The Dark Mod Forums

Help with Darkradiant

HMart

I tried and tried all i could think of but i don't seam to be able to make this well on Darkradiant, i'm still learning this great editor so maybe i just don't know how, but seams i found something that this editor struggles with, making non square door shapes on rotated brushes.

A pic will show better what i'm saying.

TPD98.gif

Is this really hard to do on this kind of editors?

edit: i realized now that i should have posted this on the DarkRadiant part of the forum, sorry about that.

Edited by HMart

If I am understanding your question well, the solution is to create your custom door at 90 degree angles, then rotate it until it fits into the wall. The same goes for most other bits of complicated construction - build them at angles which make editing easy, then rotate them.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

That was the last thing i tried and it somewhat worked but unfortunately the rotated brushes lose the grid snapping value and so don't match very well with the hole, and if i try to use the grid snapping tool it becomes distorted, if it was possible to rotate them on a different point instead of the center then maybe it would work much better, for example like this.

xbND1.gif

Yes, like melan said, building at an angle would be impossible - your wall should be composed of brushes, with a regular hole for the arched doorway; the doorway should be made of patches (and then converted to func_static so they are grouped and are much easier to select and work with), fitting the opening left in the brush wall; than you select and rotate them all (no rotation relative to other elements like you wanted, Im afraid), and place the whole group close to the other walls that compose the room.

From here there are two things I would do: decrease the grid to its smallest size (0.125), press v with the whole group selected so you enter vertice mode (remember to revert any func_static to worldspawn before doing this), select all the vertices again and hit ctrl+g to force them to snap to the grid, because its so small, chances are the geometry will barely move and there'll be no visible distortions, from here you can then select the other two walls and move the needed vertices to meet the ones from the wall you just rotated and snapped to the grid;

OR you could leave the bulk of the arch doorway unselected, and do the same but only with the outside corner vertices of the wall, connecting them to the grid and then the to the other walls. If you dont snap the vertices that need to touch the other walls, they will never really coincide, which is to be avoided at all costs.

Chances are the brush pieces that compose the archway wall might end up with slightly different angles between them, but as long as they are snapped to the grid and their vertices coincide, you know they will work well as world geometry (sealing the room, etc), and the difference will probably be too small to notice.

Edited by RPGista

this is quite easy

I recommend staying at a decent grid size, 4 works well. Also, only do this at 45* angle unless you are good with angles.

angle_doorway.jpg

make your wall, hit V for vert tool and drag a couple verts to a 45* angle. (one grid up, one grid over...)

Make two cuts from the top of your wall with clipper tool at 45 degree angles (one up, one over). Place your door and move the verts to required width. (using a doorframe model can help fill the gap)

Select the doorwidth brush and cut in half (so you have a hole and wall above it)

It's easy to fit a v=portal in there since you stayed at high grid and 45* angle.

--------

*edit, I'm making the arch atm, just a few...

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

pardon the sloppy tex alignment, didn't want to spend too much time on it ;)agnlearch2.jpg

OK, you can make a doorway on a straight wall, then rotate as close as you can to 45*, then hit ctrlG to grid snap.

Then use V, to edit the verts and get them in line.

---------

Or make doorway as above, copy one of the brushes and make a

patch>create end cap

you'll need to rotate it close to 45*, grid snap, and align with vert tool. Then you can cap it off.

The tex alignment is a little tougher but not bad. Use ctrl-alt-T to bring up the tex tool with the patch selected

Guys thanks for the help i was able to make the dooway using the RPGista workflow, baddcog sorry but unfortunately i don't understand your reply :blush: . Also i found a way to rotate brushes around arbitrary centers! :D

Workflow to rotate brushes around arbitrary centers:

1ª - Make the shape that you want.

2ª- select all brushes and convert to func_static.

3ª- Make a new brush on the place that you want the new center of rotation and convert it to func_static also.

4ª- On the Entity Inspector select the origin values from the func_static used has the new center and copy then, you can then delete it.

5ª- Past the values on the origin slot of the func_static comprising of the brushes you want to rotate, you may need to write them by hand and click apply.

6ª- Enable the "rotate func_ Entities around origin" button on the toolbar and bang you can now rotate you brushes around a new center! B)

7ª - Convert back the func_static to worldspawn.

Edited by HMart

pardon the sloppy tex alignment, didn't want to spend too much time on it ;)

OK, you can make a doorway on a straight wall, then rotate as close as you can to 45*, then hit ctrlG to grid snap.

Then use V, to edit the verts and get them in line.

---------

Or make doorway as above, copy one of the brushes and make a

patch>create end cap

you'll need to rotate it close to 45*, grid snap, and align with vert tool. Then you can cap it off.

The tex alignment is a little tougher but not bad. Use ctrl-alt-T to bring up the tex tool with the patch selected

Thanks man this does make more sense to me :)

About the rotation around specified point: I have discovered somethin that I use all the time. First i tried to change origin, but it somehow didnt worked.. But if you will clone the lelected func static and move it the origin will be between this two objects. And you can rotate around this origin and after that just convert back and delete the duplicated part..

He was sneeking silently in the night, moonlight was his enemy.

(Im not a native speaker, sorry for all miscleanous caused by my english..)

func_statics will gain the origin point of any new func_static that is merged.

So that can give you weird points. You can always select it, revert to world_spawn (right click menu), then re-func_static it and you'll get a centered origin.

I also think you can move the origin in vert edit mode as a func_static (V), but you can only move the origin, you can't move verts of a func_static.

Still, if it's a doorway you'll want a v-portal, so the main brushes need to be worldspawn and snapped to grid anyway.

Yeah, Baddcog's method is the cleanest, most professional way for sure (should go right into the wiki by the way :), along with your other awesome tutorials), but its cool that you were able to sort it out regardless. ;) Nice thinking on the rotation center thing.

Edited by RPGista

Yeah, Baddcog's method is the cleanest, most professional way for sure (should go right into the wiki by the way :), along with your other awesome tutorials), but its cool that you were able to sort it out regardless. ;) Nice thinking on the rotation center thing.

Yes i will use his advice from now on it does makes for a clean brush construction, and thanks. :)