The Dark Mod Forums

Really need Tech help

Baddcog

Which programs? If you've had to reinstall them that'd make sense, if you just plugged the drive they were stored on into the system which had a new install, chances are there was a registry key that marked them as registered that you no longer had. Could be many things. I know that you sometimes have to re-register Windows if you change too many components in one go, I know XP did that, not sure about 7.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I don't have to reinstall windows7, I just got a pop-up that said I had to re-register within 3 days.

Max also said I had to re-register.

Funny enough, Steam sends you an email with a passcode everytime you start up from a new computer. But that must be stored locally on the HDD, it started right away no problem.

Photoshop had to reset scratch disk.

DR started fine.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

A new mobo means BC will have to reinstall windows regardless.

Not true, I swapped from a c2d/intel mobo/4 sticks of dd2 to a i7/gigabyte mobo/4 sticks ddr3 and all I had to do was reset the graphics options, everything else worked flawlessly. Total setup time after booting for the first time on the new board was the time it took to install a couple of drivers and reset the display settings. That might be the case on XP though, most of the machines I performed hdd swaps on were similar so I never really ran into that problem, or if I did sometimes a quick repair build run off the cd would fix it.

It seems to have gotten better about it since XP, I can't comment on Vista as I skipped it.

Hmm, I must me old skewl.

I haven't touched anything newer than XP, and I probably won't until compatibility issues start cropping up. I suspect when I'm 60 I'll be very similar to the current senior generation that won't touch computers and only listen to music on vinyl. Hell, it took forever for my friends to convince me to switch to XP from 2K pro, because i hated the new explorer and only wanted to use file manager.

Edited by ungoliant

Win7 is great.

You are glad you skipped Vista, what a piece of shit that was. I'm still bitter. And just got more bitter when Win7 didn't fix but instead replaced Vista.

Now 8 is coming out so who knows, I guess MS figured it was better profit to not support and improve for as long like they did with XP.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Initial comments I've seen about the current 8 beta put it as even more efficient than 7, but 7's done right by me so far, and I doubt I'll be looking to replace it until at least "win 9", or whatever they choose to call it.

The nice thing about Windows 7 is that it doesn't stop working if you don't activate it in that amount of time. It just goes in to non-genuine mode. I wonder what made them decide to allow this? Increased competition perhaps?

Also, I was thinking the other day about all these people buying IDevices. What happens if the OS or the internal storage craps out and prevents the device from booting? You can't just hook it up over USB and use the good old UMS protocol to retrieve your stuff. You can't just take out the drive and extract it either, you're pretty much at the mercy of the vendor. Now with a computer that refuses to boot, I can boot from a CD, mount the drive, and copy the data. Even if the drive doesn't mount due to excessive errors, I can take a raw image of it with dd and then run something like photorec to extract the files out of the raw image.

It is true that the Ipad is much less likely to go kaput than a Windows machine with a spinning HDD, but if it does, the user is pretty much screwed.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.