The Dark Mod Forums

Music is a way to express yourself...

pusianka

I like it. At some points it's hard to tell whether you just played wrong or you intentionally played it that way making it kind of "progressive". ;) Neverthesless, it sounds pretty interesting, especially so because of the unusual beat-structure.

I produced some music too when I was younger, but mine was not meant for expressing myself, at least most of it. Mostly electronic party music, but I jumped through all sorts of genres from Techno, Drum & Bass, Trance, House, Dubstep and  Happy Hardcore to Hip Hop, R'n'B and romantic piano.

(Edit: I hope you feel alright, though... Buck up!)

I find that older games have some of the best music. I'm talking 8 and 16-bit games. Its all about the melody and (unlike most mainstream music) it doesn't contain bland/overdone lyrics about love. Also, I've heard some gangster rap that I like very much... particularly when it is a catchy tune where the rapper tells a story throughout the song. The melody keeps me tapping my fingers and the story keeps my attention.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Yeah, pretty cool, I'm learning to play guitar, so you just gave me some inspiration. For some reason this tune, even though it has hardly anything to do with it, kept me thinking about Scar Tissue from Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I guess it was maybe the solo part at the end?

Glad you actually like it. I don't listen so much to red hot chilli peppers but I do like them. I create music by jamming each day and it just developes by itself. This one started from a simple bass line, I couldn't get anything to it for like a month and then a certain thing happened in my life(very sad one) I took the guitar and this got out of my fingers. It was quite messy in the begnning but it had this sth, it's third tune in my life that I call a milestone in developing my guitar skills. The second guitar is a full improvisation done in a first go I just listened and hit the right string. I don't know any scales or anything, I have a rule that if the first 2 notes fit then the rest shall go.

"Play the instrument and try to tell your story."

I've been meaning to make videos of some of the songs I play on piano.

Just a matter of getting it organized in my head & getting the songs ready for it.

I'm really liking some of the songs I've been working out though -- a few of my own songs, but also traditional, classic, pop & indie songs with my own arrangements. I probably wouldn't have even done that much if I hadn't been thinking about recording them as videos someday, otherwise it probably would have just been directionless practicing & improv, which isn't particularly helpful. Thinking about arranging songs *for* something (like recording) is helpful in just giving you a direction to work things toward.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Theo@ I'm sorry but I don't know whats the name of this clay guy I jsut saw it somewhere on internet. I can send you the song in PM unless there is more people willing to download.

Demagogue@ Piano is the second instrument I wish to learn to play. Would you mind doing some piano additions if I send you sth later on? And when it comes to arranging I know what you mean. Though my method is quite simple. I play some simple chords and then build up around. I still have some bigger compositions with hell lot of streams but they are in real crappy quality and also the rythm is sth that I lacked in the past(as a matter of fact I still have huge problems with it).

• 2 weeks later...

I recently realized you actually need a good microphone to record piano music on a computer. On the internal microphone it sounds awful! But if I get a decent microphone someday, and I want to, then I can do that. =)

I've toyed with midi, but I don't have a keyboard and doing it by hand is a bit... slow.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I recently realized you actually need a good microphone to record piano music on a computer.

You need a good microphone to record any musical (or vocal) performance with decent quality. Built-in computer microphones are designed for web conferencing/VOIP and not a lot else.

I've toyed with midi, but I don't have a keyboard and doing it by hand is a bit... slow.

I have a Yamaha Clavinova, which aside from being a pretty decent digital piano, also has the ability to record a performance as MIDI and export it to a USB stick.