The Dark Mod Forums

Jessica Dihn's models

Baddcog

Well, I'll post the beds on bugtracker.

It's one of those issues where you're thinking "How can I save tris?" the player will never see the bottom of the bed so...

But it was only recently that someone posted the pics of patches and showed how ID4 cast from backfaces (which I still don't understand why they would do that).

And typically you don't place a candle on a bed.. so until someone does these issues don't show up (which tends to be a player 3 years later, lol).

As for trees, that's something that's usually buried in the ground, and no lights under it anyway. If an author is going to tip it over it would need roots possibly.. A cut/cross section would work in instances of a cut down tree... I don't know, it's one of those multiple choice, no choice is right things.

Add 12 tris to the bottom and an extra draw call for something that will hardly ever be seen, add 12 tris and bark to seal light - but can never be seen because the texture is wrong, leave it hollow and save tris (possible shadow issues because the engine is strange), make a new specific texture to seal 'properly' at the cost of mod bloat, make trees with a huge root system and hundreds of extra tris that are almost never seen....

==========

The clock is the same. That shape goes straight through to the back. But I welded up some of the verts in the back so the shape is basically carried through.

other wise it's build the box around the bottom, alpha the front and back of the boards in front and back of the box, then cap off the bottom...

Or leave it hollow, then weird shadows or that one author that wants to tip it over can't...

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Well, I'll post the beds on bugtracker.

It's one of those issues where you're thinking "How can I save tris?" the player will never see the bottom of the bed so...

Don't be too hard on yourself, its a usual way of thinking :)

But it was only recently that someone posted the pics of patches and showed how ID4 cast from backfaces (which I still don't understand why they would do that).

Because it is fasster than to have both shadow-casting, and also means that the front shadow volume doesn't be inside the object (e.g. the shadow starts at the back of the object, not at the front and then goes first through the object). Standard optimization technique.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Don't be too hard on yourself, its a usual way of thinking :)

I think Springheel did those! Lol, no actually I don't know, I assume without looking that probably all of our bed models are this way. (some of which are mine)

Any beds that I worked on should have a shadowmesh that would stop a candle from casting light through them. Though it's quite possible I missed something.

• 9 months later...

Well, I thought they were.

It was always confusing having a working copy and clean copy...

But i had them in a map so I'll double check at home and try to get them up...

From what i remember:

The clock was done, with lod/shadow but maybe it still needed a face texture without hands. (they were on the original tex)

The dresser was broken down into drawers, doors and shell with lod/shadow.

the teapot was broken down for lod's/coll/shadow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...