The Dark Mod Forums

simplen00b

Spelling and simple grammar errors can be distracting.

Yup, especially for someone who's borderline OCD about it (like what i is)(grammatical joke there). Wouldn't say it's been a huge problem in the 20 +/- TDM FMs I've played so far - T2 FMs (the ones I played anyway) seemed to have loads more typos, although your second point may have some bearing here: -

Understandable from mission makers whose first language isn't English.

This has got me thinking (and possibly taking the post slightly off-topic) - how do the mission makers who may struggle with English* get their readables done? Is there any need for help in that area? I'd be interested to know. (I may be picking on an isolated example here - I played Silencium18's excellent 'A Special Delivery' last night and even though it's a short mission, I missed having much in the way of readables to add to the atmosphere.)

*I.e. Not those of you who speak/write English better than many of my fellow countrymen :blush:

This has got me thinking (and possibly taking the post slightly off-topic) - how do the mission makers who may struggle with English* get their readables done? Is there any need for help in that area? I'd be interested to know. (I may be picking on an isolated example here - I played Silencium18's excellent 'A Special Delivery' last night and even though it's a short mission, I missed having much in the way of readables to add to the atmosphere.)

*I.e. Not those of you who speak/write English better than many of my fellow countrymen :blush:

I'm sure you'll be the same but I'm more than happy to write up some readables for someone in that situation as long as they let me know what they want them to say. e.g. a book on the history of Viktoria may need a clue about a certain room the thief may need to visit. Let me know the secret and I'll weave it into a short 500 word story to include in the book :)

Let me know the secret and I'll weave it into a short 500 word story to include in the book :)

Somehow I feel compelled to link this thread for you, since it is related to this topic.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/12792-what-you-think-about-ingame-readables/

The main point that came out from that thread: readables are good as a spice. Too long and/or too many of them will cause "Oh god no more books" -effect.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Somehow I feel compelled to link this thread for you, since it is related to this topic.

http://forums.thedar...game-readables/

Very interesting. To go even more off-topic: maybe it's just me but I really like coming across a readable giving a hint to something I've already found. Gives me a lovely warm glow of self-satisfaction about what a clever observant thief I am. On the other hand, the extreme opposite - reading a hint and then still not being able to find the d**n thing - gives me a dismal cold glow of vengeful frustration. (Interestingly, both of these happened in Heart of Lone Salvation. Fortunately the LWGs outweighed the DCGs.)

I'm sure you'll be the same but I'm more than happy to write up some readables for someone in that situation as long as they let me know what they want them to say. e.g. a book on the history of Viktoria may need a clue about a certain room the thief may need to visit. Let me know the secret and I'll weave it into a short 500 word story to include in the book :)

I would REALLY like to get some help from any interested native speaker in fleshing out the readables in my contest mission, I have all of them planned and roughly laid out, but I'm pretty sure I'll eventually need some help with a bunch of them that I want to get right. If anyone would like to writte some atmospheric texts and personnal notes/diaries kind of thing, let me know! ;)

I would REALLY like to get some help from any interested native speaker in fleshing out the readables in my contest mission, I have all of them planned and roughly laid out, but I'm pretty sure I'll eventually need some help with a bunch of them that I want to get right. If anyone would like to writte some atmospheric texts and personnal notes/diaries kind of thing, let me know! ;)

Get in touch (PM me) and we can sort something out :)

• 1 month later...

I dont want to send pm's for that tiny bit.

Thats page 6 of my briefing i inserted after some feedback. Can someone look over it and say whether its correct/sounds awkward and if this is the case correct it?

Aside from that, the city itself offers a lot of opportunities for a professional like me. The Grimson's Bank has a branch in here. Perhaps, on my way back I could pay it a visit. For that I should be properly prepared, but my fence probably knows more...

It's pretty much fine as it is; I'd just suggest some small tweaks:

Aside from that, the city itself offers a lot of opportunities for a professional like me. Grimson's Bank has a branch here - on my way back, maybe I could pay it a visit. I'd need to be properly prepared for a job like that, but my fence can probably give me some useful information...

I'm not too sure if I understood your last sentence so I may have misinterpreted it. Feel free to disregard this - like I say, it's good as it stands :) .

It's pretty much fine as it is; I'd just suggest some small tweaks:

Aside from that, the city itself offers a lot of opportunities for a professional like me. Grimson's Bank has a branch here - on my way back, maybe I could pay it a visit. I'd need to be properly prepared for a job like that, but my fence can probably give me some useful information...

I'm not too sure if I understood your last sentence so I may have misinterpreted it. Feel free to disregard this - like I say, it's good as it stands :) .

Thanks for looking over it, i took over your second sentence. :)