winter harvest which all in all was quite unique and set a higher standard of scripting. Yes the huge gifs might be annoying but being honest it was more like an excuse to ban him then a real reason.

I actually am against that ban and just like jaxa am waiting for SH's next FM.

Edited by pusianka

Forums shouldn't have to tolerate two pages of trolling digression every other thread. It was an appropriate thing to do just on those grounds. (The large .gifs were just an example of him deliberately crossing a line he knew not to cross, and for the pure purpose of crossing that line. A person wouldn't normally be banned just because of that, but if they're representative of a larger pattern of behavior, and they were specifically warned & flaunted that warning, then it's appropriate. He collected quotes of people calling him out on trolling as a badge of honor.) If he wants to make his case, he can do it with the admins in emails, but he'd have to chill out with the trolling and just post like a normal person. Maybe he can come back after a year or more and he's grown out of it -- that happened with Beauty Man (and his 10 alt nicks, Blue Haze, etc) at TTLG -- or maybe he can't -- someone like buglunch never came back. Banning & age can't always reform people, but sometimes it has to be done just for a forum to function without getting derailed so much, entertaining or not.

If he still wants to make FMs, that's fine with me. He's not being banned for troll-FMs (TTLG has had those too), but for his posting behavior.

Edit: And it's not just trolling by itself. There are people that can be acerbic or strongly opinioned, even jerks, and that doesn't get you banned by itself ... Lord knows this forum has had dramas & emotional flareups even among the "reasonable" posters, lol, and a forum can and should tolerate it; people are human. But it's when you become disruptive to the point that normal conversations in threads is a constant problem because you always have to deal with it that you shouldn't have to tolerate it anymore. It's about running a forum more than you just don't like what somebody is saying or how they say it. This is a lot different, e.g., to the Eidos forums calling posts "inflammatory" as an excuse to censor strong opinions that NH & jtr7 were complaining about. The goal is always to maximize the usefulness of forums for users to express their opinions & have some dialog, serious and fun. When posters do that, it's inappropriate to censor them; when posters are actively trying to subvert that in every - single - post, something like banning is appropriate.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Even though it's not talking behind his back, I dislike anyone dehumanizing him after the fact. He did put an enormous amount of effort into his FM. He probably agonized over it more than I did "The Creeps".

I will at most mention that recording voices for Winter Harvest, helping get conversations working, helping with map scripts, was like collaborating with a middle school student who didn't study any of his subjects. I think NH's suspicious is close to what was going on.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I must admit that he had his moments. Voting "alright" in all criteria for one of Biker's FM's on the pretense that his poor English made him take the words at "literal face value" like he was some kinda Russian android was pretty funny. Even his last swipe at my use of the term "Thief-esque" via bronies pics was mildly amusing. All too often, however, he tried to mimic the dismissive taunts of folks like Zylonbane. He didn't have the aptitude to hit folks with fresh and pointed zings so instead his posts were mostly awkward and abusive rather than mocking. He must've thought he was winning some sort of cool kid contest by putting down other members. In reality, it was merely demoralizing to see such a specimen as a forum regular. It colored the perception of the target audience and demotivated FM authors who would be reminded daily that their hard word would be spit upon by folks like ShadowHide. Yes, it's practically certain that someone you dislike will play your mission but it's better not to be reminded of that fact perpetually.

Good riddence. :)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

All too often, however, he tried to mimic the dismissive taunts of folks like Zylonbane.

Lol ZB there's another prick who needs to f off. All of the posts of his I've ever read on the System Shock forums and TTLG have been of him being a complete douche. Dismissing peoples opinions as pointless and calling them all sorts of names.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Lol ZB there's another prick who needs to f off. All of the posts of his I've ever read on the System Shock forums and TTLG have been of him being a complete douche. Dismissing peoples opinions as pointless and calling them all sorts of names.

However, let's not forget that TTLG's moderators encourage this behaviour by allowing it to happen. Here, pricks are banned when they pissed everyone off enough. There, they are allowed to spew their venom. I wonder why anyone bothers to still visit TTLG. It's not like there is no alternative - say, the TDM forum. ^_^

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

ZB doesn't keep hammering on people and killing threads though. He swoops in for the zing & swoops out, and the zing will usually be a legit one, just very petty. (And he has been temp banned a number of times, for trolling in the ThiefGen & FM forums.) But if he suddenly became a nice guy, he'd get justified hell from everybody for selling out haha. So it's better he stays true to his calling.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Even his last swipe at my use of the term "Thief-esque" via bronies pics was mildly amusing.

Hehe.. No offense to anyone (I don't even knoe the whole story) but his post with the "such a cool thief-esque background, wow!" made me laugh so hard :laugh: Sometimes I just have to be silly I guess ^_^

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Oh it was silly. I posted screens from that new Alice game that had some areas that were artistically inspiring "thief-esque" and he made light of thoses pics with ponies. That was pretty harmless (and funny) IMHO. But he was not happy to leave it there though, he had to push the limits and take the opportunity to show he has no respect for the Mods too.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I think a perma-ban was a little excessive too.

I think we are pretty lenient here....considering the trolling he consistently dished out. Based on my vocal distaste for the moderating practices over on the Eidos Thief 4 forums( a forum where someone having a perfectly polite discussion can have their discussion deleted or issued a warning against ), I'm sure folks here know that I am no fan of censoring, silencing, or otherwise banning anyone, but Shadowhide was given an entire year to smarten up. His actions were also intentional, meant to provoke....like the forum members and mods were his play things. There are psychopathic or perhaps sociopathic tendencies in there...maybe a touch of both, I would have to review the definitions to know for sure...but he definitely has something going on. He didn't break some silly Term of Service that can be twisted and manipulated into whatever we see fit, no...he was simply being pretty rotten to be around in general and we don't want that here. He was given plenty of time to come around and be a functional member here, but he either wasn't capable of that due to some underlying mental problem or he simply didn't care to.

This isn't 4chan....I'm sure he will fit in well there if he isn't already a member.

In all seriousness though, I hope he is able to find help for whatever is troubling him.

I really think you're making too big assumptions. Mental illness? Its just a way of being. Go here:

www.projectstealthgame.com

Real haven of trolls! Do we care? Naaaah.

You cared too much for what he was saying in my opinion. Besides I managed to have a short conversation with him and it wasn't harsh in any way. It actually showed that he could be well educated.

He did put an enormous amount of effort into his FM.

Talking of which I am working on the update of this mission as it was handed over to me lock/stock a while ago. The castle now has 5 levels (dungeon, basement, ground, 1st, and roof), its all built with placement Ai but still have to build the servant's quarters, the Nobel's quarters on the 1st floor and the updated roof area.

At this point I think this thread isn't very constructive going on, IMO, since the guy isn't here to defend himself; I think all the opinions have been laid out & noted on whether they thought it was justified or not, or a good or bad idea; and if there was any lesson to be taken from it people got the message.

Not to cut off anything else anybody wanted to say... just that going back & forth over someone not here is kind of unfair. I think people got to say their piece about it, and further discussion can go on in PMs or emails. Just my opinion though.